Was just wanting to get some opinions on where to go as far as flatwounds on my bass. I've played Blue Steels my entire time playing bass, but I'm wanting to mix it up. I have a 2000 or 2001 model Mexican Standard Fender P with Seymour Duncan quarter pounders. From what I looked into it, GHS Precision Flats seemed nice, but my bass mentor recommended Fender 9050s. Then there are also Rotosound 77s and LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats, and I'm sure several other options.. Every where I look seems to have a different opinion, so what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any input!
The Roto 77s are OK. Not great not bad, just OK. La Bellas get alot of props mainly because they were used by players like James Jamerson.

I just switched to Thomastik-Infeld Nickel Flat Wounds and really like them. Balanced tone and very playable, but definitely not cheap. I got a set from a friend who got them for free and doesn't use flats.
I recently switched to flatwounds (Fender 9050 .040-.100 lights) and I think there great. Mind you it's the only set I've played . But I know I will never go back to round wounds again
Quote by anarkee
I just switched to Thomastik-Infeld Nickel Flat Wounds and really like them. Balanced tone and very playable, but definitely not cheap. I got a set from a friend who got them for free and doesn't use flats.

+1. They're pretty pricey, but TI flats are awesome.

As a less expensive option I always like D'addario Chromes.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by anarkee

Thomastik-Infeld Bass Strings = TOO F*CKING EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Good strings, though.

A lot of stores in the U.S.A. don't stock a big selection of flats, since they aren't in demand. If you decide to go with flats, you may be limited to what your store carries (probably D'Addario or Rotosound) or else order them from the internet sites.

I've got a set of Rotosound flats on an Ibanez Roadgear four string bass right now, and I like them. It is my only bass with flats, but they have worked out better than I expected.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
My VM Jag has a some Rotosound SH77 on them and they are great strings. Although a bit stiffer than most would like them to be.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I strung an 80s Ibanez and my 95 Japanese jazz bass with flats from Webstrings.com.
a friend in a surf band pointed them out to me. REALLLY cheap (like 15 a set) so you won't feel so bad if you don't like them.
I'll bet you'll like them as much as I do and never go back to rounds.
yeah rotosound flats are good. they take a bit to break in but they feel comfy when they finally do. they aren't too pricey either.
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"