Hey guys. I've been trying to figure out a way to control the volume of the raw input of my electric guitar when recording through my interface. I'm looking for a way to record a full sound (keeping the volume knob on my guitar all the way up) without having the raw input clip. Any ideas?

And yes, reducing the volume knob on my guitar does do the trick, but I don't like the tone that it produces as it sounds much too thin.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
No, I've got a Tascam US-100 interface and I've always had the input knob all the way down on the interface.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Seems rather odd that you'd be clipping with the Tascam's input at minimum, to be honest.

What drivers are you using? If you've been using Windows Audio (Directsound etc) instead of ASIO, Windows may be boosting or otherwise messing with the signal.

Also...if you're going into a VST amp sim, don't be too worried about clipping. It's certainly not a good habit to get into, but the odd bit of clipping isn't really noticeable due to the heavy amount of processing from the virtual amp and cabinet.
Quote by kyle62
Seems rather odd that you'd be clipping with the Tascam's input at minimum, to be honest.

What drivers are you using? If you've been using Windows Audio (Directsound etc) instead of ASIO, Windows may be boosting or otherwise messing with the signal.

Also...if you're going into a VST amp sim, don't be too worried about clipping. It's certainly not a good habit to get into, but the odd bit of clipping isn't really noticeable due to the heavy amount of processing from the virtual amp and cabinet.

I'm using the ASIO4ALL drivers as that gives me the lowest latency on my PC. And yeah, I am using VSTs to do this.

Quote by T4D
yeah you should be below 1/3 of the meter on a raw recording of the DI of the guitar ? why is it so loud ?

Lol, I don't know. That's what I'm trying to find out.

So I've been thinking more about this and realized the back of my interface has three options: MIC, LINE, and PHONO. The current setting I had it on was PHONO. Should I put it on LINE?

Quote by )v(egaFan90
So I've been thinking more about this and realized the back of my interface has three options: MIC, LINE, and PHONO. The current setting I had it on was PHONO. Should I put it on LINE?

According to the manual, plugging in a guitar 'receives priority and signals from other inputs are cut off regardless of the input switch settings.'

That being said, it definitely wouldn't be phono, so try switching it to line and see if that works.
Quote by T4D
maybe try it ? it's a button outside the unit NOT inside isn't it ?

Correct. It's a three way switch on back. Yeah, I'll give it a try and let you guys know how it goes.

So yeah, doesn't matter which setting I have it on. There's no difference. Still at a loss.

You shouldn't be using ASIO4ALL. At all. It's made for non-asio soundcards to be able to run under an asio driver for DAWS (read: made for broke people with no interface). Since you have a proper interface, you need to be using the proper driver for that interface. Install and use that in your DAW of choice and see if there's still an issue.

edit: Not bashing broke people without interfaces. I'm still broke, I just happened to get one as a gift. I'm just saying you have better equipment than what asio4all is meant for.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Last edited by OfCourseNot at Jul 10, 2013,
Quote by OfCourseNot
You shouldn't be using ASIO4ALL. At all. It's made for non-asio soundcards to be able to run under an asio driver for DAWS (read: made for broke people with no interface). Since you have a proper interface, you need to be using the proper driver for that interface. Install and use that in your DAW of choice and see if there's still an issue.

Exactly this.

Can you record a short sample of clean guitar playing? It'd make it easier to figure whether it's a setup problem or a physical fault with the hardware.
Quote by OfCourseNot

edit: Not bashing broke people without interfaces. I'm still broke, I just happened to get one as a gift. I'm just saying you have better equipment than what asio4all is meant for.

Wow, did not know this. Thanks a lot. I will look into it and report back.

Actually, it appears as though there is no audio interface driver for the TASCAM US-100.

EDIT: I'm not altogether surprised since this was about as budget of an interface as I could get.

Last edited by )v(egaFan90 at Jul 10, 2013,