How do you go about songwriting? Do you follow the standard intro verse chorus bridge format or do you think of the process differently?

Also if you are in a particular key do you usually start each section of the song with the tonic chord? And do you think of your song in terms of just chords as the foundation to build off of and create more complex sounding parts as if there was not a chord behind the part?
i don't pick my form or key ahead of time. they are superficial limitations that should come across organically as the piece unfolds for you.

typically it'll start with a theme, not unlikely a theme that i hear in my head while showering and rush to record on my phone mic so it isn't lost into the aether. this could come from a strange chord change, a rhythmic idea, just any sort of idea that i build off of, or a lick or riff that i break down and suck of its marrow to create a voice that i'm happy with.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Often starts with music. Guitar is my main thing so usually comes before vocals. Often use the standard form but venture away when the song requires it. I reckon starting every section on the tonic makes a song sound static and boring. Starting on the IV, or bVI in minor can give it a nice lift, sync up with a relative lyric and you've got a sweet sound
Usually it'll start with a theme I get from expanding on any of the few little melodies I've gotten over time. I try not to do verse-chorus-verse structure. Not out of an attempt to be different but more that anytime I go down that route it just fells generic and dull and I can rarely pull off a simple catchy song in that format. For the most part I'll just let structure and chords/key come naturally.
Quote by Kueller917
For the most part I'll just let structure and chords/key come naturally.

This. I don't plan structure or chord progression in advance. I just start writing and listen to the sounds in my head. I might start with a rhythm, melody, riff, drumbeat, bassline or whatever comes to my mind first.

Though usually my song structure is verse-chorus-verse-chorus-interesting third part-verse-chorus. But it comes naturally. I don't decide to use a certain structure. It just feels like the song needs to go like that.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
"You take the sum of experience , intuition, and emotion and let the song flow"- J.R
Quote by Unreal T
How do you go about songwriting? Do you follow the standard intro verse chorus bridge format or do you think of the process differently
Generally, I start with the intro. When I get to a transition I just write what I feel should come next naturally and then repeat with each next transition until I get to an obvious end. Sticking to the usual Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Solo/Bridge, Chorus structure found in most songs is limiting imo.

Quote by Unreal T
Also if you are in a particular key do you usually start each section of the song with the tonic chord? And do you think of your song in terms of just chords as the foundation to build off of and create more complex sounding parts as if there was not a chord behind the part?
I normally go through a bunch of chords until I find the one that sounds most natural. I guess I do use a chord progression as the foundation of a song (or section of a song) but it's not like you have to. It could just as easily be a riff.

FYI, I write with Guitar Pro 5 instead of actual instruments (then learn it after).
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jul 7, 2013,
What's the point of the song? What's it about? That should direct the entire process. If it's not, it'll either come out a directionless mess or if you're incredibly lucky, decent.

Jam sessions are great because you can find complex interactions between the instruments. The difference between an album written like a jigsaw puzzle of riffs (Death Magnetic; good album but not quite there) and something interesting and cohesive to listen to with repeated listenings (Master of Puppets, Nebularium, etc.; note how the bass is doing completely different things to the guitar, but it still WORKS)
Last edited by jameswilddev at Jul 7, 2013,