Hi, I'm an intermediate level guitarist who's looking to change my amp (a Roland Cube 40XL), possibly for amp modeler (not sure yet) which could offer me more versatility and better tones (i.e. Tube Amp models). I had considered getting a tube amp, but because I may being going to university in a couple of years time I'd rather have something easily portable and something that can be run through a laptop. However, I am stuck as to what setup to go for, my budget is £400 (as much as I'd love an Axe FX 2), though I may stretch a bit if something is worth it. I mainly play hard rock to technical death metal and djent, though I dabble in a bit of jazz from time to time. As such, good high gain amp models are essential. A wide range of effects are always a bonus too.

Currently I am deliberating whether to look at getting a Line 6 POD HD desktop or to buy a JAMVOX setup. Currently I think the POD would be better, but I have heard that JAMVOX has Diezel VH4, Mesa Triple Rect. and Peavey 6505 models on it, if that were the case and they sounded as good as the POD it might turn the tables slightly.

Could anyone give me some guidance on the advantages or disadvantages of these two modelers or suggest alternatives which might actually suit me better?

Thanks.
Last edited by MeshuggahAddict at Jul 6, 2013,
Have you looked into the peavey vypyr range? The old series gets a lot of good things said around here and is the go to budget modeller amp. The 60 watt tube version sounds like just what you need, and I'm sure it can be found used within your budget.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Stop making the same thread or you'll get banned
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sorry, I thought that as the former discussion had changed topic that I should move it to a new thread (i.e. the previous thread title is now un-applicable). How would I delete this thread?
The mods must have no problem with it or it would be locked.

I guess you do have some different subject matter. There are just lots of new members who will make 3+ threads that are basically the same.

OT the POD HD series is the best you will get with your budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
With a username like that wouldn't the answer have to be Line 6 Vetta?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're just using a laptop, you may be better buying Guitar Rig or Amplitube (off the top of my head, around £150 or so) and an audio interface (£100) To make it really good quality, you could also get some proper monitoring headphones (£100.) that setup would sound spot on, but not much use for public performance
What about POD farm, and the POD studio interface that goes with it, are they any good? It's just the platinum edition has some really good high gain amp models (Deizel VH4 and such) were as the others only have a couple. The same for Peavey's software, ReValver, lots of high gain amps, again, is it any good? Also, what audio interfaces would you recommend?
Last edited by MeshuggahAddict at Jul 7, 2013,
You could get a used Eleven Rack in that price range, though it's just a preamp and you'd need headphones or a powered speaker.
The newer Line 6 stuff is hard to beat for the price. I have heard very good things about Peavey's Re-valver program, but have never used it.

I would get a POD HD if I were you this will allow you to connect to your computer and have a MFX that you can use with a regular amp/giging

I know the older POD XT/X3 came with pod farm for free, not sure about the new HD
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As always, I'm recommending a Yamaha THR10.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I forgot to say that I don't play live (and I probably won't be in the future), so that capability is not necessary. I think the POD HD doesn't come with POD farm, despite that it still has stacks of distortion effects and some nice high gain amps (Engl Fireball 100, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Bogner Uber.) The tones from the Peavey Software sound really good too though, their 6505 model is awesome, but it doesn't have the versatility of the POD HD. Are they compatible with each other? With respect to Amplitube and Guitar Rig, they might not have the versatility and quality of high gain amps I'm looking for, out of the two I prefer Amplitube.
Last edited by MeshuggahAddict at Jul 7, 2013,
The Jamvox is a nice practice tool but not a serious modeler. Consider the Zoom G5 as well.
Does anyone rate the DigiTech modelers, the RP series? They seem to have a good tone. The Zoom G5 looks good, the high gain amp models (specifically the Deizel and the Krank). Also the drum machine that comes with it and the pedal looper are an added bonus.
I think the RP series are good modelers. But the Zoom has the independent stomp box configuration, which I think is the new direction in modelers. Plus the drum machine synced to the looper is really nice.

The RP1000 is nice if you want to use an amp with the 4CM hookup and it also has a loop for integrating other stomp boxes. The RP500 is a solid unit if you can find one cheap. If you are into clean tones then I think the RP is a little easier to dial in than the Zoom. But the Zoom IMO is better for high gain, and that seems like what you are looking for.
I've got the Pod HD "bean" and a number of previous Pods. At the moment, I think the Pod HD is the best on the market for that price range (it's the cheapest of the various Pod form factors). It's far more compact than rack or floor-mount modelers (tuck it in the pocket of your gig bag), but you can really extend its use for live work with an FBV Express or Shortboard in almost exactly the same way that you can leave a rack in your backline while running a footpedal out front; the important electronics are not exposed to damage as they are in a floor model.

You should be aware that there's a new version of the Pod coming out with approximately double the DSP power; it's been leaked in European advertising already. It's the same old Pod HD, but with something added to the name to denote the extra power. This means that current Pod HD500s, Pros and HD Beans should be dropping in price and/or available on the used market at reduced prices as soon as it's official.
I've listened to quite a few samples of the POD HD high gain stuff, but people have edited using Logic etc. What is the actual raw modern high gain like, the Mesa I'm not so worried about, but what's the Engl Fireball modeler like and the Line 6 Elektrik, Insane etc, does it compare to the Diezel Herbet and Krank models on the Zoom G5?
Quote by MeshuggahAddict
I've listened to quite a few samples of the POD HD high gain stuff, but people have edited using Logic etc. What is the actual raw modern high gain like

It's pretty good. Dino Cazares (Fear Factory, others) has done whole albums on the old Pod XT and uses the Pod HD, still. Here in LA the things are everywhere live -- the clubs with good inhouse sound guys love them.

If you really want to know how to set one up well for high gain, google "meambobbo." You'll find the Meambobbo Tone Guide and some Tone Demos out there, and he's a frequent user on the Line 6 Support forums. He's constantly making modifications to it, so try to get it from a source that's closest to him.
Sounds really good, especially the tightness of the tone, very precise modern gain would seem to hard to get, and by playing around with the pedals I guess you could tinker with it a lot more. The Djent tone seems to be easier to construct than with the Zoom G5, something quite important for my sound. Still I like the drum machine on the Zoom, and the they do have some good amps on their (Diezel Herbet and Krank Revolution). AHHHHH! I don't know at the moment.
Last edited by MeshuggahAddict at Jul 8, 2013,