I seem to have just noticed my AC30C2 hissing like a snake. I'm not sure if this was always apparent, or if something's wrong, but if you guys could help me out here.

So I plugged in with a 339 and being a humbucker guitar, I noticed a hiss in the background and I was like.. wait, what? I put the master volume up and the hiss got louder.

So I unplugged my guitar and made sure nothing was connected into the amp, and decided to see if the hiss was still there.

Sure enough the hiss is there and gets louder as you turn the master volume up, even without a guitar plugged in.

I recorded a video which I'll put up really soon, but if you guys have any knowledge on what this is, please let me know!

I had a look at the back of the amp to see if any tubes looked strange but I'm not a tech and they were all glowing orange.

Cheers.

EDIT: This AC30 is roughly 8 months old and was bought brand new. I've gigged maybe two or three times with it, even then only for a total amount of time of maybe 1.5 hours at volume 1/4 - 1/2 of the way up (mic'ed up). Mainly being used at home with the master volume 1/4 of the way up.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Jul 7, 2013,
Preamp tube, probably. Start there.

"Glowing orange" indicates that a tube is working in the way that "making noise" indicates a car is working - it tells you something, but only in that it's not broken in a specific way.
Sounds like a tube issue. Have they been changed at all? Have you checked the lead?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
It actually could be the lead, I'll try something else and see what the results are.

EDIT: -Facepalm. just realized I said it happens without a lead.
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Jul 7, 2013,
You said it was hissing with nothing plugged in so it isn't the lead. Probably a dodgey tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You said it was hissing with nothing plugged in so it isn't the lead. Probably a dodgey tube.

He said with no guitar plugged in, so I'm guessing he's keeping the lead in the amp.

Plus he just said it doesn't happen with the lead plugged in.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Every amp has some background hiss. It sounded normal. When you crank the volume up, the hiss gets louder. That's how it is with any amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah the volume did go up to full. I haven't noticed this before though. I'm sure I didn't hear it this bad at least a week ago.
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.