Hello fellow guitarists and ableton users,
I was wondering if you could help me with navigating Ableton Live (specifically 8) to record guitar,bass and (if you have it) Superior drummer and/or ezmix 2(guitar gods extension). I've been pretty much collecting the things I need for home recording for the last past six months or so during school (I am actually an studio art major) and now that I am in summer break I want to learn recording with ableton as quick as I can to get started on recording and producing.

I am not asking for specific explanations just advice on essential techniques on recording. I've looked through some tutorials on youtube but still want to know more. They give basic explanation of functions but not for guitar recording, but beat producing. I thought it would more useful and more efficient asking for your knowledge and experience through here to condense on what I have to learn, instead of wasting so much time on tutorials that take so much to learn stuff from.

I am using EZMIX2 with Guitar gods extension pack (sounds great, still trying to find my tone on my peavey 1x12 5150 but I thought it would be more efficient to record through this, long story). I am also using Focusrite scarlett 2i2, Ibanez RG470ah, Alesis M1 active speakers.

Also, I see the user manual and it is almost 500 pages I believe, what do I need to read to get started.

Thank You very much for your help and knowledge,
Bravo.
(P.S. Heavy metal (general) is my genre.)
Start at the beginning of the manual, it's written in plain english and it's easy to read along. The first few chapters will teach you the basics, and you'll be able to poke around the other chapters after that, learning only what you need to from there. For instance, you probably won't need to learn much about the filter sweeps etc haha

If you have a more specific question, then I can give a more specific answer. Until then, just put an instrument on each track and record some loops for different sections.

Here's a little video I made for making basic rock tracks using the looping/grid functions in Ableton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv58dNppYGk
(Note: I made this a LONG time ago with terrible video and musical quality, but it gets the point across).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite