Page 1 of 2
I know there's been a lot of threads on what you'll be doing in the next 5/10/15 years but I don't recall seeing anything about the past. If there is a thread on this already I'm sorry.

I think I appear to have changed a lot but I'm really still exactly the same. Maybe just a tiny bit more outgoing but at face value it looks like I'm a LOT more outgoing. What has changed most is that I value money a lot more than I used to and am more willing to embrace materialism but that's about it. I also became more concerned with my appearance. Also in high school people thought I was smart because I'm asian and now people think I am stupid because I like clubbing but I've always been in between so who cares about that.

I picked 5 years because it's a nice number but I just realized that I've been here for 5 years so I guess UG hasn't changed me at all.
cat
Five years ago I had terrible self-esteem, was a virgin, and had never had a girlfriend. I'm much more confident in myself and I'm less idealistic.

Didn't grow a single inch though.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I stopped letting my hair grow out, and stopped being so reserved. I'm a hell of lot more talkative now. I gained a fair amount of weight but also got taller. I used to be short and skinny as hell. Now I'm tall with a painfully average weight.
I'm way more outgoing and talkative now.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
5 years ago I was a 17-year-old, socially awkward, narrow-minded, musically ******ed, overweight idiot.

Now, I am 22.

Edit: When did retard become censored? That's fucking retarded.
Last edited by entity0009 at Jul 7, 2013,
- Judging by old uni & school pics, my face and body has gone from an unappealing featureless mess to a somewhat defined 8/10.

- I've gotten the hang of being charming and sociable but it's still not natural and I have to make an effort to 'turn it on' , otherwise I still appear grumpy and introverted.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I'm pretty much the same but a bit more knowledgeable about certain things and i don't have long hair anymore
Let's see...

-I'm not depressed anymore (thank f*ck)
-I have a goal in life.
-I'm almost done uni.
-I gots more coin in my pockets.
-I'm more sarcastic.
-More comfortable with my body.
-Not a virgin anymore.
-I'm more laid back.
-I don't invest in things emotionally as much as I did.
-I have a small Scottish twang.
-Not as naiive, but still am, I think.
-Learning Spanish.
-My guitar playing and singing has improved tremendously.
-I'm more comfortable with solitude.
-I'm better at detecting whether someone is full of shit or not.
Absolutely. Even just a year can change you, especially in late teens/early 20s.

5 years ago I had ugly long hair, was socially-inept, had no idea of what I wanted in life, considered myself an intellectual (despite not really being much more intelligent than the next guy), I jerked off at least once a day and had never been with a woman before, was very anti-drugs/alcohol (though I still only drink), was still playing instruments and believed I'd actually do something with my musical "skills", I was skinnier and much less attractive in general, my musical tastes were not as explored as they are now, I was strongly atheist, less responsible and self-reliant, I had a god complex and delusions of grandeur, poor taste in fashion, poor diet, and still had contact with my father.

So, the archetypal introverted teenager. I've come a very long way.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Five years ago I went to my first college trying to break from the negative household i grew up in. I tried all sorts of things to throw my life around. Everything failed miserably and i realized that it is not in my personality to be the happy wanderer. So I started to accept more and more who I'am as a person however this came with a price. My self destructiveness increased as well as my general hatred for the human race. Now I'am trying to come to terms with the measure of conformity society demands to be able to be independent again. In the process I'm also trying to temper my self destructiveness. People can't change who they are in their "core" but they can change how they deal with it.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
I've changed a ton in a great way
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Absolutely.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
In terms of how I've grown as a person, how I conduct myself and how I view life I think there has been a pretty positive change. I have a healthier outlook on life itself and death (something that I really didn't have a proper understanding of before really). That view has helped make me more humble, more grounded, and generally just more willing to slow down and enjoy the moment rather than rushing through it looking to something else.

I know what I want to do with my life and what I want to achieve. I think in many ways I am ready and will succeed in getting there, however at the same time I'm further off than I would like due to things like over a year of having to deal with cancer and such. Pretty frustrating to having major things that are out of your control sort of rock the foundations and slow down the progress towards being a functional and successful member of society, but I suppose that also builds character and dealing with these things has made me a better person than I was 5 years ago.

All in all, I've changed quite significantly which is what happens after living 5 more years of your life (especially since most of us are still young).
Since I was 15? Uh... yeah.

That's not fair, though, so I'll say over the last two years: To which I would also say yes. I was very shy, awkward, and vehemently against partying/drinking/etc.

College changes everything. I still keep to myself pretty often, but the awkwardness factor has gone down significantly and I wouldn't say I'm a party guy, per se, but I'm more open to trying things hazardous to my health. I suppose that's not a great thing

As far as hobbies, video games and guitar throughout, but with my lack of time in recent months I've found my video game time has gone up and guitar time has gone down. I still play a decent amount, though
Superfluously, I have changed. I'm no longer a virgin, I'm more confident in my abilities and personal self and I have greatly changed my outlook on things like life and politics. I'd like to think I have far better scope, and in five years, I'll probably say the same.

Personally, I am still the same person. I have deeper sense of self, I'm far more aware of how others perceive my actions to give me an idea of how I come across. That aside, I'm very much the same person. I'm absolutely goofy when I want to be, and completely serious when I need to be. I still have the same temperaments, albeit better controlled/not as drastic (as you'd expect from a young adult to a teenager). I don't know.
This is a good one, I guess i'll just bullet the differences like some others did.

