Hey hey

I have a Peavey classic 30 amp and the tubes are really old, so they must be replaced asap.
I have very little knowledge in amps and tubes so I don't intend to replace them by mysefl ofcourse, I just need to pick them and I need a little help with that

So, basically I need as good clean as possible, I have a few pedals, OD's included. I'm playing ambient, soundscapeish music, with tons of reverb and delay and somethimes drone with heavy OD. My guitar is downtuned all the way to B, so I need a good lowend (I guess???).

Correct me if I'm wrong here: Since I need a clean sound, I need to play on the normal channel on my c30, without the preamp , so that means only the bigger three ones are in use? As I said I don't know much

Oh, and I play at relatively low volumes, so I don't need them to be loud.

So, as I checked the internet for a good clean tubes, I came accros Sovtek 12AX7WBT, Golden Dragon 12AX7, Ruby Tubes 7025STR, maybe fender... I don't know Any of these maybe?

So, which ones for the preamp, which ones for v1, v2, v3, can they all be the same or do I need different types for different channels?

Please help and keep it simple =)

Thanks o/
Last edited by heisenbitch at Jul 8, 2013,
first off as far as preamp tubes go you literally plug them in or out with a wiggling motion, you should have no problem doing such..

as far as poweramp goes, i don't know if they require biasing that would be something to ask somebody else.

even if so, its not very difficult, but there is a deadly risk of shock. you just need to be careful and mind where your hands on while working on it.

i think pretty much everybody will say JJ for tubes. thats what i have in pretty much all of my amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
meh, there's no point in replacing them on my own, guess I'm just lazy + I can get it done free of charge

JJ you say. Allright , I'll check them out, thanks =)

What's the deal tho, with different brands in specific channels? Is it worth complicating?
Go back to the Peavey Forum and read and follow Classic30inCincy's instructions. It's a proven combo that works well in the C30. The tubes listed are inexpensive ( as 12AX7's go) and can all be bought from someplace like TubeDepot. The power amp tubes ( the big ones, EL84's ) can also be bought from TubeDepot but Eurotubes sells matched and graded quads for a reasonable price. Yes, different brands and types sound different, and what position they are in (V1, V2, V3...) will make a difference. Again, go back and read the post on Peavey Forum, it's the best advice you're going to get for that amp.

And yes, you did spam the hell out of the boards.
Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Jul 9, 2013,
I was in the same predicament you were in. Trust me, replace your speaker, then your tubes. It's well worth it. However, to answer your question, I just went ahead and ordered some JJ's from Eurotubes. Pretty inexpensive for a set, great customer service, and you can customize and add little tidbits of comments/info when you buy them to let them know just exactly what you want from the tubes.

However, changing out the tubes is waaaay easier than changing out the speaker. I know you said you'd get them done by someone else for free, which is great and all, but what about that moment when a tube unexpectedly dies and your left without a solution.

Changing out the tubes is pretty simple. Buy your tubes, buy your contact cleaner, wiggle out the old tubes, spray contact cleaner on the pins of the new tubes, wiggle the new tubes in and out (repeat once or twice), and once your done, wiggle the new tubes in, latch it back into place and voila, a new set of tubes in the C30.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
sweet
I didn't know it was 'that simple' I've heard you have to set some thing that controls the voltage, going through the tubes, when replacing. It has a name surely

The speaker? What's wrong with it ? which one did you get?
The Blue Marvel speaker that comes stock with the C30 is 'alright'. I found it really flabby, shrill, and very limiting to the potential tone that the C30 can deliver. I've replaced it with a Vintage 30 and man it was definitely a huuuuge difference, much more of a difference than when I replaced my tubes. However, it is a bit costlier to do so I mean it's really all up to you to decide.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater