I think they are somewhat different, but not ontologically
30 28%
No.
33 31%
I don't know, I'm a human being FFS
10 9%
Voters: 107.
Page 1 of 4
This isn't a question about whether or not humans can be slightly different from animals, as that would be idiotic. Instead, I'm inquiring as to whether or not you believe humans are ontologically distinct from animals? Do you subscribe to human exceptionalism?

Why?

EDIT: for those who don't actually understand the question, I'm not actually asking who would win in a fight, humans or animals. I'm asking if they have different moral worth.
Last edited by progdude93 at Jul 6, 2013,
I don't know what ontological means but humans are obviously better because we are the dominant intelligent species on the planet. If a species were in that position and didn't think they were somehow better than the species around them I'd question what the hell was wrong with it
well yea, we're better
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Watch two humans fuck.

then watch a couple of giraffes fuck.

we're different.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Stupid question. Humans are superior in our environment; animals in theirs.

We can destroy their environments and kill them with guns so we're still better in their environment
Lmao, we started out in the 'animal environment' and then used it to create our own. So we pwn in both environments.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Stupid question. Humans are superior in our environment; animals in theirs.

lol, no
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
^makes so much more sense now.

LOL.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by progdude93
updated OP

yes

except for dogs
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I think most higher organisms are conscious like us, but very few have the ability to understand that other creatures are conscious. We may be the only ones capable of that. But we aren't 'not animals'.
Quote by nincompoop
"Do you think humans are different from animals?"

Let me answer with another question: Do you think pizza is different from food?

Couldn't be a more perfect analogy.
Quote by Overlord
I think I get what ya mean OP, and I'd say no.

I don't think humans are "sacred" or anything like that compared to animals. And while we are better in a lot of ways like intelligence or cornholing, animals are also better than us in a lot of ways. My cat can hear and smell way better than I can. Birds can f*cking fly. etc.

I also think that while one human life should be valued above one animal life generally speaking, we as humans have really exaggerated that idea to think that we can do f*ck all whatever we want with them and we have the right because we're more intelligent or civilized.
I think animals would totally kick our asses in a fight, good question! Those claws man.

Quote by blake1221
We are no better than animals.

Yes we are..
Quote by Overlord
Quote by darkcheef
We can destroy their environments and kill them with guns so we're still better in their environment

It's against the point. Throw a man out in the jungle and compare that to throwing a gorilla out in the jungle. I think if the man wasnt educated he'd die pretty fast.
As to whether humans should be valued more than animals? Yes. We have an evolutionary imperative to survive, and humans are more important to that goal than animals, in general.

But really this comes down to what you value, and that is subjective. Humans are more complex, we influence the environment more, we are more intelligent and understand the universe more, and we create art and express ourselves. Those would probably be my personal reasons.
Ontologically? No. We're a species of ape that through natural selection has highly developed cognitive faculties. There is very little that separates us from chimpanzees or even gorillas. We just happened to have reached a key point of intellectual development first that allows a species to develop iteratively.
Quote by blake1221
Grade A rebuttal right here, folks.

And your original claim was so in depth, too.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
And your original claim was so in depth, too.

I merely stated what I thought on the issue. If you care enough to voice your disagreement, the onus is on you to explain why.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
It's against the point. Throw a man out in the jungle and compare that to throwing a gorilla out in the jungle. I think if the man wasnt educated he'd die pretty fast.

Throw a man out in the jungle with a gun and compare that to throwing a gorilla out in the jungle
Quote by darkcheef
Throw a man out in the jungle with a gun and compare that to throwing a gorilla out in the jungle

Your statement brings light to the fact that a man is dependent on a large, industrialized population in order for him to be successful in single combat with a gorilla, whereas the gorilla is just a ripped mother****er who will snap your spine in two.
Quote by blake1221
We are no better than animals.

Of course we are.

Which other animals make compassionate decisions based on logic rather than instinct? Which other animals build democracies, carry out research to cure illnesses in other species, try to learn about the world around us, maintain sanctuaries so other animals can be safe and blah blah blah

Plus the fact we'll fuck up any animal on this planet, it's pretty obvious that we are far and away the best animals on earth and human exceptionalism is just an acceptance of reality.
Quote by Wolforn
Your statement brings light to the fact that a man is dependent on a large, industrialized population in order for him to be successful in single combat with a gorilla, whereas the gorilla is just a ripped mother****er who will snap your spine in two.

That's because man is smart, I'm sorry you're a gorilla lover but we're better than them and can kill them by moving our fingers.
Quote by blake1221
I merely stated what I thought on the issue. If you care enough to voice your disagreement, the onus is on you to explain why.

I merely stated what I thought on the issue as well. Perhaps if you had explained more in the first place, I'd have more to go off of.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by willT08
Of course we are.

Which other animals make compassionate decisions based on logic rather than instinct? Which other animals build democracies, carry out research to cure illnesses in other species, try to learn about the world around us, maintain sanctuaries so other animals can be safe and blah blah blah\

Dolphins.
Right...

I'm unaware of Dolphins doing literally anything on that list. Am I gonna have to read studies on Dolphins at 4 in the morning or are we gonna decide that Dolphins don't actually build democracies and carry out research?
Humans are nasty, greedy, selfish bastards. At times, I'm ashamed to be human.
RIP Tom Searle.
Page 1 of 4