So what's your favourite boost pedal and why?

I just want to read your opinions

Please try to be objective and do not bash the others.

Where's the Klon?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Where's the Klon?

I'd describe the Klon as a low/mid gain overdrive, this is more clean boost oriented.
Quote by booksofalbion
I'd describe the Klon as a low/mid gain overdrive, this is more clean boost oriented.

those who use the klon outside of the bedroom tend to use it as a clean boost.

it's the best clean boost pedal i've played, let alone owned.
sooo many man, go shop online, unlimited ones. i have some good ones to add when i look em up later.

i personally have the EP booster. very nice, great reputation for single coils, but fairly transparent with a hint of EQ shaping, but my best likes are that Xotic are extremely well made, probably the highest quality pedal on my board and that its JFET, when pushing a preamp the JFET seems extremely natural. this goes for most FET style pedals like a fulltone fulldrive 2 or something.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Eppicurt
Where's the Klon?

Serious question, is the Klon actually a good (great? amazing?) pedal, or is it all just a big inside joke due to the price?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Serious question, is the Klon actually a good (great? amazing?) pedal, or is it all just a big inside joke due to the price?

I saw an old rig walk through with Metallica, and apparently they use Klons. Aerosmith does too.

OT: I like my BBE Boosta Grande.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Quote by NakedInTheRain
those who use the klon outside of the bedroom tend to use it as a clean boost.

people use the klon outside of the bedroom?

Quote by Offworld92

nah, it is a good pedal, to be fair. very good, really.

just the prices are crazy.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

its one of those iconic pedals that really is good, but its a collectors item. is a dumble worth like 40 grand? well probably not. but if you want a dumble......

there are limitless boosts out there. some i have found are

lizard leg flying dragon or the draconis below

http://www.lizardlegeffects.com/pedals/draconis.html

this - http://www.fxeng.com/moab.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njuBAeLt5-U which i have played. awesome pedals.

this http://wrenandcuff.com/site/the-stompboxes/the-phat-phuk/
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Offworld92

in all seriousness, it's a great pedal. it works best in a band mix - by itself, the overdrive sounds honky and kind of off. but in a mix it cuts like it's nobody's business. the clean boost is amazing after a dirt pedal, as it emphasises the midrange and makes everything sound bigger, at the risk of sounding clichéd. the centaur was called the professional overdrive for a reason.

the most common way of using it is as a boost into a hot tube amp, with the gain either at zero (clean boost) or around 9 o'clock (slightly dirty coloured boost).

keep in mind i have the ktr, which i picked up for $300, and they're going for about $500ish second-hand now. the price of the centaurs is a bit of a joke, really. and a lot of people drop coin on it, use it in the bedroom, can't see what the fuss is about and then go make a hundred threads on TGP about how overrated it is, while the pros kick in with how good it is in a band setting, and then someone calls someone else a self-righteous twat, and then scott auld gets his infraction face on.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
in all seriousness, it's a great pedal. it works best in a band mix - by itself, the overdrive sounds honky and kind of off. but in a mix it cuts like it's nobody's business. the clean boost is amazing after a dirt pedal, as it emphasises the midrange and makes everything sound bigger, at the risk of sounding clichéd. the centaur was called the professional overdrive for a reason.

the most common way of using it is as a boost into a hot tube amp, with the gain either at zero (clean boost) or around 9 o'clock (slightly dirty coloured boost).

keep in mind i have the ktr, which i picked up for $300, and they're going for about $500ish second-hand now. the price of the centaurs is a bit of a joke, really. and a lot of people drop coin on it, use it in the bedroom, can't see what the fuss is about and then go make a hundred threads on TGP about how overrated it is, while the pros kick in with how good it is in a band setting, and then someone calls someone else a self-righteous twat, and then scott auld gets his infraction face on.

