Poll: How does the finish usually come off a poly body?
Poll Options
View poll results: How does the finish usually come off a poly body?
Finish is a complete PITA to chisel off.
4 80%
It flys off just like in the commercial! o_0
1 20%
Voters: 5.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
First question. WHY are you going to strip it? People always get these crazy ideas to strip bodies and it is just a waste of time.

it got a boo-boo.

so i figured i'd put a thin nitro finish on it because it looks like complete shit.

a dinged up tele is beautiful but what i have looks like broken glass.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 9, 2013,
The problem is you have to sand all this stuff down, and that takes ages, then you have to put on finish after finish and sand down between layers, and then get to polishing. It does take rather a while. I am sure there must be an easier method than taking the whole finish off to fix a small dent like that.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
i didn't plan on sanding the finish off, i planned on using a heat gun like in the video.

i didn't plan on doing multiple coats of paint either. it would cover the grain up.

a few coats of clear after the paint yeah.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 9, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020
i didn't plan on sanding the finish off, i planned on using a heat gun like in the video.

i didn't plan on doing multiple coats of paint either. it would cover the grain up.

a few coats of clear after the paint yeah.

Well that's what I meant, the clear is a lot harder to get right than the paint because it generally dissolves the layer underneath it, so you just end up with a really thick, gloopy mess if you're not careful.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by gregs1020
I may be taking the poly finish off a g&l tribute series (import) body.

How does that usually go?

the second video the finish flys off the damn thing, in the first he's scraping and heating and having no luck.

i'd kinda like to know which i'm in for.

I've seen far far more of the first video than the second video. Heat gun and scraper is my tip.

Second video is probably an indicator of poly that didn't have a good primer or grip on the material under it when it was finished. It just comes away with a little bit of heat.

Which isn't how many people actually apply a finish, usually.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
so it's going to be a bitch, that figures.

thanks guys, i appreciate the input.

now if i can just put this guitar down long enough to take it apart i can get started.