Hey guys, I'm in this band called Drop Deaf, we're making hard rock and we're busy with an EP right now. I've recorded my guitar through an M-Audio Fast-Track with Guitar Rig before, but I just can't get the right sound with Guitar Rig.
My equipment isn't bad, so I'm thinking about miking my amp, but I don't know how. Here's my list of gear, can you give me some advice?

Guitars:
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Squier Stratocaster with 2 Seymour Duncan mini-hums and 1 Seymour Duncan single-coil.
- Gibson SG Standard (it's from a friend but he has it in my house most of the time)

Pedals:
- Behringer SM400 Distortion (only using this one on riffs and such)
- Artec Soloist Distortion
- Morley Wah

Amp:
- Fender FM100H with 4x12 cabinet

Mics:
- Fame Dynamic
- Shure SM57
- Shure SM58 (is on the way, I ordered it last week)
- I have 5 drum mic's and one directional mic, I don't know if it's relevant now.

My current recordings have been:
Epiphone/Gibson -> Behringer SM400 -> Fender -> SM57 and Fame at the same time.

My problem with this is that my distortion doesn't sound as round as I'd like, like on this track (starting at 0:34) http://youtu.be/rBwyeeWGs4w?t=34s

I haven't recorded the drums and everything yet, so it might be fine in the final mastered track, I just want to do it right the first time.

Thanks in advance!
Play around with mic positions, that's probably the biggest issue here. Also you could be creating phase issues with the two mics, try recording with JUST the sm57 and see how it sounds.

Also WHY did you buy an SM58?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 6, 2013,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Play around with mic positions, that's probably the biggest issue here. Also you could be creating phase issues with the two mics, try recording with JUST the sm57 and see how it sounds.

Also WHY did you buy an SM58?

I have the mic's on different tracks, so I know how it sounds when I only use the SM57. I bought the SM58 last week, because it was only €60 and my Fame kinda sucks. I'm borrowing the SM57 from a church the drummer went to. I didn't know that we could borrow them until last wednesday.

What mic placement do you recommend? I've tried from 5 to 10cm away from the grill (I don't know if that's the correct English word for it) and some ambient placements with 1 mic from 1 to 1.5 meters.
The sm58 is basically the same mic as the 57 but with a grill. So there is little point in using it along side the 57.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQX71Ycrg28
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!