#1
Hey guys, I bought one of these VOX VT30 amps second hand a couple of years ago:



But a couple of weeks ago the speaker stopped working, and after a while of leaving the amp turned on there was a slight electrical burning smell.

yesterday i plugged in my headphones to the line out/headphone jack and it was working fine. Does this indicate a blown speaker? or would it be a fuse between the power amp and the speaker or something similar?

If it were to be a problem with the voice coil, would this be simple for me to fix with a basic understanding of soldering or would it require me to buy something/hire somebody very expensive to fix?

Thanks!

Joner.
#2
Were you playing when it failed?

In general if it gets hot t turn it off.

If whatever is wrong with it shy of a $20 speaker, it wouldn't be worth getting a shop. Usually a bench fee is $50 plus $50 more for each additional hour.

Unless there is a simple common fix that i haven't heard of (which is possible), it may be time for a new amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"


Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.


Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.



****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
#4
Thanks guys, No the amp just wasn't working as soon as I turned it on the other week, and I heard no noise or anything before it had broken.

I'll have a look inside the amp as soon as I can and reply. Will there be any less obvious signs I should look for that indicate a broken/burnt out connection? or should it be fairly easy to spot?
#5
Just look for bad/cold/broken solder joints.
But first thing I would check is the wiring to the speaker.
They may have just come loose.
#6
I'm slightly confused, after checking over the inside of my amp, I couldn't find any obvious broken/burnt out connections, all cables are connected properly including the speaker cables.

I intend to do a continuity test incase I've missed anything. But I feel the burning smell that I mentioned in my first post must be of some importance - I've just been reading through some websites which mention that this might be due to a broken valve (My amp has one valve but is not a full valve amp - not quite sure how the amp uses it)

but if this were true how come my headphone output is still working? and if it is truly a blown speaker why would there be a burning smell?

cheerz
#7
your amp uses a 12ax7 in the power section. The headphone out is before the power amp so it would not be affected more than likely.

A 12ax7 is like $10 for a decent one (I like the Mullard 12ax7 and the JJ ecc83)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
#9
Quote by joner.jones
I see, so it is very likely that this problem is due to the valve?

Yes it is. From what you said happened it would be my 1st thing to check and it is a cheap thing to check also
go grab a 12ax7 from a music store and put it in there.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate