Jesus got a new amp!

My Rebel 30 combo had to go and here's my 'generic' Marshall now.

Can't give you an in depth-review by now as I've only had about an hour with it on a (surprisingly good sounding) Blackstar 4x8 cab and the single Celestion Elite 80 speaker of my Rebel.

But here are my impressions so far:
Ballsy and aggressive as f*ck. This thing just sounds pissed off and mean if you want it to. But then I started tweaking around and already found a great setting with my Strat that gave me:
ACDC-crunch with the humbucker, edge of breakup RHCP style cleans with singlecoils and balls out heavy gain with the SD-1 in front (gain and level cranked).
It's kinda tricky to dial in and can sound pretty bright and fizzy, but once I dialed it in, it sounded just awesome. Aggressive, cutting, thunderous on the low-end. Anyone who says this amp doesn't have any low-end doesn't know what he's doing IMO.

I'll invest in some better OD pedal or mod the hell out of my SD-1 before I do and maybe I'll also get a 10-band EQ for further tone shaping, but those things aren't THAT important. Even straight into the amp set to heavy gain it sounds amazing (IMO). Not quite as thick and meaty as the JCM800 KK I played yesterday, but more aggressive, modern and defined. Reminds me a lot of an even more aggressive sounding DSL.

Overall I'm satisfied with the trade and even if it turns out that the amp isn't my thing after all, I can probably sell it a lot easier than the Rebel...
Yet ATM the fact that I don't have a cab and I can't play the SL-X is kinda killing me, already ordered a Harley Benton 2x12 with V30s, should arrive during the following week. Will do a more in-depth review of it then.

Also, this summer in gear so far:

Quite a lot of selling, buying, trading in the last weeks, building up my rig to where I want it to be.
The Dimarzio is a white AT-1 BTW and will go in my Strat together with a Chopper in the neck.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When I tried out the SL-X, I was also very pleasantly surprised that it is not at all the one trick pony gain monster it's made out to be. The classic Marshall tone is all in there.

HNAD!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's easily my favorite Marshall they've made for the kind of music I play. Cut's like a razor, but you can still make it sound very warm. Never been able to find one in reasonable condition where I live.

HNAD!!
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
It's easily my favorite Marshall they've made for the kind of music I play. Cut's like a razor, but you can still make it sound very warm. Never been able to find one in reasonable condition where I live.

HNAD!!

Mine is in an amazing condition.
Current tubes (5881) look pretty damn new as well.
The former owner purchased it a few months ago from a 2nd hand store, that's probably why.
Also it's built in 1994, so it's basically almost as old as I am.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The SL/X is the JCM900 that doesn't need modding.

Well, apart from using the right tubes. You want a JJ ECC803 in V1 or NOS.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 7, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
The SL/X is the JCM900 that doesn't need modding.

Well, apart from using the right tubes. You want a JJ ECC803 in V1 or NOS.

HNAD

How about KT-66 in the poweramp?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I just bought a 4100 for 500 bucks. Everyone hates this amp for some reason saying it's fizzy and lacks any body. I disagree. If you dial it in right and learn its control panel and what each knob really does, it is a terrifying monster and it will hurt you if you aren't worthy. I could easily compare it to a Mesa dual rec any day.
I play mostly alt rock from the 90s. And today I totally nailed the SP's Jellybelly tone (their live sound) with a strat, a dynacomp, an ISP Decimator, and an EHX BIg Muff w/ Tone Wicker (wicker and tone set to off). And that is a rather difficult tone to replicate.
Quote by Ippon
Cool rig.

BTW, is that a custom floor?

Thanks!

But neither is that my full rig in the pic nor is that a custom floor.
Will upload a full-rig-pic as soon as the cab arrives.

Actually we got the house built about 3 or 4 years ago and when looking around at the DIY-store for some nice floor material I fell in love with that one, looks really cool indeed and I'm always getting compliments for my room.

Quote by slayer1979
I just bought a 4100 for 500 bucks. Everyone hates this amp for some reason saying it's fizzy and lacks any body. I disagree. If you dial it in right and learn its control panel and what each knob really does, it is a terrifying monster and it will hurt you if you aren't worthy. I could easily compare it to a Mesa dual rec any day.
I play mostly alt rock from the 90s. And today I totally nailed the SP's Jellybelly tone (their live sound) with a strat, a dynacomp, an ISP Decimator, and an EHX BIg Muff w/ Tone Wicker (wicker and tone set to off). And that is a rather difficult tone to replicate.

Yeah, you just have to figure out how the EQ-controls work and the amp sounds monstrous. It certainly doesn't have to hide from a Recto.

But it's certainly an amp that won't sound great with everything set at 12 o'clock.
Also it really needs a bit of volume to truly come alive, but this is going to be my gigging/rehearsing amp, not my bedroom amp mainly.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Jul 7, 2013,
Another thing: Don't listen to all of the old-heads saying a particular piece of gear sucks just because it doesn't sound exactly like all the music they listened too when they could still get it up. Blind nostalgia IMO. Just people who like to bash gear cause it's not what they have. Making good music is what really counts, and your audience won't give three ****s whether or not you've bypassed the clipping diodes in your pre-gain stage.
But the SL-X is an AMAZING amp, yes. Very good find. Hope it sounds as good as it looks lol
Quote by slayer1979
your audience won't give three ****s whether or not you've bypassed the clipping diodes in your pre-gain stage.

