Page 4 of 6
BREAKING: Ashton Agar and Mitchell Starc long-lost brothers
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Diamond Dave
regardless of the result from here it's quite clear that your "superior" team is vastly overrated and that all you pasty pommy twats ITT don't have the faintest idea.

there's no doubt that England are the better team. But being an England team they're notoriously inconsistent. They've also never done well when they're favourites. People who thought this was going to be easy were always going to be wrong.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
All Australia needs to do to win is stop Shane Watson using the DRS
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by jambi_mantra
there's no doubt that England are the better team. But being an England team they're notoriously inconsistent. They've also never done well when they're favourites. People who thought this was going to be easy were always going to be wrong.

and the backpedaling begins
Quote by Diamond Dave

That's pretty much what I said in my first post in this thread before the match even started.

Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
As an England fan, I'm actually a bit worried. We're comfortable being the underdog, with not much expected of us. That's the way we've been used to it, and the last few years of being decent doesn't quite usurp that feeling, especially going into an Ashes series.

So with England being the stronger side on paper, I'm both excited and nervous. Excited at the prospect of giving the old enemy a damn good thrashing, but nervous that England will find a way to throw it away. I can never be confident with them. They're too good at screwing up!

See, I quoted it and everything!

So, what about teams for Lord's? It's looking like it's going to be sunny weather again, so we hopefully should get another full match. I expect that Mick Hunt will prepare a good Lord's wicket rather than another one like the pitch we've just had at Trent Bridge. Something for the batsmen and for the bowlers, with the ball coming on better than it did in the first test.

Cowan out for Australia? Khawaja? Warner?

I get the feeling that England will bring in Bresnan for Finn. Finn was just too wayward at Trent Bridge, and it almost cost England the match on that last morning. Cook needs to be able to trust any of his bowlers to bowl fairly tightly, and I don't think he has that sort of confidence in Finn right now. But I would be a little apprehensive about bringing Bresnan in; I like him, but his last few tests weren't exactly brilliant.
The Finn v Bresnan thing depends on the pitch at Lord's. If it looks quick and bouncy, keep Finn in, especially since Lord's is his home turf. If it doesn't, bring Bresnan in. He's more reliable and he'll strengthen our lower order a bit.
Bresnan is a better batter, bowler and fielder it's a no brainer really.

Bresnan isn't a slouch either, he's a very quick bowler but the Lords slope probably plays more into his (and Onions) style more so than Finn who is badly out of form.
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
Quote by Death_switch
Can someone please explain to me the details surrounding Stuart Broad's decision 'not to walk'. I don't watch cricket and I really don't understand what happened or why everyone is kicking up such a fuss about it

Anybody?!
Quote by Death_switch
Anybody?!

Think of it as when the media/other teams fans bitch about the Patriots "running up the score", it's the same nonsense as that and how it isn't "sporting" yet the Aussies did it 3 times after Broad with no media whining.
Quote by Cadj

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by big-T
Think of it as when the media/other teams fans bitch about the Patriots "running up the score", it's the same nonsense as that and how it isn't "sporting" yet the Aussies did it 3 times after Broad with no media whining.

Wait wat.

I have never heard of anything like that associated with cricket. What happened to make it so the Australians thought he should have walked? Does 'walking' just mean agreeing to settle the score?

Man Australians sure do like to complain a lot for such an easygoing nation.
I didn't see it but I assume the Aussies reckoned they had him out. 3rd Umpire couldn't prove it but Broady should have known, and so should have walked out of sportsmanship.

It must be something like that or what the hell else could it be?
Quote by Death_switch
Wait wat.

I have never heard of anything like that associated with cricket. What happened to make it so the Australians thought he should have walked? Does 'walking' just mean agreeing to settle the score?

Man Australians sure do like to complain a lot for such an easygoing nation.

There's some players that just walk off without the umpire giving the player out (Adam Gilchrist notably) and it's considered to be gentlemanly (like Cricket is supposed to be etc) but there is nothing in the rules of the game that says a batter has to do so, if Michael Clarke wasn't a mug and wasted his reviews then Broad would have been out.

Quote by willT08
I didn't see it but I assume the Aussies reckoned they had him out. 3rd Umpire couldn't prove it but Broady should have known, and so should have walked out of sportsmanship.

It must be something like that or what the hell else could it be?

Broad (clearly) edged it, stood his ground as opposed to walking off, umpire said not out and the Aussies had no reviews left so the game just carried on.
Quote by Cadj

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Last edited by big-T at Jul 15, 2013,
Ohhhhhh now it makes sense.

