I`v been playing the guitar since i was 18yo. Iv had a few Axe`s though i would say the best iv owned was a Yamaha that cost £149. My best Amp was a £150 Vox with built in effects. Together that was my best setup thoug iv had a Fender Squire and a Ibanez that was £220 but would never stay in tune and sounded shit.

My point is i could count on one hand the number of times iv played a decent guitar and at the moment iv got a £50 crafter fender copy and a £50 marshall practice amp.

I`m pretty good but it frustrates the life out me when i see young kids who`s dads have bought them their favorite musicians Sig Axe that sound immenese given that they aint that good.

So have i missed out and am i missing out having never had a decent setup. And could you maybe suggest the best guitar i could aquire for under £500 same with an amp and or effects thanks.
You could probably get a pretty good sounding set up for 500. It would help to know what kind of music your looking to play but theres a lot of good quality guitars by ibanez for under 300. and epiphone has a lot of models that are usually not too spendy but good quality. and same with amps. marshall and peavey make some really good sounding amlifiers for under 300. but again it would be helpful to know what kind of music youd be playing:P just gotta do some research and see whats best suited to you. Hope it helped
Price of gear has nothing to do with talent.

Don't hate on others for having more expensive shit. Just play and enjoy what you have.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I played a yamaha for 6 years before I moved to Schecters. If you can master songs/techniques on a cheap guitar (for me sweeping was a big issue) then playing gets much easier/smoother once you can get your hands on a more expensive instrument. Get a Peavey Vypyr modeling combo amp and a Boss Metal Zone pedal and you can make almost any guitar sound good (for metal/rock)
Quote by R45VT
Price of gear has nothing to do with talent.

Don't hate on others for having more expensive shit. Just play and enjoy what you have.

This. The other guitarist in my band had shitty gear for years, yet he still was better back then than I am now. I'm glad for him that he has been able to save up for some gear that will let his tone do some justice to his playing.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

So you like guitar, but don't like people who can afford "good quality, expensive gear" early on? That's pretty week.

Why have you never bought better equipment?
Was it not as interesting/important when you started as it is now?
Don't down beginners that have expensive set-ups, some parents don't mind buying/getting their kids the best (my son gets my PRS CE22 and my Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/Krank 4x12 when he turns 16).

Some teenagers like guitar so much they save every pay check from burger king to buy a used/new Gibson/Fender/Marshall/Mesa

And for those who are older beginners, they have jobs and buy what ever they want
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gear DOES make you sound better, and some times gear can also make it easier to do different things. My first bass was cheap and it really sucked. The strings were really much too high, and you couldn't put them lower because it would've made it sound even worse. When I got the bass I have now, I noticed everything came easier to me.
I think having a bad instrument can actually develop you faster than having the best possible equipment from the start.
High quality gear isn't always as expensive as you might think I practically live off of GC used gear you just gotta keep your eyes open for whats out there but 500 would definitely get you something decent when you narrow down what exactly you want
Quote by SHartsell
If you can master songs/techniques on a cheap guitar then playing gets much easier/smoother once you can get your hands on a more expensive instrument.)

This. I learned on a really crappy SG and it was the most horribly crafted instrument I ever played, but when I came to buy a decent guitar (a nice mid-ranged Ibanez) I almost wet myself at the difference. Everything was just a thousand times smoother, from the width of the neck, to the action, everything. Playing on that compared to the SG copy was like a dream.
Yarr!
I've played the same guitar for 11 years and use cheap stuff but I get a lot of compliments on my tone.

you just have to have a good ear, although some stuff can't be helped.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
No. If you try to practice past a certain point, your cheap gear will smash your hands with a hammer.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I was a pretty adamant defender of the epiphone les pauls for the longest time. I mean, Gibson signs off on them, so they're up to Gibson's standard, right? But once I got an actual Les Paul, you can tell immediately that there's a lot more quality in the build and parts. I could definitely notice my playing getting clearer and cleaner once I got comfortable on the thing.

