Page 1 of 3
That's stupid. It should obviously be 'sex shaming', because that's a great pun and it doesn't imply that you're "shaming sluts". Obviously the phrase means "shaming someone by calling them sluts", but that's not the only word used to shame women for having an active sex life, and again, it implies that you're "shaming a slut".

Am I going insane here? Can we replace the phrase with "sex shaming"?
"Slut" implies promiscuity to the point of being negative. "Sex" can mean a lot of things. Plus, the reason that the person is being shamed is for getting around with too many people. If you like having sex a lot with one person, that's not seen as a bad thing. "Sex" is too vague.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jul 7, 2013,
slut shaming is a self fulfilling prophecy and if you subscribe to it you are probably a rapist.
Quote by blake1221
"Slut" implies promiscuity to the point of being negative. "Sex" can mean a lot of things. Plus, the reason that the person is being shamed is for getting around with too many people. If you like having sex a lot with one person, that's not seen as a bad thing. "Sex" is too vague.

A lot of religious people and a lot of very mean people in school would beg to argue.
Get preggers at a catholic school or really any school, but religious school it's just worse, they'll think "what a slut" reguardless of frequency of sex, or how many partners they've had. It's like a culture thing, even if they've had more of both, it's what they do.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 7, 2013,
Also, the very term"slut shaming" is pretty fucked when you think about it. It's still calling that person a slut, which unless you're Brooke Candy, is generally not perceived as a compliment.

Quote by stratkat
A lot of religious people and a lot of very mean people in school would beg to argue.
Get preggers at a catholic school or really any school, but religious school it's just worse.

Broader strokes, yo. Not everyone is catholic, and not everyone holds on to archaic beliefs like that.
Quote by blake1221
"Slut" implies promiscuity to the point of being negative. "Sex" can mean a lot of things.

Blake shaming is shaming Blake. Slut shaming is shaming slut. The title itself unwittingly uses the word as a pejorative.

Sex, on the other hand, implies either intercourse or a person's sex, which makes sense because often the shaming gets defended with things like "A key that can open all locks..." and so on. I'm sure you see what I mean by this.

There is, of course, the issue of convenience. That it's just what the act is known as now, but convenience isn't an excuse, imo.
So since it got answered in the first post. Can we make offensive, inappropriate rape jokes?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Blake shaming is shaming Blake. Slut shaming is shaming slut. The title itself unwittingly uses the word as a pejorative.

Sex, on the other hand, implies either intercourse or a person's sex, which makes sense because often the shaming gets defended with things like "A key that can open all locks..." and so on. I'm sure you see what I mean by this.

There is, of course, the issue of convenience. That it's just what the act is known as now, but convenience isn't an excuse, imo.

I addressed the first part in the comment above. There is no shaming Blake, however, as I feel no shame.

That's not true.

"Sex shaming" is still too vague. It's not meant to single out all women, which it could very easily be skewed to do so.
Quote by blake1221
Also, the very term"slut shaming" is pretty fucked when you think about it. It's still calling that person a slut, which unless you're Brooke Candy, is generally not perceived as a compliment.

10/10 watch. Golden wheelchair and a kid on a leash.
Getting a kick out of trying to make someone else upset or ashamed or otherwise inferior about something they choose to or not to do that in no ways harms or endangers anyone but themselves, and even then it's debatable, is childish and dumb.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by blake1221
I addressed the first part in the comment above. There is no shaming Blake, however, as I feel no shame.

That's not true.

"Sex shaming" is still too vague. It's not meant to single out all women, which it could very easily be skewed to do so.

There are other Blakes!

...and it's a prototype. I'm sure we can all come up with something better.

Quote by Redsectoreh
The only people I have ever seen using this term are dudes who can't get laid.

If you have sex with me this becomes a paradox.

Quote by necrosis1193
Getting a kick out of trying to make someone else upset or ashamed or otherwise inferior about something they choose to or not to do that in no ways harms or endangers anyone but themselves, and even then it's debatable, is childish and dumb.

Sure it is, but what do we call it?!
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 7, 2013,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
10/10 watch. Golden wheelchair and a kid on a leash.

Watch for the bath tub twerking tampon string.
It is sad that I'm now pining for the days that Ali was banned, because this thread is awful.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
It is sad that I'm now pining for the days that Ali was banned, because this thread is awful.

I still think I'm right about this and I don't care how awful or sexless you think I am.
I've always taken it to mean that you're shaming somebody for being a slut, and people would argue that there's nothing wrong with being a slut, so you shouldn't shame someone for it.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I still think I'm right about this and I don't care how awful or sexless you think I am.

But you're wrong, though.

Quote by The Madcap
I've always taken it to mean that you're shaming somebody for being a slut, and people would argue that there's nothing wrong with being a slut, so you shouldn't shame someone for it.

That's exactly what it means.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jul 7, 2013,
Well excuse me for living in a desert, Ali. I assumed you of all people would understand me but I guess I was wrong about that and wrong about you.
yeah jeeze blake. whatever it is you keep doing, its really something.

dear Ali.guitarkid7, i don't think i understand what you're on about. Slut Shaming is an insulting activity, so what are you on about it unintentionally uses a pejorative? it is pejorative. ???
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by blake1221
Broader strokes, yo. Not everyone is catholic, and not everyone holds on to archaic beliefs like that.

If they didn't, we wouldn't have this thread would we?

edit: That made it sound like I meant everyone, or the majority, I just meant some people, it's heavier in certain areas. I find most are either religious, or teenagers.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 7, 2013,
so much miscommunication in this thread.

and what do you mean, foreign? i'm from england. couldn't get less foreign.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Sure it is, but what do we call it?!

We don't dignify it with an intelligent name because it's a stupid, childish thing for stupid, childish people.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by macashmack
Why is slut shaming bad?

Im not trying to start a fight I actually want to know.

Because it perpetuates a double standard.

Girl sleeping around, bad.
Guy sleeping around, okay.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by macashmack
Why is slut shaming bad?

Im not trying to start a fight I actually want to know.

Because people are allowed to do whatever they want with their own bodies, as long as they are not harming anyone else. So someone likes sex, who are you to belittle them for that?
Quote by lolmnt
Because it perpetuates a double standard.

Girl sleeping around, bad.
Guy sleeping around, okay.

But that makes sense in a weird way.
Girls don't have to put in work really.
A girl saying "hey wanna have sex" is a pickup line.
I said I wasn't going to start a fight so I'm out.

Quote by blake1221
Because people are allowed to do whatever they want with their own bodies, as long as they are not harming anyone else. So someone likes sex, who are you to belittle them for that?

I don't really care if people have sex personally
Quote by macashmack

I don't really care if people have sex personally

But that's not what I'm saying at all.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
r u dum

no y r u tryn a antagnize me

Quote by necrosis1193
We don't dignify it with an intelligent name because it's a stupid, childish thing for stupid, childish people.

Paedophelia gets to have a Greek-based name.

Quote by macashmack

Yeah you really need to leave bro.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 7, 2013,
Quote by lolmnt
But that's not what I'm saying at all.

I understand what you're saying. I was saying that the double standard, even though it's obviously there, isn't bad in this case. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't care if someone else did.
Quote by macashmack
I understand what you're saying. I was saying that the double standard, even though it's obviously there, isn't bad in this case. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't care if someone else did.

So it's not bad that a woman's character is dragged through the mud because she has sex?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
So it's not bad that a woman's character is dragged through the mud because she has sex?

yes, it's bad.
Page 1 of 3