I'm planning on buying a bogner alchemist, since I pretty much fell in love with its sound and price tag . The bad thing about it, is that it can't really reach high gain distortion for modern metal. I'm not really a metal player, but it would be nice to be able to have the ability to have a tone similar to Lamb of God or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_3kS5uzlM

Now I've heard that distortion pedals aren't really the way to go, since they suck all of the "tubeness" out of tube amps. So what kind of OD pedal would work for what I want.
Thanks everyone.
Quote by MDoggDX316
To quote Granddad, "I think ALL marriage should be illegal."

[quote="'-[NiL"]-'] I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
Grab a Boss SD-1 and clip out C5.

Bad distortion pedals will suck all the "tubiness" out of a tube amp.

Others sound fantastic with them.

It all just depends. Don't immediately write off an entire catalog of pedals.

And you don't need as much gain as you think .
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jul 8, 2013,
Yea, most Metal bands don't use as much as you think.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Some kind of tubescreamer, definitely, such as the Maxon OD 808 or something similar, I use the MAB Overdrive and because of it, the gain on my amp never goes above 4, and still gets an incredibly heavy tone.
Quote by BladeSlinger

That might be true, but it's a different kind of gain/overdrive/distortion than what the Alchemist does. To get closer to that kind of tone, some kind of boost and/or an EQ pedal will be needed.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
thanks everyone but as JesusCrisp pointed out the alchemist is a midgain amp therefore it really does need something different than what a dual rectifier would need for more gain. Metal bands don't use that much gain, because their amps are already made for that. The alchemist really isn't. Thanks again everyone, from what I've gathered I should get some sort of tubescreamer. Will the ts-9 be enough, or should I try to get something with a bit more power?
Quote by MDoggDX316
To quote Granddad, "I think ALL marriage should be illegal."

[quote="'-[NiL"]-'] I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
Quote by JesusCrisp
That might be true, but it's a different kind of gain/overdrive/distortion than what the Alchemist does. To get closer to that kind of tone, some kind of boost and/or an EQ pedal will be needed.

Ah. I'm not really familiar with the amp.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I like the Bad Monkey, Hardwire CM-2 because they have a bass control. I also use a GFS Greenie which is awesome and only $50 new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
you kinda have to play it by ear... if it really doesn't have that much gain, as you said, a ts might not be enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by BladeSlinger

Unless OP is going to play as loud as those bands play, then this train of thought is pretty useless. The only time you can afford to really back off on the gain and still be heavy as **** is when you're moving serious air.

As far as studio tones are concerned, it's completely irrelevant, because anyone can back off on gain if they're going to quadruple track their guitars. That also doesn't apply to a live sound.

Quote by Dave_Mc
you kinda have to play it by ear... if it really doesn't have that much gain, as you said, a ts might not be enough.

+1

If you really really love that amp, you're probably going to have to invest in another amp for the heavy stuff, or else invest in a high quality distortion. Maybe something like the Wampler Triple Wreck or Amptweaker Tightmetal?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The TightRock also does metal pretty well, but does the sounds in between better than the TightMetal. Try not to think of these as pedals so much as that they are preamps with effects loops, a noise gate, and are often run into the effects return and bypassing the head's preamp for this very reason.
To me, the Alchemist's OD channel has about as much gain as a ValveKing. It's no modern metal machine that's forsure, but a TS will get you closer. The song you listed does not have that much gain. You will be able to get there with a Tubescreamer. You add in a MXR 10 band you will find a good tone for other heavier songs too.

The unfortunate thing is that you'll probably then need a noise gate too if you don't have one, and that's three pedals right there. But hey, you won't need a reverb or delay pedal with the Alchemist
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
EQ pedal. Get one with an overall volume control.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hate to be that guy, but maybe another amp would be a good idea. You could probably pick up a decent one for quite cheap ish, something like a used 6505+ 112 or a jet city.

I say this because it would probably get you closer than pedals would, without spending too much.
Last edited by ambler3 at Jul 9, 2013,