I'm looking for either a combo amp or a head and speaker that adds up to my price range. Not gonna add many pedals or anything...looking for a simple rig. Something good for a guitar that is detuned, playing melodic, heavy gain stuff. Preferably a used one.

I want a Marshall really bad...but they go for so much. I was looking at peavey's...but idk if they are going to give me the thick melodic guitar sound i want...I know i would want one with v30's in it probably, not sheffields
I'd recommend using that money to buy a used Mesa 4x12, then save up. If you buy a combo, you're gonna have to sell it when you need a stack, and that could be tricky, if you buy a cheap cab, you're gonna have to sell that to replace it, and that'll be tricky, so get a great, expensive cab, then you're free to use any head you want. I'll hazard a guess and say you'll be much happier with a Peavey than a Marshall for what you play, the 6505 has sort of become the standard for heavy, detuned music, unless I've misunderstood you, really, heavy and detuned can be anything from Bullet For My Valentine to Cathedral.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
I'd recommend using that money to buy a used Mesa 4x12, then save up. If you buy a combo, you're gonna have to sell it when you need a stack, and that could be tricky, if you buy a cheap cab, you're gonna have to sell that to replace it, and that'll be tricky, so get a great, expensive cab, then you're free to use any head you want. I'll hazard a guess and say you'll be much happier with a Peavey than a Marshall for what you play, the 6505 has sort of become the standard for heavy, detuned music, unless I've misunderstood you, really, heavy and detuned can be anything from Bullet For My Valentine to Cathedral.

Nothing wrong with a combo, these days anything that needs higher volumes then a combo can manage will just mic you up anyway
For that money: used Peavey 6505, 6505+, 5150, 5150II, Ultra, XXX, JSX.

You might score a used Marshall DSL for that price too, but as much as I love Marshalls nowadays, Peavey is your better bet for a thick, straight-out brutal metal tone.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz

The Sheffields aren't bad. They'll do just fine until you get around to deciding which speakers you really want to put in it. Considered a Texas Heat/Swamp Thang combo for my 5150 212.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Az8mY6-uAn8
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
The joe satriani model marshall is my dream head right now...might have to settle with peavey though...despite that amp being kind of a one trick pony. I'm not playing only heavy stuff...a good clean channel would be awesome too. I want a devin townsend type thickness in my heavy tone
Why not get the Peavey JSX? it is a great amp and super versatile. No it is not the Marshall JS head, but it is a very good amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Despite what everyone else is saying the 6505+/5150II have a pretty usable clean and crunch tone as well. It's no Fender clean and Marshall crunch, but certainly usable. And the lead channel is just a metal-players dream IMO.

Peavey JSX might be a more or less good call aswell. It's basically a Triple X, but a with a more 'classic' voicing on the gain channels and with a better clean channel from what I read.

Honestly, if you're still set on getting a Marshall I'd say look if you can find a used JCM 2000 DSL, should be in your price range. Amazing amp with a very ballsy tone, all the gain you need and they also provide a great clean and crunch tone for the 20 minutes a week you're not playing balls out metal.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If you are looking for KSE, AILD, ATR etc. sound i would not recommend a marshall, i have tried like 3 of those amps and they all didn't sound really well, but they are really good for lighter more crunchy stuff like ac/dc and so on.
Quote by Reages
If you are looking for KSE, AILD, ATR etc. sound i would not recommend a marshall, i have tried like 3 of those amps and they all didn't sound really well, but they are really good for lighter more crunchy stuff like ac/dc and so on.

If you got those bands from my bio...I made that list in like 8th grade lol. A marshall is probably perfect for what I want.
Where are you located? If you are in the US then maybe we can find a good amp for you locally.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Peavy 5150/6505. If you want to get away for less I'd reccomend the Valveking (not using the Valveking cab to match it). It's much better than what people give it credit for and it can produce some reasonable hi-gain tones that work extremely well in a live-context.
Quote by LouieKablouie77
If you got those bands from my bio...I made that list in like 8th grade lol. A marshall is probably perfect for what I want.

