I've been playing on a really shitty 8" solid-state amp since I started playing ~2.5 years ago, and I plan on upgrading to a tube amp. I only plan to use it for home recording. I'll put the cab in an isolation box, so volume levels won't be a problem.

So far I've started looking at an Orange Dual Terror aswell as an Orange PPC212, but I have some questions:
1. The Open-Back PPC212 is almost 200EUR cheaper than the Closed-Back version.
Since I'll be using the isolation box, will it kinda "close" the back? Would it then be a better idea to go for the Open-Back one?
2. I'll mic it up with a Shure SM57, will that work for tracking some pretty good rock and clean tones?
3. Will not having an FX Loop on the Dual Terror be problematic in any way?

Thanks
-Van Sloth
1. Open back cabs have a larger sound dispersal I find, which is good for unmiced situations. However, if you're micing it up inside an isolation box then I'd personally go for the closed back.

2. An SM57 is an "industry standard" mic, which is good for micing guitar cabs, amongst other things. So yeah, I'd think so.

3. It purely depends if you're going to be using time/modulation effects pedals (delay/chorus/flanger/etc.) People say these sound better in the effects loop, but its all personal preference. If you're using it for home recording, you could always invest in some decent plug-ins for that sort of stuff. That way the 'no-effects-loop' thing wont be a problem

Also, What genre of music do you play?
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Quote by Carl21221
1. Open back cabs have a larger sound dispersal I find, which is good for unmiced situations. However, if you're micing it up inside an isolation box then I'd personally go for the closed back.

2. An SM57 is an "industry standard" mic, which is good for micing guitar cabs, amongst other things. So yeah, I'd think so.

3. It purely depends if you're going to be using time/modulation effects pedals (delay/chorus/flanger/etc.) People say these sound better in the effects loop, but its all personal preference. If you're using it for home recording, you could always invest in some decent plug-ins for that sort of stuff. That way the 'no-effects-loop' thing wont be a problem

Also, What genre of music do you play?

I'll mostly be tracking rock tones, not very clean but not borderline metal tones either, aswell as some clean tones. I'm a videogame musician and I write all kinds of strange stuff, so it's kinda hard to define the tone I'm going for.