5 years ago:
-Nearly 18 years old
-just graduated
-definitely way more immature than I thought I was at the time
-had no career/college goals at all
-mainly only played bass guitar
-had just joined a cheesy "grunge" band that only lasted 4 months afterwards
-was into grunge and thrash metal bands... mainly only enjoyed metal and rock
-just started smoking trees regularly
-unemployed

Now:
-nearly 23 years old
-works at a supermarket bakery, 4 years and counting
-plans to work at General Electric within the next year
-plans to go to luthier school before age 30
-mainly plays guitar
-makes ambient textures and posts them on YT
-hopes to write at least one soundtrack before death
-listens to whatever type of music strikes the mood, shuns genres
-mildly depersonalized
-still learning life lessons everyday....

I guess the only laughable similarity is the fact the I have awful luck with the opposite sex and remain a virgin.. But that's what happens when you don't go to college. My town is a terrible place to hook up anyways, everyone has a stick up their ass. I've still become far more confident than I used to be regardless of ^this fact, and I really don't see a point in letting it bother me because I still know what to do... it's just finding the right person.
Last edited by noisewall11 at Jul 7, 2013,
Quote by noisewall11
My town is a terrible place to hook up anyways, everyone has a stick up their ass.

Yeah, it's definitely their fault.
Quote by blake1221
Yeah, it's definitely their fault.

You sound like you'd fit in well here. I don't on the other hand... fine by me.
I've become lazier and my facial hair is less patchy. Otherwise, I've hardly changed. A few people I know have confirmed this.

I play a lot more video games now than I did 5 years ago.

EDIT: This thread made me realise how little my guitar skills have improved in 5 years. That's a long-ass time. I used to be able to play a whole bunch of riffs, but got stuck on guitar solos cos they were too fast. I still can't play any of the solos I've been trying to learn for many years. Shit's bad, yo.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 7, 2013,
Uhmmm, in some ways.

I'm more sociable, but I don't like people any more than I ever did. I pretty much treat meeting people as a game to just see if I can make people like me even when I have no interest in them whatsoever.

To be honest I'm still just a scared boy, except I'm bigger now.
18 Year Old Mink

No job.
About to start university.
Weighed ~120lbs
Long hair, but a sexy bastard.
Clueless twat around the womens.

23 Year Old Mink

Job.
Dropped out of uni, but passed course in Business Administration.
Weighs ~185lbs
Short hair, sexier bastard.
Clueless twat around the womens.
Let's see, 5 years ago

18 years old
-Virgin
-Terrible confidence
-Pretty pessimistic attitude
-Didn't have much of a goal
-I handled situations in petty ways

Now
23 years old
-Mellowed out a little, i could be described as pessimistic, but i'm more of a realist compared to how i used to be.
-More confident in myself, but still kind of awkward.
-Try not to get involved in situations that are just a drag, and if i do, i try to be sensible about it.
-More experience with women, but still fairly bad confidence when talking to them, so as a result, i'm still a virgin.
-Grown taller, towards the end of uni i had lost a lot of weight, and i wasn't really fat to begin with, but now i've put some of it back on.
-Now have a goal and a job.

So yeah i think i've changed for the better in some respects, but i kind of wish i had more luck with women, although that is only because i'm in a bit of a rough patch at the moment.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Jul 7, 2013,
Yeah changed massively. Have gone through University in the meantime so yeah....
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by sashki
I've become lazier and my facial hair is less patchy. Otherwise, I've hardly changed. A few people I know have confirmed this.

I play a lot more video games now than I did 5 years ago.

EDIT: This thread made me realise how little my guitar skills have improved in 5 years. That's a long-ass time. I used to be able to play a whole bunch of riffs, but got stuck on guitar solos cos they were too fast. I still can't play any of the solos I've been trying to learn for many years. Shit's bad, yo.

Virtuosity is pointless without knowing how to write a good song. Don't worry about it.

Quote by noisewall11
You sound like you'd fit in well here. I don't on the other hand... fine by me.

No, I was being honest. It sucks when every single person in an entire town isn't good enough for you, and that's why the blame is on them for you not getting your dick wet. I completely agree.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jul 7, 2013,
Quote by blake1221
No, I was being honest. It sucks when every single person in an entire town isn't good enough for you, and that's why the blame is on them for you not getting your dick wet. I completely agree.

It's got nothing to do with being good/not good enough. It's got to do with skanky girls every where and me not letting myself act on them. But I don't really care if anyone thinks I'm a loser and a shite person for being sincere. Join the club, we have punch and pie.
I don't want to answer which gives you a good indication as to how I feel my life has went.
I used to not have good hair then i started listening to metal and now i take bttr care of y hair than most girls lol
Quote by noisewall11
It's got nothing to do with being good/not good enough. It's got to do with skanky girls every where and me not letting myself act on them. But I don't really care if anyone thinks I'm a loser and a shite person for being sincere. Join the club, we have punch and pie.

Exactly, the skanky girls are nowhere near good enough for you, and I understand it's hard being from a place where literally every single one is a skanky individual.
Quote by blake1221
Exactly, the skanky girls are nowhere near good enough for you, and I understand it's hard being from a place where literally every single one is a skanky individual.

It's not a question of being "good enough", it's a question of whether or not he is interested in them and wants to associate on that personal of a level with somebody like that. It's about compatibility bro. Sometimes there just aren't really any people that are a good fit for you that are available and in your social circle in smaller towns. Chill out and stop assuming you know about the dude.
I gained 100lbs of weight and 10" of height within a year, then lost around 10lbs. I also don't remember listening to much metal at age 11.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Page 1 of 2