Shiny Toy Guns - Speaking Japanese

Nine Inch Nails - 1,000,000

Bonus Round:
Nine Inch Nails - The Line Begins to Blur

(Assuming that's some kind of octave fuzz, at the very least)

Practical budget of $100ish (used, obviously), but if there's anything that particularly nails any of these, I'd like to know regardless of price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For these kinds of sounds, I like to have the following signal chain:

Distortion->Pitch Shifter->Wah->Fuzz

This produces some grime early on, enough level to drive the pitch shifter properly so it tracks well, then run through the wah to get some tonal control. You also get some distortion in the wah itself if your levels are high enough, which gets the signal really screaming. Then drive the fuzz. The strong levels and deep bass really make for a grindy fuzz tone, quite a lot like that NIN track from what I've got here at least. I think the wah works better after the pitch shifter, so it's filtering the two signals within a single range, sounds more synthy, than pitch shifting the wah's range, which sounds more like two guitars.

My chain is:
[Digitech Grunge][Behringer US600][GCB95 CryBaby][Pocket POD Fuzz Box]
None of this is particularly high quality stuff, and there's a little bit of a noise problem, but I quite like the grindy bassy fuzzy stuff I get out of this setup.

I don't have one so I can't say for sure if it can pull this off, but if you're after these kinds of sounds, produced by stacked effects, on a low budget, with good versatility (no hopping about or reordering pedals by hand) might be worth going for something like the Zoom G3 or G3X, which also throws in a bunch of filter pedals. I don't think the G3 or G3X have particularly good pitch shifting/octaving capability however.
Last edited by jameswilddev at Jul 8, 2013,
Don't know if you'll find one for $100, but you may be better off just saving a bit for a EQD Bit Commander.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Don't know if you'll find one for $100, but you may be better off just saving a bit for a EQD Bit Commander.

That sounds great, thanks for the rec!

I had previously listened to the Wampler Leviathan, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, MXR Blue Box & Classic Fuzz, and the Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer, and only the Great Destroyer comes close to what I want. This is better though, a lot more "usable" than the Great Destroyer.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by ExDementia

Sweet! Will bookmark. I completely forgot I looked at that Catalinbread a long time ago and I liked it for this same stuff.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X