Hm. Anyone make a cheap clone (lol)?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Hm. Anyone make a cheap clone (lol)?

molter does.

apart from that, there is a pretty big market for klones. the arc effects one i've had alongside my ktr, and can't tell the difference. but that's $200ish.
^ yeah there are plenty of klones, but they tend to be "cheapish", rather than cheap. Ironically a lot of the people making really cheap klones had to up their prices to ensure that they sold. Because people assume that if they're cheap they must be crap, lol.

Quote by ikey_
its one of those iconic pedals that really is good, but its a collectors item. is a dumble worth like 40 grand? well probably not. but if you want a dumble......

yeah that's about the height of it

Quote by NakedInTheRain

LOL

but yeah I mean I'd never say it's a bad pedal, i did like the one i tried. I just don't like the way some people on tgp act like unless you have one you sound bad. plenty of cheap ods sound really, really good (especially if you're just using them as a boost). Exactly like a klon? not really, but good in their own right (IMO).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I'm pretty happy with my Custom Badass for what it is. I mean for a $100 pedal...

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

My favorite boost wasn't a pedal. It was an onboard arrangement with a simple on/off toggle switch: the legendary (and insanely overpowered) Alembic Stratoblaster! The original version was so powerful that if you weren't careful, you could do serious damage to your amp (which is why Alembic implored purchasers to read the f%cking owner's manual!). The new one is supposed to be less lethal to amplifiers, but I haven't tried it out:

http://alembic.stores.yahoo.net/blaster.html

It really was an amazing booster, and it worked especially well with my old early 1970's Hiwatt 100-watt head. There was just something about the quality of that boosted tone that a lot of today's boost pedals seem to lack.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
My GP-8 makes a great clean boost, you just wind up the volume on it and it provides a flat, clean boost and is programmable on a patch by patch basis.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by bogg808
wow no Diamond...

The images were just for reference and to try and get away from the usual plain text threads. Obviously it's impossible to fit all the boost pedals out there in a pair of images, imagine this was an overdrive thread Diamonds are amazing though.

Quote by ikey_

there are limitless boosts out there. some i have found are

lizard leg flying dragon or the draconis below

http://www.lizardlegeffects.com/pedals/draconis.html

this - http://www.fxeng.com/moab.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njuBAeLt5-U which i have played. awesome pedals.

this http://wrenandcuff.com/site/the-stompboxes/the-phat-phuk/

Those were great, thanks for your input.
Surprised that no one has yet to mention the Timmy. It works very well as a boost, possibly the best I've tried now that I own one. The other boost I loved was the Fulltone Fat Boost, it played really well with other drive pedals.
Quote by FatalGear41
My favorite boost wasn't a pedal. It was an onboard arrangement with a simple on/off toggle switch: the legendary (and insanely overpowered) Alembic Stratoblaster! The original version was so powerful that if you weren't careful, you could do serious damage to your amp (which is why Alembic implored purchasers to read the f%cking owner's manual!). The new one is supposed to be less lethal to amplifiers, but I haven't tried it out:

http://alembic.stores.yahoo.net/blaster.html

It really was an amazing booster, and it worked especially well with my old early 1970's Hiwatt 100-watt head. There was just something about the quality of that boosted tone that a lot of today's boost pedals seem to lack.

That seems insane, I'd keep it away from Dumbles just in case.
actually, my signa drive in the middle setting is pretty much a clean / dirty boost with the gain knob. its actually a darn good boost.

different flavor than the EP booster, which is purely a JFET booster.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
ibanez ts7. sounds just as good as a ts9, at least for crankin up a marshall into full distortion, but you can find it for 1/4 of its price. I also like its light saturation when used on clean, for bluesy solos and such.
Like this wasn't enough, it also has a "hot" mode, which is supposed to give you more gain, somehow like a distortion pedal. Sounds like shit to me but, who knows, some might like it. It's a tank, metal-built, heavier than most other pedals, can throw it out of the window and will still work. And after you dial your settings in, you press the knobs inside the encasing and they won't ever move unless you want to.
My favorite booster, no doubt.