Why don't you actually tell us what you want to play (what bands you want to sound like) so we can give suggestions that actually help you. I haven't seen any sort of info like that in this thread.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I get the feeling that TS would be way happier with a Peavey 5150/6505 than a Marshall, even though he says he wants a Marshall. I haven't heard/played a Marshall yet that could hold a candle to my 6505+ when it comes to sheer brutality.
I play a lot of Slayer, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Dissection, High On Fire, Devin Townsend, Black Sabbath, Smashing pumpkins, Decapitated

As you can see I would probably want something that offers something more than just high gain, something with at least decent crunch and clean.
Vypyr Tube 60?

Just throwin' it out there.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Crunch channel on a 6505 isn't bad.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
6505 can actually be a good rock amp. Dialed in right.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by R45VT
Crunch channel on a 6505 isn't bad.

Quote by Eppicurt
6505 can actually be a good rock amp. Dialed in right.

Can confirm.

It just feels... wrong though.

A JSX or an Ultra Plus would be a good choice, I think.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
5150ii/6505+
like epicurt said if you take the time to dial them in it can do passable "rock" tones. but for this case im gonna go with the vyper tube 60 or the JSX w/ a boost to hit Devins tones.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Offworld92
Can confirm.

It just feels... wrong though.

+1

Oh man this so much.

TS the 5150 can do those melodic tones just fine, imo.
It's going to sound fine, and just that, with Sheffields.
Its going to sound a bit better with V30's.
It actually sounds pretty good with both.
Quote by KailM
I get the feeling that TS would be way happier with a Peavey 5150/6505 than a Marshall, even though he says he wants a Marshall. I haven't heard/played a Marshall yet that could hold a candle to my 6505+ when it comes to sheer brutality.

5150's are great amps, but marshalls can be amazing amps, JCM900 SL-X or DSL would be a good choice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm also throwing a Laney Ironheart in the mix.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The Mesa DC5 is nice.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Honestly, what I would do is find a JCM2000 DSL, and for the super br00tz stuff throw a tubescreamer in front.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Found a 5150 combo amp with sheffields, 60w i believe, for $475. I think I'm gonna do it! pretty decent deal right?
Both are good amps/deal, the JCM if is coupled with original Celestions cab is probably the better resale value but might need an overdrive for that to get to the more heavy stuff. Both great amps, so it is really up to you.
I would not suggest the JCM900 DR. The JCM 900 SL-X is great, but the DR is pretty meh, but there are some good easy mods you can do to them to make them good.

For $475 I'd buy it and a 1960 cab without thinking about it. Then if you like the amp great, if not you can easily get $500 for the head if it is working and in good shape. I would also rather have a head and cab over a 2x12 combo, it is easier to move the head and cab. 2x12 combos are tanks especially the 5150.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by LouieKablouie77
Found a 5150 combo amp with sheffields, 60w i believe, for $475. I think I'm gonna do it! pretty decent deal right?

Depends on if you're factoring in the back surgery you'll need or not.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

He said he recently replaced the preamp tubes with tungsons and the power tubes with rubies, it has the stock sheffields.
Quote by Offworld92

Quote by LouieKablouie77
He said he recently replaced the preamp tubes with tungsons and the power tubes with rubies, it has the stock sheffields.

Translation: It's a heavy amp.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I owned one. Never, ever again.

Inb4 Cath comes in and calls me a little bitch and spams up the thread with his stupid dolly pictures.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Please get one with casters on it.

I ordered one with casters.

Best decision of my life.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
hey OP, 5150/6505

if you're talking about thick, percussive, tight modern metal rhythms, there is no head i've ever played through that fit that purpose better than a 5150/6505 that i've liked more.
1997 Ibanez RG550 w/ EMG 81 bridge - C standard
PEAVEY 6505
Mesa Rectifier slant 4x12