Poll: Should boxing be illegal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should boxing be illegal?
Yes, it should be illegal
10 11%
No, it should be legal
83 89%
Voters: 93.
Page 1 of 3
It's been proven that taking blows to the head is one of the worst things you can do to your body, and if you look at any retired boxer, you see how messed up it makes you. So on one hand, I think people should be prevented from doing that to themselves. But on the other hand I guess people should be able to do what they want, plus people have been doing it for thousands of years. People love watching other people fight.

What do you think?
People should be able to consent to engage in dangerous activities so long as it doesn't bring harm to anyone who is non-consenting.

So boxing passersby on the street would be a no-no but two consenting adults should be able to beat each other retarded for money should they choose.
If boxing is illegal then basketball and soccer should also be illegal cuz the ball hit me on the head both times we played those in PE
cat
Nobody put a gun to their head and said 'go box,' they made the decision to do so themselves. Like you said, it's known how terrible it is for your body, and you can see that just by looking at any retired boxer. Plus it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a sport that involves giving and taking beatings that would send most people to the hospital and often involve one man being knocked out cold is pretty bad for your long-term health.

The information's out there and easily accessible, if they make an informed decision that they enjoy fighting another man enough that they and the other man are willing to sacrifice their long-term health for it, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to.

Also I'm pretty sure America tried outlawing boxing in the early 20th century and it ended up just making it worse because people that loved it still found it or did it, and it's a lot harder to have certified medical staff at a back-alley ring in the basement of a bar than it is at a stadium.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 6, 2013,
Hell no, anyone who thinks it should be is like a soccer mom trying to ban naughty stuff on television.
Might as well make football illegal too.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
On those grounds any contact sports that involve tackling should be severely restrained as well
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by darkcheef
Boxing is already dead anyway, give it 15 years and it'll be over.

Wat?

Isn't Floyd Mayweather one of the highest paid people in all of professional sports?
Quote by Carnivean
Might as well make football illegal too.

I think it will be within 25 years. Either that or very very different.
Quote by darfcheef
Boxing is already dead anyway, give it 15 years and it'll be over.

I always think that too but Mayweather and Broner fights are still a big deal.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
People should be able to consent to engage in dangerous activities so long as it doesn't bring harm to anyone who is non-consenting.

So boxing passersby on the street would be a no-no but two consenting adults should be able to beat each other retarded for money should they choose.

This guy's got it right.
Are you serious, TS? Jesus Christ...

No, of course it shouldn't be illegal.

They choose to do it, well aware of the possible consequences.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Are you serious, TS? Jesus Christ...

No, of course it shouldn't be illegal.

They choose to do it, well aware of the possible consequences.

It's illegal in Iceland and Norway so it's a valid question.

And most boxers come from poor uneducated backgrounds so idk how aware they are of the consequences.
You mean injury-proof? In 25 years? I highly, highly doubt it. Certain groups of people may push for extreme safety measures in the future, and there will be a group of people to counter those people and remind them that there's only so much you can change until its not even football anymore. That, and I don't think people will want to pay to watch a bunch of guys wrapped in diapers bounce off each other.
Quote by Overlord
Absolutely.

Barbaric. Doesn't even try to pretend it's not about making money out of watching people beat the living shit out of each other. Might as well be back in the Colosseum.
what's your take on fighting in hockey, isles?

Quote by Carnivean
You mean injury-proof? In 25 years? I highly, highly doubt it. Certain groups of people may push for extreme safety measures in the future, and there will be a group of people to counter those people and remind them that there's only so much you can change until its not even football anymore. That, and I don't think people will want to pay to watch a bunch of guys wrapped in diapers bounce off each other.

Yeah I honestly think the NFL will be dead and gone within 25 years. Only so many players can shoot themselves in the chest before people stop watching, or more importantly, sponsors stop sponsoring. I hope someone comes up with a solution though.

EDIT - ^I hate fighting. Hockey would be so much better without it. idgaf if it changes momentum or w/e, it's childish and stupid.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Yeah I honestly think the NFL will be dead and gone within 25 years. Only so many players can shoot themselves in the chest before people stop watching, or more importantly, sponsors stop sponsoring. I hope someone comes up with a solution though.

nah

I can't really think of anyone who has given a shit about NFL head injuries. It's usually met with people saying "They get payed millions of dollars to play a game that they don't have to play. I don't care"
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts

I disagree with this.

Other people should not have to consent. If I want to go up to a random person on the street and challenge them to box they should be REQUIRED to defend their honor and box me. Otherwise they should be shunned to china.
Quote by willT08
Absolutely.

Barbaric. Doesn't even try to pretend it's not about making money out of watching people beat the living shit out of each other. Might as well be back in the Colosseum.

Are you for real? I can't tell.
Quote by willT08
Absolutely.

I just don't get this opinion. People are passionate about professional fighting. They train in martial arts around the world to compare their learned skills with others'. I see know problem with that, you just need to be aware of the risks, just like with nearly any other physical sport, even something like NASCAR. Pro fighters are testing their world-class skills against other fighters, its not like we're sitting around watching two random drunk guys beat the shit out of each other, no referee no nothing.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by genghisgandhi
It's illegal in Iceland and Norway so it's a valid question.

And most boxers come from poor uneducated backgrounds so idk how aware they are of the consequences.

Well, Iceland and Norway aren't the best of countries to be looking at for pretty much anything.

Modern boxers are more educated than you think, most have collage degrees, but in todays times a collage degree doesn't mean a thing.
I love it. It's called the sweet science for a reason.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by ethan_hanus
most have collage degrees

This I can believe.

Only just about able to stick paper down after being beaten in the face over and over again so their manager and a few dodgy bookies can make a quick buck
Quote by genghisgandhi

EDIT - ^I hate fighting. Hockey would be so much better without it. idgaf if it changes momentum or w/e, it's childish and stupid.

I'm pretty sure people love seeing the big hits, and love seeing fights in hockey. There are youtube compilations of some of the most brutal hits of all time.. and they have millions of views. I think most people can't get enough honestly, ghengis.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by WCPhils
of course not

You rang?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by ethan_hanus
They are also tiny itty bitty countries compared to America, apples and oranges.

so if anything they should need guns more than americans since the govt can control their people more easily.

Unless you mean there are fewer murders there because their small. Look at their per capita murder rates.
Last edited by genghisgandhi at Jul 7, 2013,
Quote by OfCourseNot
You rang?

I thought of you while typing it :3
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by willT08
Absolutely.

That could be fun - fights to the death between two people who don't want to be there in the first place would be much more entertaining than a fight to unconsciousness between two people who get paid buckets of money to do so.
Page 1 of 3