So I'm working on a cover and the chorus has a 9 part vocal harmony. 6 male voices, and 3 female voices and I'm at a total loss on how to mix it. I've got the volume levels where I want them, but I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Since there are so many voices, should I just skip the reverb altogether? I assume no delay, and just a tiny bit of compression? I'm using Logic Pro 9 as my DAW. Any help from someone with experience in this would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
First thing I would do, assuming you've got them bang on levels wise is group them to a bus, where they could be treated together. I'd also do a high pass to around 90-100Hz just to remove unnecessary low end.

If I was after an in your face kind of thing a fair bit of compression could help there.

If I wanted an epic chorus thing going on, blending in a nice cathedral reverb is something I'd do there.

What exactly is it you're after? You may not even have to do anything, no reason to do things just for the sake of it.
Quote by dannycasevnx
First thing I would do, assuming you've got them bang on levels wise is group them to a bus, where they could be treated together. I'd also do a high pass to around 90-100Hz just to remove unnecessary low end.

If I was after an in your face kind of thing a fair bit of compression could help there.

If I wanted an epic chorus thing going on, blending in a nice cathedral reverb is something I'd do there.

What exactly is it you're after? You may not even have to do anything, no reason to do things just for the sake of it.

Soft gospel choir kind of sound. To be honest, it already sounds pretty good dry. Should I just bus them together and throw a small bit of reverb on?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by dannycasevnx
Sure, I'd recommend high passing before it hits the reverb as in my experience it can sometimes hype the low end way too much and become very messy.

Thanks! Sounds great.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Bus them together and just send a little bit to one of your main reverb sends (just to maintain that sense of depth space).

A subtle delay send can work very well if you get the times right and it suits the track. Lowpass the crap out of it so you're basically just getting a delay of the med freqs.
9 voices seems like too many delete sone of them

Hahah no but do some hig pass filter add a bit of reverb do a bit of panning
ILl admitting ve never done 9 voices but that usuakky works fine for me
Usually when it comes to vocals I say SMASH THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF THEM but in this case...

I dunno. Mild compression from, say, something like an 1176 style comp would be good. Fast attack, slowish release.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It's hard to say without listening man. Actually impossible. Could you post the recording?

ITT: (good) advice on basic vocal mixing, but not real production tips for your specific track.

How much headroom is in the track for example?

Are they per vocal stems?
is it being put solo in the mix, or with instruments over it?

How is it musically?

ie. Does it build up, are they harmonic upper structures imposed over the track, dynamic or textural chorally?

how good do the voices blend together in timbre?

How wide (if any) is the (octave spread) between the voices?

This may seem a lot, but I can hear most of those things within 20 seconds if I heard said track.

If not being able to post then I will add one tip:
- Check out tutorial on M/S compression. This is especially nice if you have a wide choir spread

Quote by Smudgee
Pan shit. Nuff said.

- Also don't pan everything everywhere, it will lose all it's coherence. Panning can be done if they sit in 2 groups or something, AS groups.

Else it will sound like some psychedelic 360 phase shit going on, or a recording of a live theathre show. Especially if musically it contains diverse contrapuntal movements.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 7, 2013,
Like everyone else already said, I'd bus them together, run some light compression just to even out the dynamics a little and add some reverb.

I recorded this track and the mixing engineer did pretty much that. 'Choir' comes in first at 1:12. I don't believe she high-passed the vocals, but that would be a good idea.

Example