Need some opinions on what gear to buy.. I'm kind of not sure right now. You might remember me asking about a Mesa Studio Preamp in here a week or two ago.. well that's still on my mind but I'm not completely sure. My current gear is only a Gibson SG & Bugera 333XL combo. I have about $850 maybe a bit more to spend on gear..

Some things I'm looking at

Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp $850 (run through FX loop of 333XL)
Marshall VM 2466 $850 (use 333XL as cab)
ADA MP1 $550 + TC Nova System $300
TC Nova System $300 + LTD EC-1000VB $500-600

I think the last option is probably the best but I would like a couple of opinions and maybe some suggestions on other gear

extra info:
Location.. Melbourne Australia
Budget ~$850AUD
style: stuff like Led Zeppelin, Megadeth, Metallica, Alice In Chains, AC/DC, Slayer, Mastodon, Soundgarden etc..
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Jul 8, 2013,
what is it that you dont like about the bugera. minus the fact that its a bugera. you should be able to achieve all those tones with ease.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I do like it, I guess it just doesn't have the voicing I like i.e. Mesa & Marshall. The lead channel actually does a pretty decent compressed Mesa Mark impersonation though I think the crunch channel really lacks if you want to do older lower gain stuff like Zep, AC/DC etc. I can probably live with the lead channel more than the crunch, the crunch never really did much for me. Always found it kind of thin too.
honestly out of the things u listed that you were thinking of none of them will really make u happy. save up some more green or sell the bugera and add that money to the pile and go out and snag a mesa or a vintage modern combo.

a quick fix will be to get that nova system and a new guitar but in a month or two you are gonna look at the bugera with the same look that u do now
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

A lot of the voicing comes from the cab, so running into your existing cab or head FX loop won't do much to change that.
save your money sell the bugera and add the funds to your saved money and look for the following:

Mesa: single rec, perhaps a Trans atlantic 30
marshall: vintage modern, jcm800(or any clone of one)
peavey: xxx/jsx/3120, vtm60 or 120
fender: a supersonic might get u there with an od and eq
carvin: legacy 1,2,or 3 (fantastic amps!!!! extremely versatile) v3m

just a few off the top of my head
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

None of them interest me, besides the Marshalls. Mine is pretty much a clone of a JSX anyway.

I think I'm just going to get a new guitar & nova, I'm happy with the lead and clean channels on my amp, just the crunch is kinda sucky, the voicing is too modern for low-mid gain stuff.