I'd probably be mad too if I was them

EDIT: Not the player's fault, but definitely a time to say 'that's just not cricket'
Such a big deal was made over it because it was an obvious edge. I'm guessing Aleem Dar missed it because it also deflected off Haddin's gloves before being caught at slip - he probably thought that all of the deviation came from the keeper rather than bat and then keeper. Still, no excuse. A top umpire should have spotted it no problem.

But I don't really understand the people having a go at Broad for not walking. Hardly anybody in cricket walks these days. I think Bairstow did in this match, but nobody else that I can remember. He's perfectly entitled to wait for the umpire's decision.

It was probably more audacious than standing there for a faint nick, just because everybody except Dar knew that he'd hit it. He did a grand job of keeping a straight face. Ultimately I wouldn't say it's worse than any of the other batsmen who edged it and waited for the umpire's decision. If anything it's not so bad since he could hardly fool the umpire by it. Anybody with eyes could see that edge. Geoff Boycott's mother could have given that one out!
Quote by Diamond Dave

If you want. I've always thought it, it's been proved to be true numerous times by this very side, such as the test series against Pakistan when England were ranked #1.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
If you want. I've always thought it, it's been proved to be true numerous times by this very side, such as the test series against Pakistan when England were ranked #1.

I'm talking more about the ultra-smugness that was running rampant here through the middle of the test.
Quote by Diamond Dave
I'm talking more about the ultra-smugness that was running rampant here through the middle of the test.

I played no part

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Well this is going well...

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
If I hadn't have temporarily split with my girlfriend I'd be in the Pavilion on Sunday. So think about that before you get down about cricket.
Well that was an interesting day of cricket, certainly. I've been a big fan of Bell since the first time I saw him play in 2004, so it's great to see him making hundreds. A bit disappointed he couldn't go on to make a big one though.

We had a training day at work, and of the twenty-odd people who came to it, about half a dozen of us were on our phones all day on our cricket apps, updating each other on the score.
Well I suppose that works out as an even day. England will probably be disappointed to be 289-7 after winning the toss in these conditions, but have to be pleased to have recovered from 28-3. The Aussies must be thinking about what could have been after their but got themselves back in at the end and can build up some momentum tomorrow with some early wickets. Looking like Trent Bridge #2.

I suppose tomorrow morning is where Bresnan earns his place. It seems unlikely to be purely a bowling decision and we're probably going to need him, Broad and Swann to scrape some runs together if we want to apply some pressure.

Final thought, this wicket looks like its going to be a real bunsen, so I definitely wouldn't want to be chasing much in the final innings!
Well, that was some day's play. Woeful Aussie batting, then England wickets falling too before the close.

It seems at the moment that the major difference between the sides is that England have had Bell managing to make the big scores, and a few others hanging in with him for just long enough. I wonder how he'll do tomorrow.
I'm glad Joe Root's having a good innings.

Tim Bresnan's certainly justified his inclusion in this squad.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
This is fucking embarrassing.

And seriously, they should put Watson 11th on the batting sheet, so he'll stop wasting DRS challenges. If he hit it flush to third slip he'd be challenging, the hapless fucker.
Quote by Vornik
No ****ing way did that carry.

S A D B O Y S
Clearly not out.

S A D B O Y S
If the Windies 'keeper got suspended for claiming a catch that wasn't, shouldn't Smith get the same treatment?
Quote by Cadj

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
This coverage from Sky is shambolic. They were showing how it was actually out by catching the ball with both hands when Steve Smith's right hand missed the fucking ball.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
This coverage from Sky is shambolic. They were showing how it was actually out by catching the ball with both hands when Steve Smith's right hand missed the fucking ball.

What do you expect from Sky?

They're just a Television version of a Tabloid, stirring shit is what they do...look at the Broad nonsense in the first test for another example.
Quote by Cadj

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by dann_blood
This is fucking embarrassing.

And seriously, they should put Watson 11th on the batting sheet, so he'll stop wasting DRS challenges. If he hit it flush to third slip he'd be challenging, the hapless fucker.

this
Quote by big-T
What do you expect from Sky?

They're just a Television version of a Tabloid, stirring shit is what they do...look at the Broad nonsense in the first test for another example.

I suppose I'm expecting to much from a Murdoch owned organisation.

I have a lot of respect for David Gower, but he was just disagreeing with Bumble when Bumble said that the TV umpires need to be 100% sure before giving someone out.

S A D B O Y S