Hi guys,

I'm a bit out of touch when it comes to guitar amps today so I'll appreciate any help that is offered here.

I bought a Peavey Classic 50 about five years ago for about €650 - 700 (circa. $900). It is too loud for practicing and I have never been able to use it to it's full potential.

Firstly, I would like to sell it. It is in perfect condition and would like to know what a good price for this would be?

Secondly, what other amps are out there that I could buy for practicing? I would like a tube amp that I can use with my Boss DS-1, BD-2 and my Cry-baby Wah.
I play mainly blues and soft-classic-rock.

I remember a few years ago that many people here were recommending a Fender Blues Junior. Are these still a favorite around here?

I'd prefer not to spend all the cash I could potentially receive for my Classic 50 as I want to get my guitar set up (costs around €250). Of course, if there is an amp out there that sounds great I'd be willing to spend money on it, but please note that it's only a practice amp. Perhaps a practice amp that can be mic'd up if I was to ever play at a really small venue.
Fender American Deluxe SSS Stratocaster (2004)
Peavey Classic 50
Boss DS-1, BD-2
Jim Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
a setup costs 250 euros? what the heck are they doing to it, fitting solid gold strings?

big problem is almost any wattage of a tube amp will be too much if you want to "use it to its full potential". if you want something that sounds good, though, you'll be ok (though if you want something that "sounds good" i don't see why the classic 50 wouldn't work, lol)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a setup costs 250 euros? what the heck are they doing to it, fitting solid gold strings?

big problem is almost any wattage of a tube amp will be too much if you want to "use it to its full potential". if you want something that sounds good, though, you'll be ok (though if you want something that "sounds good" i don't see why the classic 50 wouldn't work, lol)

+1
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Yeah, Blues Junior is 15 watts and it is loud. Of course you can turn it down but that's not "using it to its full potential". But who cares? If it still sounds good at low volume levels, why would you need to use it to its full potential? If full potential means power amp distortion, you won't achieve it at bedroom levels. Even 1 watt amps will be kind of loud to be cranked in a bedroom. I tried one and it wasn't that loud but it would make your parents/neighbors bitch. But many amps sound really good at bedroom levels and it doesn't have to do with the wattage. You don't need to crank it to sound good.

So aren't you happy with the tones you are getting with your Classic 50 or is it just because you can't crank it and feel bad about it? Guitar amps are loud, that's just how it is.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
id go with a fender super champ xd, they are pretty cheap and not to loud and sound great, they are an all tube practice amp and are made for blues
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah, it's expensive here. Considering it would also be set up by U2's former guitar technician... it tends to cost a pretty penny :P.

Quote by MaggaraMarine

So aren't you happy with the tones you are getting with your Classic 50 or is it just because you can't crank it and feel bad about it? Guitar amps are loud, that's just how it is.

I guess it does boil down to this. I feel that the Classic 50 tone is not for me. Perhaps I'm not driving it hard enough, but at the volumes I play at, I do not like it. For example, I have played a Vox AC50 on low and loved it. I'm just wondering if there are any similar amps?

Quote by terrapinturtle
id go with a fender super champ xd, they are pretty cheap and not to loud and sound great, they are an all tube practice amp and are made for blues

Nice, I'll check out reviews on this one.

Also, I would be looking for an amp that has a great clean channel. I'll be using my pedals for distortion and overdrive.
Thanks.
Peavey Classic 50
Boss DS-1, BD-2
Last edited by Acoustic Guitar at Jul 9, 2013,
yeah if you don't like the classic 50 that's fair enough. I just didn't want you to dump it because you weren't able to crank it up to 10 and then buy something else which was no more crankable and maybe didn't sound as good.

what type of tones are you after?

I wouldn't pay the edge 250 euros to set up my guitar, let alone his former tech, but that's just me.

i have a vague recollection of trying one of those higher wattage voxes and hating them so maybe i might not be the best person to listen to...

