Page 1 of 2
Haven't found one yet that I like anywhere near as much as my 8 year old Dell Inspiron 6400. Hate all these slim models, they don't feel like good proper sturdy laptops, and always have crappy keyboards and trackpads. Oh and Windows 8 is terrible.

So I'm wondering has anyone had success buying older refurbished ones? I love the look of the Lenovo IBM ThinkPad T60p, but would it be silly buying a laptop that's been used more than 2 or 3 years, even if it's been refurbished to A Grade?

pic:
We used to have to use those at work, and they're ****ing shite.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
If it's specs aren't total shit for what you want it for then I see no reason not to buy one if you like them.
Quote by Trowzaa
If it's specs aren't total shit for what you want it for then I see no reason not to buy one if you like them.

Cause I'm scared they're gonna crap out after the first year cause they're old.

Quote by metacarpi
We used to have to use those at work, and they're ****ing shite.

Getting off to a good start here
Last edited by Duffman123 at Jul 9, 2013,
If you want a great laptop, go find a gaming laptop.

It'll be a bit more expensive but those nerds are serious about their shit
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Buy a Mac. They don't get viruses.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Buy a Mac. They don't get viruses.

I run ubuntu, which is free, and no viruses

Quote by Obsceneairwaves
If you want a great laptop, go find a gaming laptop.

It'll be a bit more expensive but those nerds are serious about their shit

I'm poor.
Quote by Duffman123
I'm poor.

sell your body it's totally worth it

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by guitarxo
i fujitsu I am a fujitsu fangirl

Dude isn't that a bed?

like a fujitsu air mattress?

I'm pretty sure that's a bed

EDIT: I googled that, and nothing showed up but I'm still not convinced

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by Duffman123

I'm poor.

But Macs are better than stupid PC's because they don't get viruses.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Duffman123

I'm poor.

then get a desktop.

Toshibas are pretty sturdy and cheap cause they target students though. Every other brand at similar price range will fall to pieces in a few months. Toshiba is the only brand laptop I've owned/used where after 3+ years use it was actually in a good enough condition to be sold on.

unless you really dump some money into a decent high end one, most laptops aren't going to last long until something fails. I'd stay away from refurbs because there are so many things that can get worn out on a laptop but seem ok. they will appear fine one day and suddenly snap or crack or blow a fuse the next.

One thing I like about my gaming laptop is that you can replace and modify everything so it's not a pain if something fails. I already upgraded the screen, put in an extra drive (ssd), upgraded the wlan and I repaste my cpu/gpu every other month. but it's getting outdated in specs and I can't decide if I want to replace the graphics chip or just get a new machine.

Anyway, I'd say if you just need one for basic stuff, you can get an older model toshiba or asus quite cheap. and forget trackpads and get yourself a wireless mouse.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
If I had the resources I'd take a chunky old laptop and gut it and replace it with bits from a new slimline one. Modern bits, old chassis. Would be cool.
Jesus you should use that brick to smash a window(s).

No, you get used to the new ones, or you hollow one of those bricks out and just throw new shit into it. Or just get an external mouse and keyboard, that'd be the cheapest way to go about it, I never use my track pad, and the keyboard took weeks to get used to after using a desktop all my life.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 9, 2013,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Not sure if joking or stupid.

You probably use a PC so you're stupid.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
But Macs are better than stupid PC's because they don't get viruses.

In all seriousness I sure hope you don't actually believe that macs can't get viruses.

I have a toshiba that works great and is holding up well, but my old dell inspiron is sturdier.

BTW ts, why do you hate 8? Do you have legitimate gripes or are you just jumping on the bandwagon? I haven't had a single problem with windows 8, and it runs significantly faster on my toshiba with a 64 bit 1.8ghz dual core AMD (4gigs of RAM) than my dell, which was a 64 bit 2.4ghz dual core Intel on win 7 with a brand new hard drive and 6 gigs of RAM. 8 uses what power is there much more efficiently.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Not sure if joking or stupid.

Why not both? It seems unfair to deprive Sir BladeSlinger of the freedom to be stupid and joking. This is America!
I got an Asus Transformer Prime tablet/keyboard. I like it. Serves its purpose.

Got it $400 brand new too.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by tukk04
Do you have legitimate gripes or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?
If it came with copy of "Startisback" everyone would love it.

No one likes lack of start button/MetroUI.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by Mind_Reader7

Yeah, first thing I did was find a program to get the start menu back. Metro doesn't bother me, but I still go to use start out of habit.
Quote by Mind_Reader7

I just live in the desktop view in Windows 8 and after using it for a few days I'm getting use to the lack of a start button BUT Microsoft are bringing the start button back in 8.1.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by So-Cal
Acer's are cheap but solid.

