I taught myself to slap a few months ago, using a form
Where I point my thumb downwards and slap which maps
It easy to pull-slap the g and d strings
Sounds like you're using the Flea method.

Give this a try- make a loose fisted thumbs up. Hold it over your bass so the thumb is parallel to the strings. You should find that your remaining fingers are in a very nice position for popping, whilst also having the fingers in such a position that makes it quite easy to pop double stops. The humb being parallel to the strings will aid in accuracy as well.
Quote by cha33 armstrong
I slap when a woman needs it

Spam. warned.

And Ben's advise above is pretty accurate. The other thing is to remember you are going for percussive sounds, so think of your thumb as a drumstick for the "bounce" against the strings.
Is there a problem with doing Flea's style? That's the way I've always done it. But then again, I've sucked at slapping.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
slapping is as abstract a technique as picking - you can do it any number of ways. that being said, for good results if you're new to it or aren't versatile in your approach, the method DB posted is economical and commonplace.

anything comfortable that makes a sound you like will work, but you want to be able to execute in any number of ways as the piece or passage calls for it.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Rawshik
Is there a problem with doing Flea's style? That's the way I've always done it. But then again, I've sucked at slapping.

It's much more economical. If you're slapping across parallel strings, you can get away with slightly changing the angle of your wrist rather than moving your arm. It also allows for double thumbing. It's much easier to get it down accurately and limits the possibility of hitting other strings.
Quote by Hammer-On-22
I taught myself to slap a few months ago, using a form
Where I point my thumb downwards and slap which maps
It easy to pull-slap the g and d strings

A number of people use that method. They find it allows them to keep their hand relaxed and they don't have to bend their elbow as much, which makes playing easier. But you'll never look as cool as Larry Graham doing it that way!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Moon basses are indeed cool.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
while the flea technique isn't all that great for double thumbing, it is often faster to alternate between slapping and plucking normally. I'd still recommend the other techique, though.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I've always used the "loose thumbs up", which, like others have said in this thread, makes it pretty easy to transition to a "pop". When it comes to a pop, I was always formally taught that you pop the D and G, while slapping the E and A. As I've put this into practice, though, I found it easier to use the EA/DG slap/pop rule when doing octaves, or when doing some other interval that requires me to skip a string (say from the E string to the D string). However, if I'm playing up on the D and G, then there is no easy position for me to slap/pop octaves, or higher intervals. In this situation, I am likely playing a linear run or a 3rd or 5th interval on the high end of the clef, and I prefer to slap these strings instead of pop (for me, consecutive popping slows me down compared to consecutive slapping). So, I think that rule can be broken when practical. Another thing to keep in mind is that the use of hammer-ons and pull-offs can really help you speed up your lines and can sound really funky in a slap line.

Where on the strings do you guys prefer to slap? I've always liked the soft "thump" sound I get when playing up where the neck meets the body. I've heard people say they prefer to slap more down by the pickups, because it is a sharper attack. What's your preference?