They very well may not. But improving tone is not, and has never been for them. It's for us.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by slayer1979
Another thing: Don't listen to all of the old-heads saying a particular piece of gear sucks just because it doesn't sound exactly like all the music they listened too when they could still get it up. Blind nostalgia IMO. Just people who like to bash gear cause it's not what they have. Making good music is what really counts, and your audience won't give three ****s whether or not you've bypassed the clipping diodes in your pre-gain stage.

I couldn't care less about people bashing things I like.
What I'm looking for is not copying the exact tone of an artist, but getting tones that work for me personally. The day before the trade I even went to a music store and tried some of the go-to high gain amps/brands (Dual Recto, 6505+, 5150 III, ENGL Ironball) as well as 2 Marshalls (DSL and JCM800 2203KK). Ended up liking the DSL and 2203KK the most for high gain (+ the DSL is just awesome clean). The SL-X does what I liked about the DSL's high gain tone, but sounds even more pissed off and brutal. I guess this won't be my last Marshall either.

BTW, not that it REALLY matters but the SL-X doesn't have those diodes, it has an extra pre-amp tube for more gain instead.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i know the slx has the x-tra pre gain tube. i was ranting cause i had to undergo the excruciating process of selecting a new head as well. everyone told me sumthin different aboot the 900. And yes im with you about creating a tone that's right for the individual. The 900 can be an unwieldy beast at times lol. Honestly better than the 800 to contradict myself. Though it will never sound like an 800, an 800 will never sound like a 900, or a 2000. The 900, though, has way more tonal variety and possibility.
If I had the money I'd buy a 2000 DSL and the 800 KK as well.

EDIT: @Ippon - check your PMs.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Jul 7, 2013,
lol if i had the money i'd do what i was born to do and get a Bogner Überschall... And a Fender mid 80s '57 reissue strat.
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Quote by JesusCrisp
How about KT-66 in the poweramp?

You've got one of those stoopid American 5881 (6L6) versions I take it. Dunno, man, they're EL34 amps everywhere else and why would you convert an EL34 JCM to 6L6's? EL34's sound more Marshally.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, it's the 5881-version and I read KT-66 sound closer to EL34s.
Also the first JTM45s were using KT-66 tubes AFAIK.

Might try the KT-66 as well as the preamp tube you suggested later on, but for now I'm already happy with what I got.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
6l6s arent bad at all. used in alot of mesas and higher gain units. why would you want an amp that sounds the same as all the rest of the marshalls?
Plus KT-88s are where it's at.
Unfortunately KT-88's aren't direct replacements for 6L6/5881 tubes.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
you need to either get a bigger transformer, cause 88s run at 45 watts apiece, or run only two in slots 1 and 4, it'll be 90 watts. there would be a rebias and a screen resistor swap would be in order. but those babies are really sumthin special. really "3D" sound. come to think of it the 2203KK has KT-88s stock.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Well, it's the 5881-version and I read KT-66 sound closer to EL34s.
Also the first JTM45s were using KT-66 tubes AFAIK.

Might try the KT-66 as well as the preamp tube you suggested later on, but for now I'm already happy with what I got.

They are marginally closer. And yeah the JTM45 is a KT66 amp. I run KT66's in mine.

You can convert it to EL34's if you want to too but you have to change some resistor values. The transformer will cope though which is always the biggest worry when going from 6L6 to EL34. I probably wouldn't bother. In fact I probably wouldn't even bother with KT66's because they are so much more expensive. You'd be better off putting that extra money towards some nice NOS preamp tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Will do/try to do that.

Also I think I'll put my money towards a better OD/Distortion pedal.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I'd love an SL-X. Nice grab. You described it nail-on-the-head. They're easily one of the ballsiest and in your face amps ever produced.

Congrats.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Nice grab! Welcome to the club.

I meant to ask, when did they start putting 5881s in them? I have been running 34s in mine per the previous owner's saying it was a 34 version, but it would be nice to know for sure. Mine hasn't blown up yet, so I'm guessing it is fine, but still.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
No idea when or why they started making them with 5881 tubes, but it sounds good enough to me, so I'm not complaining.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
1994 I think. It was because EL34's (they were using Tesla 6CA7's actually) were hard to source in the US at the time but 5881's were cheap and prevalent. It was a decision made by the American distributor on economic grounds. It wasn't some "Maericans like 6L6's" bs or anything like that. Was purely a financial decision.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 9, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
1994 I think. It was because EL34's (they were using Tesla 6CA7's actually) were hard to source in the US at the time but 5881's were cheap and prevalent. It was a decision made by the American distributor on economic grounds. It wasn't some "Maericans like 6L6's" bs or anything like that. Was purely a financial decision.

I figured it was something like that. Well I'll have to check the serial date on mine when I'm back in town, though obviously it hasn't had a problem running E34Ls for some months, just wondering if it has been modded.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.