Hello All,
I've been searching far and wide to find the exact technique Frusciante uses with his picking hand. It's his sound I want to emulate and it all starts with a strong technique. I've seen his youtube video countless times, but it is still unclear...does he rest his palm on the lower strings when playing higher notes, when he transitions from chords to notes is there anchoring? It would mean alot to me and my sanity if I could get some advice regarding Frusciantes picking hand style.
Thanks!!,
Tonkon
What works for him works for him you should worry less about copying his picking technique and focus on getting comfortable with something that's more natural to you
Quote by ahappysloth
What works for him works for him you should worry less about copying his picking technique and focus on getting comfortable with something that's more natural to you

that was probably the worst answer you could have given. I have tried multiple times to do the same thing and find a style by one of my favorite artists. After all that's why we usually get in to guitar. I'm really tired of people saying learn your own style. That's a great thing to do if we wasn't trying to ask for a specific style to learn.
Quote by xSublime216x
that was probably the worst answer you could have given. I have tried multiple times to do the same thing and find a style by one of my favorite artists. After all that's why we usually get in to guitar. I'm really tired of people saying learn your own style. That's a great thing to do if we wasn't trying to ask for a specific style to learn.

Well I personally disagree I think that finding what ever works for you is better than trying to copy what some one else does just because you admire them. I'm a huge Johnny Greenwood fan but I don't want to play like him or copy his picking technique. But that's not to say that trying to emulate a certain guitarist's technique is wrong whatever works for the individual works
What part exactly of Fruciante's playing are you trying to copy? Just saying "his picking" isn't exactly very specific...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ahappysloth
Well I personally disagree I think that finding what ever works for you is better than trying to copy what some one else does just because you admire them. I'm a huge Johnny Greenwood fan but I don't want to play like him or copy his picking technique. But that's not to say that trying to emulate a certain guitarist's technique is wrong whatever works for the individual works

Well he does want to copy frusciante, so saying learn your own technique is counter productive. I searched for a while to try to get the tone like adam jones because i wanted to play Tool songs and have them sound like Tool. Half the answers i found were just find what works for you on the amp. Not helpful
Emulation of someone you admire is a really great way to learn how to master the instrument. Of course it's important to develop your own voice, but nobody develops their own technique in a vacuum. Knowing how things are done is always empowering.

Anyway, Frusciante's muting and blocking technique comes almost exclusively from his left hand, as is the case with most funk-styled guitarists. Sometimes for effect he'll use an extended palm mute where you want more thump in the bass than the usual funk ring and mute which is a thinner sounding chord. Here's an example of that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYbdVsWRqEQ

I want to stress that that is an exception, though. Frusciante almost exclusively uses left hand muting, especially with his RHCP work. I can only think of a couple examples of just a few notes (the three notes after 'with the birds I'll share' at about 1:20 in Scar Tissue for instance) that might be palm muted. The vast majority of his work is right hand picked, left hand muted. In figures 3 - 5 in this lesson, you can really see how he almost always does the muting with the left hand. At about 7:00 he talks about specific string blocking with the left hand - he basically answers your question word for word, doesn't get much better than that
Really, you should just watch the whole video, there's no better way to emulate Frusciante's right/left hand techniques than having him show you how to do it. If you've got a decent start on his technique this video really ought to clear up any minor technical details as far as which hand does what.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU_sxusyuoI

And for example in The Will to Death you can hear a very 'naked' track of his guitar, which showcases the way he mutes and 'breathes' the chords almost exclusively with the left hand even when he's not playing funk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7VWAr2WI4Y
Thanks Roc8995, I think with good practice and good patience it'll come.. being lil john frusciante doesn't happen overnight.. but again definitely will implement these styles with confidence!! Thanks
There's nothing particularly distinctive about Frusciante's style. His influences are pretty much standard classic rock and funk. I hear a lot of Hendrix style rhythm playing from the big RHCP singles circa 1991.