Quote by terrapinturtle

the super champ isn't all tube, it has modelling in it FFS...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 10, 2013,
aha, yeah €250 is quite steep but I've seen the work he has done on guitars with amazing results. His name is Derrick Nelson if you're interested in looking up information about him.

I suppose the tones I'm after would be a warm mid sounding clean channel. I feel that the Classic 50 has a rubbery sound and doesn't help with the sustain of my guitar. I know it could be my guitar, but I am using a Fender Deluxe Strat that I haven't had problems with other smaller and solid state amps.

The other thing is that the Classic 50 is too heavy to be hauling around to jam sessions.
Peavey Classic 50
Boss DS-1, BD-2
thanks for the info on the tech

i'm not actually sure what to suggest- most fenders (which are the usual suspects for clean pedal platforms) are kinda scooped (apart from tweed circuits). you're right, though, 2x12 combos (the classic 50 is 2x12, isn't it?) are super heavy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always thought "warm and mid heavy" was the C50's calling card, especially on the clean channel. However, mine has been modded to hell and gone for some time, so it may not be representative of stock C50 tone any longer. I really don't know where to point you in the realm of valve amps, since most decent combos are quite hefty. Blues Deluxe perhaps?
A used vox ac15 might be a good one for you (especially since you know you liked the ac50)

They're just one speaker so if you're in an appartment, it won't rattle the neighbors as much. Plus your guitar tech already knows how to work on Vox AC amps so he won't mess anything up.

If you ever have to put a mic to it, it's a really great clean sound and it takes pedals well

I don't know what price they go for in Ireland but if you can find one used
What are you getting done to your guitar out of curiosity? You mentioned a set up is this like the standard change of strings, setting the action and trem, intonation and truss rod adjustments or is he doing something special? If it is just your standard "set up" you should learn to do it yourself and save yourself some cash.

Classic 50's also come in 4*10's. If you want warm cleans I know that when I went from a Peavey Classic 30 to a Blues Junior it was like night and day. Shimmering, brighter and warmer. Blues Junior's have master volumes which will help if you want to crank it at lower volumes. It won't be the power tube clipping you'll get by doing that but mightn't hurt to check one out. My Blues Junior also took pedals really really well. Otherwise you already seem to like the AC15. Here's a clip comparing them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU9bWvxGe2Y&noredirect=1
It's the 4 * 10s Classic 50.

I have learned how to set up my guitar myself but I don't have the time at the moment. Many of the frets need to be filed too. It hasn't been set up or brought to a tech in nearly 9 years.

I was tempted to get the Blues Junior before I bought the Classic 50 but I couldn't find one to practice on. Unfortunately, judging from the video, it looks like I missed out.

I see on the Thomann.de website that the AC15's are much more than I expected (€579) new. I'll try find a used one and see if I can get the sound I want. The Fender Blues Jr. is €10 cheaper, wow! I thought it would be more.

It sounds like I've some exploring to do :P.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.
Peavey Classic 50
Boss DS-1, BD-2
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah if you don't like the classic 50 that's fair enough. I just didn't want you to dump it because you weren't able to crank it up to 10 and then buy something else which was no more crankable and maybe didn't sound as good.

what type of tones are you after?

I wouldn't pay the edge 250 euros to set up my guitar, let alone his former tech, but that's just me.

i have a vague recollection of trying one of those higher wattage voxes and hating them so maybe i might not be the best person to listen to...

the super champ isn't all tube, it has modelling in it FFS...

one channel is all tube, now were both correct!
no, it's not, that's an internet myth. Far as i'm aware, anyway. the thing only has one preamp tube. Assuming it's not using a paraphase PI or similar (and it's a fairly safe bet it's not, the vast majority of modern amps use long-tailed pair PIs), it doesn't have enough preamp tubes to handle both the preamp and the phase inverter. even if it were using a single triode for the PI, again the vast majority of amps (even low gain amps) use more than one triode in the preamp. Again, there are exceptions, but they are the exception.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?