nevre tried one, but i'm guessing it's based on an 18 watt marshall.

just talk to cathbard. he makes them (18 watt marshall clones, i mean) and lives in australia.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
nevre tried one, but i'm guessing it's based on an 18 watt marshall.

just talk to cathbard. he makes them (18 watt marshall clones, i mean) and lives in australia.

Cool, thanks.

Yes the Marshall is out of my price range.
Last edited by wiggedy at Jul 6, 2013,
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know. Parts by themselves would be close to $500 give or take without the cabinet (and I am talking about the head version.) Doesn't sound over the top to me for all that work. It's hand built by Aussies using quality components, not slapped together out of the cheapest crap they could get away with in a Chinese sweatshop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I don't know. Parts by themselves would be close to $500 give or take without the cabinet (and I am talking about the head version.) Doesn't sound over the top to me for all that work. It's hand built by Aussies using quality components, not slapped together out of the cheapest crap they could get away with in a Chinese sweatshop.

I wouldn't knock someone for spending that kind of money if they wanted, and I certainly appreciate a quality builder. I just meant, for my purposes, this amp wouldn't really be useful enough to spend more than $500 on.

It looks like they are based in the U.S., so I don't quite understand the handbuilt by Aussies portion of your post. I'm too lazy to actually do any research though.
Quote by Cathbard

The 18 watter i built wasin the $400-$500 not including the tubes and speaker. Transforms are expensive same for caps. Its labor intensive.

Than i needed a cab headshell, i built it in a friends shop still took a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard

Love the JD Amp, what do you recommend to use for a cabinet?

I use a 1z12 running an Aussie "boutique" greenback clone. Two would be better if you were gigging. They're made in Melbournes in the old Plessey/Rola plant. Awesome speakers. The 30W version is more greenbacky than the greenbacks Celestion make today.

These: http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/product/lorantz-12-30w-16ohm-speaker-56858/

If you email Lorantz they will send you the dimensions for the cab if you want to make one yourself.

Here's a clip of one of my JD amps (which are faithful Marshall replicas) through that speaker.
http://cathbard.com/files/sibly.mp3

Quote by patriotplayer90
I wouldn't knock someone for spending that kind of money if they wanted, and I certainly appreciate a quality builder. I just meant, for my purposes, this amp wouldn't really be useful enough to spend more than $500 on.

It looks like they are based in the U.S., so I don't quite understand the handbuilt by Aussies portion of your post. I'm too lazy to actually do any research though.
Parts alone are about $500 so you wouldn't pay the builder a cent for his labour.
For some reason I thought they were Australian, hadn't woken up properly I guess. So just replace "Aussie" with "American" and the statement stands.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 7, 2013,
Quote by wiggedy
Anyone have one, or an opinion good or bad?
Just as a guess, these are probably darn good amps. However, it is a "boutique" item, and a small maker needs to make more per amp than say, someone like Peavey. Although today, even a Fender "Princeton Reverb", is like about nine.

If you're interested in a Marshall, "tribute amp", you should be asking what else is around to make an apples to apples comparison with.
Quote by wiggedy
Also, they make a 2/12 version. What does that do for the sound?
Well, you have double the cone area, so they move double the air. It's not really that simple, but then again it is.

Quote by wiggedy
If I get one, it will be by post from the US. No dealers here in Australia.
Like somebody else said, Cathbard claims he's from Australia.
Where in Australia are you by the way? I'm in country Victoria.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Eh, once you get into things like import tax, the amount spent on a step down transformer and shipping the price would go up about $4-500.

I'd much rather have Cath build me an amp. He's a stand up bloke, he won't dick you around. When he does a job he does it right and he does it well.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Cathbard
Where in Australia are you by the way? I'm in country Victoria.

I am in Newcastle NSW.