Hopefully this is in the right category, I wasn't really sure where to put it, but I thought it would be a fun idea.

What do you think are the dead giveaways that show the differences between people that actually play the instrument and the people that "play the instrument"

One that I have is if you ask them to play a song, and the first one they play is One by Metallica, they probably "Play Guitar." And if the first thing is a good, tight jazz solo, they probably actually play the instrument.

(Note: This is meant to be taken as a joke, and is only for fun. Please don't be offended by anything that's said in this thread.)
what?

people who don't take their instrument seriously generally just kinda sound like shit.
So showing off means that you are a real guitarist? Also a solo isn't a song so you fail.

Also I wouldn't say "One" is that kind of piece. It requires some skill if you can play it cleanly from the start to the end. Of course if you just play the opening riff and nothing else, it doesn't need any real skill.

And really, what's the point of the thread if it's a joke?

But yeah, a "guitarist" would play some basic 4 chord pop song.

Oh, and what cdgraves said.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Well, if a guitarist plays a Jazz solo, I'd say they "Play guitar", but if one comes out with an arrangement of the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, then you can tell that they play the instrument. I can play this elitism thing, too <__<

I'd say a "guitarist" is generally one that exclusively plays chords to support their own singing. But, either way, if one's trying to play guitar seriously and everyone turns their noses up at them because they aren't playing Jazz, that's just wrong. Not to be arrogant, but I've picked up a lot of paid work from playing at my level, and I'd rather clean toilets in McDonalds than play Jazz, each musician will pick their own path, and that must be respected. Who knows, that guy who plays One in a music shop might one day grow up to sneer at Jazz and become a great Neoclassical guitarist, and then who is anyone to say he isn't a serious player?
Quote by seamil
Hopefully this is in the right category, I wasn't really sure where to put it, but I thought it would be a fun idea.

What do you think are the dead giveaways that show the differences between people that actually play the instrument and the people that "play the instrument"

One that I have is if you ask them to play a song, and the first one they play is One by Metallica, they probably "Play Guitar." And if the first thing is a good, tight jazz solo, they probably actually play the instrument.

(Note: This is meant to be taken as a joke, and is only for fun. Please don't be offended by anything that's said in this thread.)

people who know how to really play, approach their instrument different. you can just tell by how they hold it and the confidence they have with everything down to tuning and setting up their gear. they also usually just start playing and not think about who wants to hear what, that can come later. right now, i found a guitar and i need to play it now. people who aren't experienced are just trying to remember and play though the song. they aren't going to have the confidence and years of experience a top musician will have. they probably also can't improvise yet. i learned by improv mostly so i can make up anything on the spot, play along and learn songs i've never heard within the time it takes to listen to it, sometimes depending on the song, i can learn a new song from memory i.e. i heard a new song, sat down at the piano or guitar or whatever (i play everything) and just start playing. when you know the key of the song, it's not that hard actually.

however, that person you describe could just be trying to play something people know. who knows?
I think I get what your talking about.
Your talking about people who only play songs by other artist.
And guitarist who know how to improvise and song write.

The brain functions in a musician who only plays songs off the sheet or from memory, is very similar to people who play guitar hero or DJ hero very well.

But a brain that also improvises and is able to play a stretch of notes to whatever they want, also have a different wiring of the brain.

All in all, both have benefits and playing music either way or both are good for you.
the moment someone walks into guitar center and starts playing really loudly, they become someone who "plays guitar." that's the only time i judge people like this.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by 20Tigers
The only way to be sure is to look for the quotation marks.

This thread is meant to be a joke so yeah, this.
Guitarists practice technique, theory, and learn about the construction their instrument to a point that they can actually tell you what specs they prefer. aka, makes music.

a "Guitarist" practices songs, tries to look cool, and buys the signature guitar from their favorite band. aka, learns others' music.

but dont be ignorant. i remember my middle school days when i just learned a bunch of metal songs halfway through. 10 years later im getting paid to play jazz gigs. you have to start somewhere.

dont forget the metal though... chicks dont come running when i rip some jazz shred over Cherokee, but if i play the tapping part of One, im like instantly a sex god.
Last edited by ciano16 at Jul 6, 2013,
Anyone who plays a guitar is a guitarist. Hence the word. It doesn't matter if it he is playing one chord. He is playing a guitar. By extension, he is a guitarist. Of course, he isn't a very good guitarist, but a guitarist nonetheless. The same word would be used for a classically trained guitarist. This isn't a question of skill or ability; it is a question of etymology.

That said, I guess you could classify guitarists into guitarists and "guitarists" if you wanted to, but how are you going to distinguish this when speaking?

Because you said this was a joke, I took it very seriously. This is no joking matter.
My view of what your saying is like this.

A "guitarist" is someone who only plays to try and be popular.
Like all the people who play in metalcore bands in my area.
They're only doing it in hopes of a scene girl wanting to sleep with them.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
My view of what your saying is like this.

A "guitarist" is someone who only plays to try and be popular.
Like all the people who play in metalcore bands in my area.
They're only doing it in hopes of a scene girl wanting to sleep with them.