Each guitar just brings out something different in your playing. It's a push/pull kind of deal, though. Sometimes, you have an idea you just want to get out and you play it the same way on every guitar. Occasinally, some tone from the guitar might inspire a different attack or apporach on the riff. Would "Sultans of Swing" be the same if Knopfler played it with a Jackson through a JCM800? Would "Crazy Train" be the same if Randy played it with a Strat through his Princeton?

Jack White likes using his Kays and Airline guitars because they have little to no sustain on their own. This way, he can't just rest up on one note while he figures out what he's going to do next. On the other side of the coin, you have a guy like Trey from Phish using a $10,000 custom made Languedoc hollowbody so he can get those long-ass, feedback-drenched single notes.

Then again... it all depends on what your definition of "good" is.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Though this thread sounds just like an immature criticism, I'll reply and say that a lot of a guitarists' tone comes from the player themselves. Sure a SP-10 with a Starcaster is going to severly limit you, but if you can put $500 together and you've got some skill, you'll sound better than a rookie with a more expensive rig.

I used a Telecaster into a Marshall Valvestate (with no pedals) for about 10 years. I would say I'm a pretty advanced player and this mediocre rig helped in some ways as I tried to get my playing to a point where I could mimic the songs I was learning, even if my rig wasn't meant for/good enough for the song I was playing.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
talent is irrespective of gear. put michael schumacher into a lada and he's still a killer driver.

that being said, crap gear can hold you back. schumacher in a lada isn't winning any formula 1 races any time soon in one.

guitar's not quite as extreme as the forumula 1 example (a forumula 1 driver might as well not turn up to an F1 race if he doesn't have an F1 car, that'd be like saying you might as well not turn up to a gig unless you have an uber-boutique custom shop guitar and amp, which obviously is crazy), but i'd still say it's analogous, to a certain extent at least.

What type of music do you play? you can get really good guitars and amps for £500 a pop (that will be good enough that they won't hold you back), but what's suitable will be dependent on what type(s) of music you want to play.

also, is it for gigging? if it's for home use, how loudly can you play at home?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 6, 2013,
To be honest, if you spend enough money to get beyond stuff made by Chinese brands that you've never heard of then in this day and age you're going to be very hard-pressed to find any gear that won't do its job.

I've been gigging regularly for years and I've learned that the only gear you need is stuff that you get on with. Bar a few boutique pedals I don't own any gear that's beyond the bottom rung of the mid-range bracket - my main guitar is a Mexican Telecaster which is about the most basic guitar it's possible to buy, and as a result it's never put a foot wrong. If I replaced it with an American Vintage one would I really notice that much difference? My Vox Valvetronix amp cost me 200 quid and also hasn't exactly been a paragon of reliability, but when I couldn't be bothered to cart it to rehearsals with my old band which actually rehearsed in a proper studio, I'd often borrow a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the session. Now, most people would call this A Very Good Amp but to be honest with me playing my Telecaster through my pedals into it it didn't really sound that different to my Far Eastern solid-state Vox.

Upshot - Don't worry about having to constantly upgrade your gear. Find something you like playing and stick with it.

And yes, there are the likes of Jack White and Dan Auerbach making great music with guitars that essentially rolled off the production line as scrap...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I'd say you can be good with crap gear. For example, Tom Morello's guitar was crap before he added those mods and is he not a great guitarist with equally good tone? Just practice and do what you can with what you got.
I've been playing for 30 years. I have an $800 Jackson and my favorite guitar is a $200 squire. I cahnged the pickups, and I know how to setup a guitar. There is no reason for a cheaper guitar to cause poor playing, unless the setup sucks.

Amps make a huge difference in sound, and can increase your enjoyment, which in turn causes you to play more/get better faster. But I guarantee if you put Steve Vai on your gear, he wouldn't all of a sudden suck, .

Better gear shouldn't make you less good, but it can make you enjoy it less than if you had the best. If you enjoy playing though, it shouldn't matter. I remember Eddie Van Halen was asked, what he looks for in a guitar? He said, "six strings".