Nah, Acer's are just low quality. ASUS is usually just a bit more expensive, but much higher quality.
Quote by tukk04
BTW ts, why do you hate 8? Do you have legitimate gripes or are you just jumping on the bandwagon? I haven't had a single problem with windows 8, and it runs significantly faster on my toshiba with a 64 bit 1.8ghz dual core AMD (4gigs of RAM) than my dell, which was a 64 bit 2.4ghz dual core Intel on win 7 with a brand new hard drive and 6 gigs of RAM. 8 uses what power is there much more efficiently.

I'm a ubuntu fan boy. The reason why 8 is annoying me is because I've been using ubuntu for the last 2 years and windows feels so backwards and awkward.

Quote by theguitarist
then get a desktop.

My budget is £400 max, cant seem to find a decent pc for that price.

If someone wants to tell what's my best option with that budget then I'm happy to listen.

I'm also currently using a samsung 350v, which I'm about to send back.
Quote by Vampire 255
BUT Microsoft are bringing the start button back in 8.1.

Not entirely true. They're bringing back a reworked version. Not really the same, but still "a" start button.
- Devin Townsend
Quote by Duffman123
I'm a ubuntu fan boy. The reason why 8 is annoying me is because I've been using ubuntu for the last 2 years and windows feels so backwards and awkward.

Couldn't you just load ubuntu onto it then or am I missing something here?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by progdude93
Nah, Acer's are just low quality. ASUS is usually just a bit more expensive, but much higher quality.

Well I've abused my Acer Aspire everyday for the past 3 years and it still runs like clockwork.
Quote by stratkat
No, you get used to the new ones, or you hollow one of those bricks out and just throw new shit into it. Or just get an external mouse and keyboard, that'd be the cheapest way to go about it, I never use my track pad, and the keyboard took weeks to get used to after using a desktop all my life.

But my Dell of 8 years has a great keyboard and track pad (wasn't even expensive at the time), so I don't think it's too much to ask for.

Quote by Vampire 255
Couldn't you just load ubuntu onto it then or am I missing something here?

This is what I'm planning on doing, the design and durability of modern laptops is my main gripe.
Quote by progdude93
Why not both? It seems unfair to deprive Sir BladeSlinger of the freedom to be stupid and joking. This is America!

USA USA USA

Apple products are the best because they're made right here in America. Bill Gates is just some nerd and PC's are dumb.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Duffman123

My budget is £400 max, cant seem to find a decent pc for that price.

If someone wants to tell what's my best option with that budget then I'm happy to listen.

I'm also currently using a samsung 350v, which I'm about to send back.

Get a Toshiba.

trackpads and keyboards can vary from brands, you might find one that is really nice but overall laptop spends half the time in a repair shop.

and at £400, you have enough to build a desktop that'll do as long as you're not planning to do anything extreme with it.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Dude isn't that a bed?

like a fujitsu air mattress?

I'm pretty sure that's a bed

EDIT: I googled that, and nothing showed up but I'm still not convinced

I used to have this

then I gave it to my dad because he needed a new laptop but didn't want to buy one for himself. It's almost 6 years old and it's only very slightly slower but seems exactly the same otherwise. Best purchase ever.

This is the one I have now

I was gonna get a macbook air because I wan'ted something lightweight but then I found this and it's lighter and cheaper and prettier and it has stuff that the macbook air doesn't

Quote by theguitarist
toshiba toshiba toshiba

I've had horrible experiences with toshibas :
cat
Quote by theguitarist
Get a Toshiba.

trackpads and keyboards can vary from brands, you might find one that is really nice but overall laptop spends half the time in a repair shop.

and at £400, you have enough to build a desktop that'll do as long as you're not planning to do anything extreme with it.

The Toshiba's in my price range seem to get mediocre reviews though.

I'd maybe be interested at building my own, but that £400 would have to include a monitor/keyboard/mouse, and I'm a complete novice.
Quote by Duffman123

I'd maybe be interested at building my own, but that £400 would have to include a monitor/keyboard/mouse, and I'm a complete novice.

I built my own.

You definitely can.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by guitarxo

I've had horrible experiences with toshibas :

Quote by Duffman123

I'd maybe be interested at building my own, but that £400 would have to include a monitor/keyboard/track, and I'm a complete novice.

hm. maybe their quality has taken a dive. it was 5+ years since I got that toshiba, lol.

also you can get cheap low end PCs and chuck in a separate monitor. one of my mates did that, just got a £200 one from ebuyer and got a 2nd hand screen for £50. works well enough. can throw in a m&k combo for like £20. all in all, it's only a like £50 markup at most from building it yourself

e.g: http://www.ebuyer.com/search?price=0+TO+300&cat=191

It's even better if you're planning on just running ubuntu cause you can leave out throwing money at m$ for an os.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I bought a sturdy 17 inch Dell for 950 euros. Cant be happier with it. Ts you should do the same.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 2