I'm looking to replace my aging Korg pandora px4d. I love the thing, but its starting to act funky and I want a new toy.

here's features I would like
Drum tracks/metronomes
Looper function for guitar input
Aux in
ability to modify patches or settings on a PC
decent headphone sounds

Seems like my best bet is the KORG PX5D, my only real complaints about it is the price $160 and the lack of rechargeable batteries. I do like that you can plug in a foot switch if you want, and the sound seems solid. I am however looking at the vox JAMVOX, you can get them for about 50 bucks used they seem to hit most things on my list, but in a bulkyer package. I dont like that the jamvox has to be hooked upto a pc to do its thing... but its a 100 dollar differences.

Anything else I should be considering?
Zoom G3 looks pretty good, if I was in the market for an effects modeller right now that's what I'd get. Footswitchable effects, drum tracks, looper, very intuitive looking custom effects chain so you can experiment with that. G3X comes with an expression pedal that can be linked to parameters on your effects. Only thing I'm not sure on is amp modelling. It does it, but I've never heard anyone rave about the amp modelling.
Zoom G3 is a solid choice... seems like I could also throw it on a pedal board and serve double duty. my major complaint is there's no AUX in... Makes headphone jamming impossible. Thats a bummer, with that it would probobly be a perfect buy.
Oh, damn, sorry, I thought it had one! Surprising omission. You might be able to use another device to mix in the backing track/music but I can't think of anything cheap off the top of my head that'd work as an active headphone mixer.
No aux in, but you could use the USB to play it through your PC, the PC could also play whatever media you need to jam along to through your headphones.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Wouldn't that introduce latency? I have yet to see any system like this with no latency. Plus, then I need to have my pc handy to use it.
iOS Device. In particular the iPad.

I use Peavey's ampkit to interface my guitar and for amp/effects/speaker/mic models.
http://www.peavey.com/products/ampkitlink/

For learning songs "Guitar Pro"
http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=product-iphone-ipad#/interface

For drums / metronome, Mike Desmonds drum apps (he has a bunch of different styles available..
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/punk-drum-loops/id475570229?mt=8

For learning songs, Anytune Pro. This allows you to loop section of your music,change the tempo so you can slow down tough sections, and change the pitch to match your tuning.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anytune-pro+-music-practice/id478293637?mt=8
I've been looking at the iOS side of things. But I dont own one, and plunking down 400 bucks is a bit much for this. Out of curiosity, how is the latency from the peavey ampkit? Can you straight up use it to jam out?
Quote by somekid413
I've been looking at the iOS side of things. But I dont own one, and plunking down 400 bucks is a bit much for this. Out of curiosity, how is the latency from the peavey ampkit? Can you straight up use it to jam out?

Zero latency on the iPad 3 (not perceivable). You can output to a pa no problem.
Quote by somekid413
Wouldn't that introduce latency? I have yet to see any system like this with no latency. Plus, then I need to have my pc handy to use it.

Latency on interfaces these days is so minimal you won't notice it, if you do experience it then it's more likely to be your PC that's causing it.

But I can understand not wanting to be tied to your PC though, so if that's a definite requirement the G3 won't work for you.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
So then... any good interfaces that have modeling software built in? I guess I'm not tottally opposed to the PC solution, just seems like most interfaces are for recording only
Quote by 667
Buy a cheap modeler like a Vyper 15/30 or a Micro Cube.

Dont care about the modeling, more interested in practice tools like looping, aux in, drum tracks/jam tracks. pc interface is bonus. So far nothing has beat the px5d for the price.
Quote by somekid413
So then... any good interfaces that have modeling software built in? I guess I'm not tottally opposed to the PC solution, just seems like most interfaces are for recording only

Modeling built in to the interface is usually only there when it's a multifx that also works as an interface like the Zoom G3, Line 6 do some as well but their interfaces aren't particularly highly regarded.

Over in the recordings forum there's a sticky with loads of interface recommendations, and another with loads of VST recommendations for your amp modelling. Lots of the models are actually free. There's also a chat thread where most of the conversation is about what plugins are out there, most of the conversation for the past day or so has been about a range of Orange amp models.

The only difference with using a PC for practice and using it to record is whether or not you hit the record button - aside from that, all the kit & software is the same.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I agree with you Gary, and I'll take a look at the interface threads... I think the main reason I'm still leaning toward the px5 is it is an interface, and frankly.. I usually prefer dedicated hardware to software, Id way rather plug into a device and be on my way, than finding the right plugins, software etc. and that assumes everything actually works.

I really like the px4 because, I can aux in my android tablet and use that to play music to jam too, or just run the drum machine and walk around my house in any room and play. the px5 has the added bonus of the looper and seems to be a halfway decent effects box in a pinch.
Totally agree - I actually prefer dedicated hardware too. I use a standalone multitracker & always mic my amp when I'm recording so my PC isn't involved

Over in the recordings forum I'm usually the guy who reminds people that you don't have to use software, sometimes I think people forget you can use real amps as well as sims! They can often be the right answer though, they're a great way to practice silently when needed.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If your aux in is compatible with a $30 Irig put 'em between your guitar and a G3. Presto, the G3 has an aux in.

Edit: I think you may need a some sorta studio app on you're aux in as well and the fx on the g3 will affect everything. GarageBand on an iPod hooked into a g3 makes a superb late night apartment/travel rig IMO.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 10, 2013,