UG, after two years of rocky college edjumuhkashun, I've decided to go back and finally study music. I plan on getting an Associates in Music at my local community college, but after that, I'm not sure what direction I should take. Right now, I'm torn between Jazz Performance and Music Ed.

What do ya'll think? I figure I could always major in Jazz Performance and get teacher certification but I'm not sure that it's the best option to teach without a degree in Education. I like both equally, but I don't want to double major because time and money. Throw me your thoughts! I'd add a poll, but I don't know how to
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by ProtoCosmos at Jul 6, 2013,
business and cooking, Two very important skills for working at McDonalds
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Major in survival on the streets. I hear they have fascinating classes like "Pan-handling 101", "Hobo boxing", and "Quantum mechanics".
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
At the end of the day, your degree is worthless. I say that in a good way.

Love the "homeless/McD" posts though. Pretty sure I make more money than all 3 of you guys combined.

But seriously they're right. You'll probably end up working in McDonald's or not even that if you think like an employee.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 6, 2013,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Love the "homeless/McD" posts though. Pretty sure I make more money than all 3 of you guys combined.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Computer Science.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Jazz...

I don't know, depends on how talented you are. I like to think I compose for videogames, but mostly I just make what I want, and someone comes along and wants to pay me for it/to use it, and am only now making back the money I invested in post highschool music education. I took electronic composing and production classes.

I made more when I did work at mcdonalds, I've gotten some bigger checks in music, but I'd love a consistent minimum wage job.

Being a freelance person, I make sure a lot of my stuff appeals to a certain market, those have been animation and videogames so far. One of the musicians for golden eye got a 25 cent royalty for every copy manufactured for a like, 1 minute loop. He made 5 million off that alone. Actually the only way I know to go about it is find music odd jobs and compose everything you do by yourself.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 6, 2013,
Education. With as few music jobs as there are out there, an education degree just sounds better and more useful to potential employers. At my school, music ed majors get just as much playing and performance experience as performance majors, if not more because they are required to learn various instruments and be in more ensembles. You can most likely still learn jazz (through lessons) and be in jazz ensembles with the education specialization.
Also with music, just like art, hardly anyone gives two shits if you have a degree or not, they'll skip right over that and look at your portfolio/have you audition. So while you may learn a lot, and it's neat to have, it could ultimately be wasting your time when you should be building a portfolio of recordings, or making money already.

While building my portfolio, I did a lot of hard free projects that were fun.

Now I can say my music was in games like beat hazard ultra, or symphonic tower defense, and they're far more impressed with that than that I went to Berklee.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 6, 2013,
Quote by stratkat
Also with music, just like art, hardly anyone gives two shits if you have a degree or not, they'll skip right over that and look at your portfolio/have you audition. So while you may learn a lot, and it's neat to have, it could ultimately be wasting your time when you should be building a portfolio of recordings, or making money already.

While building my portfolio, I did a lot of hard free projects that were fun.

Now I can say my music was in games like beat hazard ultra, or symphonic tower defense, and they're far more impressed with that than that I went to Berklee.

This is true. Probably the best musician I know at college right now hardly ever goes to any classes because he's already out and about playing gigs all the time. He's probably going to fail, actually but no one will care because everyone already knows he's amazing.

If you think you're going to teach down the line, even just on the side, the education degree will be helpful. If you hate teaching and think you will refuse to do it for the rest of your life, then just go for performance. Either way, you gotta practice your ass off. And college is a great place to study music because of all the like-minded musicians you have around. I won't say that you can't learn how to be a great musician if you don't go to college, but it really does provide a lot of experiences and new connections that you might not get elsewhere.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jul 6, 2013,