That's ridiculous! People are playing what they enjoy playing, I dare say I detect a hint of jealousy in that post. My problem with elitism is that it's pointless! There's always a bigger fish! "Oh, you play pop? Well I play Metal!" "Oh, you play Metal? How quaint, I play Jazz!" "Oh, you play Jazz? I play Neoclassical!" "Oh, you play Neoclassical? Well I play ACTUAL classical!" "Oh, you play Classical? I exclusively play Baroque!"

The point is, you can't judge other people for what they want to do. A lot of bands you see nowadays have guitarists who are nothing special, they aren't gonna care that some guy in his bedroom doesn't think they're a musician. Really, we could just say that a Musician is someone who makes music for others to enjoy, a 'Musician' is someone that uses elitism to justify playing music that they enjoy and little else. I understand this was made as a joke, but guitar elitism is unbearable.
usually you can just tell by the way someone plays. If they've got a nice technique going then they're probably someone who takes it seriously.

There's a difference between a beginner and someone who says they can play to look cool. One was one of the first songs I learnt, and I've come on miles since then
Quote by CelestialGuitar
That's ridiculous! People are playing what they enjoy playing, I dare say I detect a hint of jealousy in that post. My problem with elitism is that it's pointless! There's always a bigger fish! "Oh, you play pop? Well I play Metal!" "Oh, you play Metal? How quaint, I play Jazz!" "Oh, you play Jazz? I play Neoclassical!" "Oh, you play Neoclassical? Well I play ACTUAL classical!" "Oh, you play Classical? I exclusively play Baroque!"

The point is, you can't judge other people for what they want to do. A lot of bands you see nowadays have guitarists who are nothing special, they aren't gonna care that some guy in his bedroom doesn't think they're a musician. Really, we could just say that a Musician is someone who makes music for others to enjoy, a 'Musician' is someone that uses elitism to justify playing music that they enjoy and little else. I understand this was made as a joke, but guitar elitism is unbearable.

dude calm down. we arent calling any band or musician bad or genre worse than any other one. we are talking about the dumb kids who go around acting like they are good at guitar because they play the intro to One. or the kids that are a step up and play the intro and then skip to the tapping part of the solo because its easy and sounds cool.

and btw, we totally can judge anyone whenever we want for any reason. like right now im judging you for taking this way more seriously than it is. im also making other assumptions like i bet youre one of the people who gets called out for playing easy music and youre totally fed up with it. its ok man... its ok...
Quote by ciano16
dude calm down. we arent calling any band or musician bad or genre worse than any other one. we are talking about the dumb kids who go around acting like they are good at guitar because they play the intro to One. or the kids that are a step up and play the intro and then skip to the tapping part of the solo because its easy and sounds cool.

and btw, we totally can judge anyone whenever we want for any reason. like right now im judging you for taking this way more seriously than it is. im also making other assumptions like i bet youre one of the people who gets called out for playing easy music and youre totally fed up with it. its ok man... its ok...

This is a stupid post in a stupid thread.

If people enjoy playing an instrument then let them enjoy it. You don't have to be a technical, or proficient even, to enjoy playing an instrument. If you're playing for fun then you're enjoyment is the only thing that matters. If it's your job then you have to be good. Judging people who don't conform to your standards of a "guitarist" is a cheap way of elevating yourself above others through arbitrary means.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 6, 2013,
Quote by BladeSlinger
If you're playing for fun then you're enjoyment is the only thing that matters.

yeah see thats the thing. if the only "fun" they get from it is the attention of some girls, then its probably for the wrong reasons. to them, its not about enjoying it, its about being "better" than each other. thats why i judge people. it has nothing to do with how good they are. if someone learns hey there delilah, i would actually have more respect for them than someone who tries to learn fragments of songs that are too difficult for them just because they want to be cool. i have absolutely no need or desire to compare myself to them. i am not an elitist who prefers one genre over another and i will never tell someone that they suck unless they claim that they are better than anyone else. i went to high school with a plethora of these kids who constantly talked about how much faster they were than each other, while none of them were good at all. these are the "guitarists" that i thought of when i read this post. i started out as one of them, but i actually got better, opened my mind, and embraced other genres. to them, im like a guitar god, but to me, im just pretty average. i get paid gigs to play jazz guitar and sometimes bass, but i get paychecks to instruct marching and concert percussion. my personal music writing is mostly on the rock/metal side. anyone who calls me an elitist surely misunderstood something i said.

if you dont know the names of all 6 strings on your guitar, and own a $1200 syn gates custom, you are a "guitarist".
Quote by ciano16

if you dont know the names of all 6 strings on your guitar, and own a $1200 syn gates custom, you are a "guitarist".

What if you can name all SEVEN strings? Are you a god at that point?
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by ciano16
lol actually yes. 7 string guitars in the high school metal community makes you a god. same with 5 and 6 string basses.

A god of godliness? Or just a normal god? Or maybe a god of insanity?
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
who cares. this shit only matters if you're trying to impress other people, in which case you're a tard anyway. write/play music you enjoy playing and leave other ppl alone lol.
sigless
Quote by ciano16
im like instantly a sex god.

You think you are. That's a "guitarist" or a "musician" in general, somebody who plays purely to flex their own ego and is delusional as to others opinions of them. Let's be honest, vocalists are the ones likely to get any immediate boost to "sex appeal".
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Jul 6, 2013,