Hi Guys I Have googled around alot and nothing tells me this and for some reason RGT. does not have a forum.
My little couisin (abi) she is really keen on playing the electric guitar because she has heard me play and she knows that the electric guitar is awesome!!! Her uncle has given her an ( Encore ) electric guitar but it only has one tone pot and it doest have a pickup selector.

Can she do RGT Guitar Exams without a pickup selector on her guitar??
I Know they are strict but Im not sure.
Not every guitar has a pickup switch. It depends on how many pickups the guitar has. If there's only one pickup in the guitar, there's most likely no pickup switch. Usually single pickup guitars have a bridge pickup that is the most usual pickup position to be used with distortion.

For example Eddie Van Halen had a guitar with only one pickup in the bridge. You can do lots of stuff with just one pickup.

Is it like this?

I didn't even touch my pickup selector when I started playing because I preferred the bridge pickup sound. Neck pickup just sounded muddy to my ears (because back then I used lots of distortion).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Exams, really? You couldn't pay me to take an exam, I play the guitar for fun.

Really though I tried when I was younger to learn guitar with a stiff collared music teacher and it just didn't work. It just seems to me the electric guitar is already an instrument that is quite removed from the usual stuffiness of the high brow music world. Not that you shouldn't learn the basics and theory, that's all good stuff.
Last edited by johnnykbop at Jul 6, 2013,
I read through the requirements and nowhere does it say that you have to change the selector switch. It's just testing your music theory knowledge, which is in no way affected by your tone.

Yes, she can take the exams on a guitar with no pickup selector.
Cheers guys will tell her and it is the exact same guitar on the picture above also is it any good !
If its not i will give her my guitar cause i am getting a fender.
Thanks
Quote by Nick.Trigg
Cheers guys will tell her and it is the exact same guitar on the picture above also is it any good !
If its not i will give her my guitar cause i am getting a fender.
Thanks

Well, I have no experience with it but it looks like a cheap starter pack guitar. So I would assume it's not very good. But if it feels good in her hands and stays in tune pretty well, it's good enough for a beginner.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by johnnykbop
Exams, really? You couldn't pay me to take an exam, I play the guitar for fun.

Really though I tried when I was younger to learn guitar with a stiff collared music teacher and it just didn't work. It just seems to me the electric guitar is already an instrument that is quite removed from the usual stuffiness of the high brow music world. Not that you shouldn't learn the basics and theory, that's all good stuff.

There's nothing wrong with working to a syllabus. You talk about learning theory but how much is a good amount? Why not continue instead of stopping? Some things work for some people, others don't. But with the right guidance you'll definitely leapfrog most people who don't have the guidance.

It's literally just putting everything you should be learning into manageable chunks, which you can be assessed on. You've learnt it all, you might as well take an exam if that's what it works towards. It can also be great for confidence and playing under pressure.

You know how may people I meet who know **** all and then try and pass off their misinformation and poor technique as 'playing from the heart'? 9/10. I have become very good at correcting people without them realising it.

With RGT You actually learn songs that you want to; Metallica, Satriani, Nirvana, Cream, Led Zeppelin. There's huge choice. You are encouraged to improvise and are assessed on it, its basically a jam session. You study guitarists, how they play, their song writing techniques, It's not stiff collared at all or like the piano lessons your mother made you take, it's a shit load of fun.

Perhaps you should have a look into it, you might learn something and have fun!
Wow! Never knew these existed...although I bet they didn't 30 years ago?

They look brilliant for someone starting out now!
It's a piece of crap and a poor choice for anyone, regardless of experience.

That probably costs $200, the guitar will struggle to stay in tune, the trem will suck, the pickups will suck, it'll feel noticeably cheap. The amp, don't get me started on that. I know a few people who had cheap Encores when I was learning back in the day. I've also see them advertised in catalogue stores. A recipe for disaster.

You might say it's good for a starter but I disagree. The tone will be uninspired, the sheer annoyance of having to tune it every 5 minutes will just encourage negative reinforcement and won't be motivating.

People who want to learn should save up and get a used Mexican Strat, Squier CV, Vintage LP, Epiphone LP Standard, Yamaha Pacifica etc and a Mustang 2 or Vypyr amp.