Poll: Which Amp?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Amp?
Peavey Classic 50
7 44%
Vox AC15C1
9 56%
Voters: 16.
Hey so I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Anyway, so I have the opportunity to buy a new (used) amp soon for both about $400, and I was wondering which one I should get? I'm looking for versatality as I'll be using it for P&W at church to Punk at home. My Guitar is a Hss Mim Strat if that helps.

I haven't gotten a chance to use either one yet but what I've learned about each is

Classic 50:
-More headroom
-effects loop
-2 footswitchable channels (clean/lead, switch purchased separately),
-presence knob
-Pre/post gain controls for lead channel
-2 12" Blue Marvel speakers
Is pretty loud but the master knob can help with that if at home
Good amp to run pedals with (which is be nice cuz I have a few pedals I enjoy using)
Weighs about 60 lbs
Made in Usa, built well and supposedly will last long
Valued for about $850

AC 15c1:
-Onboard tremolo
-footswitch included for tremolo/reverb
-Top boost channel
-Tone cut
-1 12" Celestion Greenback
Also pretty loud but tone cut can help with that
Is the "go-to" amp for p&w
Weighs about 50 lbs
Made in China, not sure about build quality
Valued for about $600

(Either way it looks like I'll have to start working out again if I wanna get used to lugging either one around every week )
Last edited by DNaidoo95 at Jul 9, 2013,
i thought the go-to amp for p&w was a dumble. at least if tgp is to be believed

how will the tone cut help with the volume thing on the ac15? i guess it'll help with the harsh treble but i'm guessing it'll still be pretty loud
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey has great cleans, workable OD channel. But I would not call it well built. They are incredibly fragile from my experience and not cheap to fix. Not typical of a Peavey product at all.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Peavey has great cleans, workable OD channel. But I would not call it well built. They are incredibly fragile from my experience and not cheap to fix. Not typical of a Peavey product at all.

Never had any reliability issues from mine, and it has been dropped, bumped, left in the heat and humidity,had drinks spilled on it, and played loud for long periods of time. The PCB's could be more robust, but it's certainly equal to or better than the Vox.
Quote by 4FunandProphet
Never had any reliability issues from mine, and it has been dropped, bumped, left in the heat and humidity,had drinks spilled on it, and played loud for long periods of time. The PCB's could be more robust, but it's certainly equal to or better than the Vox.

I had a really old unit, from 1993. But it's crapped out on me for the second time now. Want to trade?
Quote by patriotplayer90
I had a really old unit, from 1993. But it's crapped out on me for the second time now. Want to trade?

I'll pass, just on the shipping alone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought the go-to amp for p&w was a dumble. at least if tgp is to be believed

how will the tone cut help with the volume thing on the ac15? i guess it'll help with the harsh treble but i'm guessing it'll still be pretty loud

I'm talking about closer to my budget range haha, and I meant the tone cut along with the master volume, from what I've heard will help shape the tone at bedroom levels? I'm not too sure exactly actually
I'm gonna step out of character here for a bit and suggest the Peavey (I'm a bit of a Vox fanboy).

You'll get more clean headroom with the peavey, especially if you play with a drummer.

Here's a picture of the PV if it helps (since they've changed the models over the years)
Quote by CodeMonk

Yeah, I know.

If only man haha, I'd love to snag 'em both, especially since they're great prices
Punk with an AC15C1 will need help unless you are playing old punk, but it's perfect for P&W. The typical P&W guys play something Vox or similar like Badcat, Matchless, or Jackson Ampworks. You can actually get great punk sounds with a Proco Rat (I'd go for the 85 whiteface reissue), but the Peavey will have great cleans and usable overdrive for punk. Maybe try the Classic 30? It breaks up earlier, but it's still loud and similar sounding.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
AC30. Otherwise, the Peavey.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 to what Cath said.

Also how is the tone cut expected to cut down the volume? The purpose of the tone cut is to bring back higher frequencies since the Vox's are quite bright.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Quote by Volcz
+1 to what Cath said.

Also how is the tone cut expected to cut down the volume? The purpose of the tone cut is to bring back higher frequencies since the Vox's are quite bright.

I misunderstood the tone cut it seems. Since it's part of the master section I thought it compliments the master volume. And I'd love to get a ac30 but no one's selling one for my budget
Quote by sg4ever
Punk with an AC15C1 will need help unless you are playing old punk, but it's perfect for P&W. The typical P&W guys play something Vox or similar like Badcat, Matchless, or Jackson Ampworks. You can actually get great punk sounds with a Proco Rat (I'd go for the 85 whiteface reissue), but the Peavey will have great cleans and usable overdrive for punk. Maybe try the Classic 30? It breaks up earlier, but it's still loud and similar sounding.

Thanks for the info dude, it's helpful to know.

I'm considering the classic 30 as well, but the lack of a standby switch kind of bothers me
Standby switches are unnecessary. Don't give it a moments thought.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Wouldn't it come down to "treble's ok" or "I really frickin' love a chime-y tone and sooo wish I could plug my guitar into a bell but since I can't..."?
That is a hard choice. Play them. They are quite different, really pick what you want from a tone aspect. I would probably go vox but i am not sure if I played that specific model, there are a few vox amps that have some suffix after the ac15---.

Play them both see what fits you best.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by DNaidoo95
Thanks for the info dude, it's helpful to know.

I'm considering the classic 30 as well, but the lack of a standby switch kind of bothers me

non-issue. just keep the volume turned down for a couple of minutes.
Thank you to all your help so far everyone, I'm going to try to find a couple of these to play so I can get a better opinion on the two
Quote by Cathbard
Standby switches are unnecessary. Don't give it a moments thought.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
non-issue. just keep the volume turned down for a couple of minutes.

I've actually heard that from a lot of people, I guess it's just superstition at this point then

Thank you for the help
Quote by DNaidoo95
I'm talking about closer to my budget range haha, and I meant the tone cut along with the master volume, from what I've heard will help shape the tone at bedroom levels? I'm not too sure exactly actually

i was only joking about the dumble

nah i think the cut is just sorta like a reverse presence control (not quite the same, i'm guessing, as voxes don't have negative feedback and presence normally comes in the nfb loop), if anything, as far as i'm aware, it's to tone down the amp's brightness when it's really cranked as el84s can get a bit ratty-sounding at high volumes if you're not careful.

EDIT: yeah seems i was beaten to it on that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
actually pretty hard decision. i would totally buy the AC and rig it with an A/B/Y switch between channels, but i do need an FX loop pretty bad. huge gripe.

considering i already have an an awesome cab, if i got any vox it would be an AC30 head.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
If you're going to play with a loud drummer and other musicians, get the peavey. Any other situation get the VOX.

AC30 would be best of both worlds though. My ultimate vote would be save up more money until you find a used AC30C2

EDIT: Where do you live? I have some time to browse your local ads today
Quote by flexiblemile
If you're going to play with a loud drummer and other musicians, get the peavey. Any other situation get the VOX.

AC30 would be best of both worlds though. My ultimate vote would be save up more money until you find a used AC30C2

EDIT: Where do you live? I have some time to browse your local ads today

thanks for the tips man, and I appreciate that! I live in seattle