Hello! I am trying to get back into electric guitar. I had started in high school but never really learned much because I was learning classical guitar at the time. I'm in the market for a new amp. My upper limit is $100 but I'd really like to stay around $80. I've been looking around and the Vox Pathfinder 10 so far has my vote. It's cheap and has gotten great reviews. But I've also heard you can't go wrong with a Micro Cube. Only problem is those are more expensive.

Would the difference in price be justified by a noticeable increase in sound quality? Really all I want is an amp with a solid clean sound and a decent distortion. I'm not too crazy about effects/modeling. I'd be playing Incubus, RHCP and classic rock mainly. My guitar is a purple satin finish Mexican Strat if that makes a difference.

Thank you!
hey

free bump day

welcome to GGnA

with that budget you won't get close to RHCP or classic rock really

just sayin

if this is important to you then you need an amp budget of around $300

see post #2 in the rules and resources thread

k?

otherwise, i say buy as much peavey vypyr as you can ( 30 or 60) and the cube 20/80 is decent i think as well as the pathfinder/vox vt series as far as what you are looking for.....and the fener superchamp

k
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 11, 2013,
If $80 really is your budget in the short to medium term, then the Pathfinder would be an OK starting point - not necessarily the sound you're after, but for the money it's a good amp.

Then you really want to start saving and follow the rest of 311ZOSOVHJH's advice. If you can stretch your budget now, follow the rest of the advice now.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud