By Floyd Original I mean this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Floyd-Rose-Original-Series-Tremolo-Bridge-with-R2-Nut-H77672-i2120199.gc
And by floyd special I mean this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Floyd-Rose-Special-Series-Tremolo-Bridge-with-R2-Nut-H77676-i2120182.gc

Basically I was wondering if it's worth the extra $115 or so for the Original. I had the special on my old guitar, and it did well. However, I had to heavily modify the guitar to accomidate it, so I don't know what I was missing form either bridge in a "real" floyd set up.

Conversely, are there any locking trems in between these two, in terms of price and quality?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 9, 2013,
Both the Special and the OFR are made in Korea on one of two production lines -- the Korean OFRs usually go to large builders (Gibson, Fender). Floyd Rose still makes some OFRs in Germany, but these are usually bubble packed for separate purchase and for the small builders.

Part of the difference between the Special and the OFR is in the saddles and the sustain block, both of which are a zinc alloy (on the Special).

On the OFR, the saddles are steel and the sustain block is brass. In particular, I think the steel saddles are a better idea, but I usually buy aftermarket (larger, heavier) sustain blocks in brass for somewhere in the neighborhood of $35.

If I've got this choice, I'd go with the OFR. That said, there are non-OFRs that have identical manufacture to the OFR with steel saddles and brass sustain block that are cheaper (I'm guessing they're done on the same production line as the OFRs, but lack the stamping).

There's also the Gotoh version, which some folks think is better than the OFR and about the same price, and the Schaller (German) OFR version, which some folks think is better than the Korean OFR.
Suhr dropped OFRs for Gotoh FRs if it influences anything. John says OFR's quality has fallen off a cliff lately.
An FR Special will wear out after a few years. An FR-X000/OFR will not. It really boils down to being that simple.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Do it right the first time or pay for replacement parts down the road, your choice!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
you've linked to the special twice do you have a link to the OFR? Just to be sure.

Quote by dspellman
(a) Both the Special and the OFR are made in Korea on one of two production lines -- the Korean OFRs usually go to large builders (Gibson, Fender). Floyd Rose still makes some OFRs in Germany, but these are usually bubble packed for separate purchase and for the small builders.

(b) Part of the difference between the Special and the OFR is in the saddles and the sustain block, both of which are a zinc alloy (on the Special).

On the OFR, the saddles are steel and the sustain block is brass. In particular, I think the steel saddles are a better idea, but I usually buy aftermarket (larger, heavier) sustain blocks in brass for somewhere in the neighborhood of $35.

If I've got this choice, I'd go with the OFR. That said, there are non-OFRs that have identical manufacture to the OFR with steel saddles and brass sustain block that are cheaper (I'm guessing they're done on the same production line as the OFRs, but lack the stamping).

(c) There's also the Gotoh version, which some folks think is better than the OFR and about the same price, and the Schaller (German) OFR version, which some folks think is better than the Korean OFR.

(a) I thought you could only get the korean-made OFRs (FRT-x000) already on guitars, i.e. it's OEM. Any OFR you buy as an aftermarket part should be german-made. I think so, anyway.

(b) yeah. also, i haven't tried the special, but if it's anything like the frt-x000, other corners will be cut in the manufacture. I mean I wouldn't say that even the german-made OFR is a work of art in the way that the gotoh is, but it's still noticeably better than the Korean ones I've tried. the korean one is just noticeably that bit cruder, lower tolerances etc.

the way i'd describe it is that the FRT-x000 (the korean-made OFR) is like they tried to make a good trem as cheaply as possible. And it kinda shows. I'd still rather have it than those mystery metal cheapo licensed floyds that used to be on cheaper guitars- but I'd rather have a quality double locking trem (German OFR, Schaller, Gotoh, Ibanez's Gotoh-made trems like the Edge etc.) every time.

The frt-x000 is usable, but those better trems do it with panache and style, if that makes sense. Those cheaper licensed crappy trems aren't usable; the frt-x000 is serviceable but not exactly inspiring, while the schaller/ofr/gotoh/edge are a joy to use. IMO.

EDIT: and the special is like a cheaper frt-x000, just in case that's not clear.

(c) pretty much everyone thinks the schaller is better than the korean ofr, lol. Plus you have the lockmeister now, which, far as i'm aware, is just an OFR rebranded with the schaller stamp.

the gotoh is excellent, but it's a bit stiffer in feel than the OFR. I always wonder if using schaller springs might bring the best of both worlds, but needless to say, I've never got as far as trying it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 9, 2013,
Thanks Dave, I fixed the link. And you're right, OFR's bought seperately (not on guitars) are from Germany (I already knew where they were manufactured). Considering I'm pretty borke most of the time, I think I can deal with the lifespan of a floyd special that Offworld mentioned.

Are there any locking trems in between the prices of a floyd special ($90 for a black one) and OFR ($215 for a black one)?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
i guess you could look up the prices of the gotoh ge1996T, schaller lockmeister and schaller double locking tremolo. they might not be any cheaper than the OFR in america, though. here in europe the schallers are a bit cheaper (and the gotoh used to be, but not any more )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?