I've been playing acoustic and am now switching over to electric which is what I've wanted to do all along, but I'm not sure which amp to get. I'll be in a Pop Punk, Post-Hardcore type band and it'll just be used for practice and possibly some small shows. I'm deding between the 8 in Line 6 iii 15 watt and the Fender 25R Frontman Series II 25W 1x10 Guitar Combo Amp. My friend was going to sell me the Line 6 for $50 and I'll be getting a new guitar, probably pickups and a case etc. So saving a little money interested me.
TO answer your question?

Neither. One, if you're even thinking about playing shows or practicing with a drummer. you need more power than that solid state. 50 watts or so solid state should do.

A Peavey Vypyr 75 should do nicely. I know, it's more expensive. It's worth it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
anything with a drummer i would not use a solid state, they dont have nearly enough power and if u crank them all the way I've gotten mine to screech and it hurt my ears like a bitch, get a fender tube amp or a vox tube amp, theyre more expensive but will save you time for an upgrade :p
Quote by terrapinturtle
anything with a drummer i would not use a solid state, they dont have nearly enough power and if u crank them all the way I've gotten mine to screech and it hurt my ears like a bitch, get a fender tube amp or a vox tube amp, theyre more expensive but will save you time for an upgrade :p

wut, no. Since when do SS amps lack volume/power? Begone.

+1 to the Vypyr recommendation, the amps you've listed TS are sub-par and pretty ordinary considering what you pay for them. A Vypyr 75 or ideally a Tube 60 if you can find one for cheap enough. Plenty of versatility and volume for a band situation.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Where in the world are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by terrapinturtle

If you use a smaller 15 watt amp, yeah it'll sound pretty poor if you crank it all the way. A nice solid state is plenty giggable.

I would go with a Vypyr 75 in the TS's case.
Quote by wat docdude
If you use a smaller 15 watt amp, yeah it'll sound pretty poor if you crank it all the way. A nice solid state is plenty giggable.

What are you on about? Don't say anything if you don't know what you're talking about!

Pretty much your saying an amp like a VOX AC15 or Fender Blues Junior aren't giggable, and that using a 100 watt Marshall MG is.

Those 15 watt tube amps are louder, and sound much better cranked, than the solid state does at any volume.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
+1 for the vyper (never played but I've gotten great tips and learned a lot from some of the guys here that praise them and trust their opinion).
+1 for tubes. Especially if you're playing with drums and another guitarist. And if you are, and the other guitarist is using ss, you're gonna be the man. Tube tone cuts through better than ss.

Also check out the vox vt(30 and up) series. I do have plenty of experience and a fondness for vt's. Their kinda annoying at first but the damn things have dozens of sweet spots in all different tones (it's a modeler) and theyre amazingly cheap used. I think the main consensus around here for modelers is Vyper for high gain, vt for everything else.
Quote by diabolical
+1 on teh Vox VT series. I think you might need about 50 watt solid state or about 30 watt tube if you'd be gigging with a drummer.

I've used a vt30 with just me and the drummer. And I use a Rebel 20 with another guitar, bass and drums fine. Guess it depends on what you're playing and how big you are.
Quote by Volcz
What are you on about? Don't say anything if you don't know what you're talking about!

Pretty much your saying an amp like a VOX AC15 or Fender Blues Junior aren't giggable, and that using a 100 watt Marshall MG is.

Those 15 watt tube amps are louder, and sound much better cranked, than the solid state does at any volume.

The post I was quoting was in reference to solid state amps. I suppose I should have clarified, but still.

Of course an AC15 can gig. A 15 Watt Spider IV will give you some trouble.
Quote by wat docdude
The post I was quoting was in reference to solid state amps. I suppose I should have clarified, but still.

Of course an AC15 can gig. A 15 Watt Spider IV will give you some trouble.

You're still not right.

There's no such thing as SS watts or tube watts, a watt is a watt. That's it. The reason tube amps sound louder is because they produce even harmonics and it's a perceived to be louder. You would still need to mic up an AC15. Try gigging with an AC15 clean with a drummer unmiced, it won't happen.

Stop spreading misinformation, please.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Jul 10, 2013,
Quote by Eppicurt
wut, no. Since when do SS amps lack volume/power? Begone.

+1 to the Vypyr recommendation, the amps you've listed TS are sub-par and pretty ordinary considering what you pay for them. A Vypyr 75 or ideally a Tube 60 if you can find one for cheap enough. Plenty of versatility and volume for a band situation.

my mistake, i play with a drummer who hits crazy hard like hes dave grohl or something, im speaking based off of my experience
Quote by Volcz

i think hes talking about solid state amps
Budget?

Where are you located?

This will help.

Also, you say pickups? what guitar are you getting? I ask because unless it's a real crap guitar, you won't see nearly as much improvement with a pickup change, than you would a better amp. So $50-$100 more towards the amp would be a wiser use of money, IMO.
Last edited by D_M_I at Jul 10, 2013,
Quote by Eppicurt
You're still not right.

There's no such thing as SS watts or tube watts, a watt is a watt. That's it. The reason tube amps sound louder is because they produce even harmonics and it's a perceived to be louder. You would still need to mic up an AC15. Try gigging with an AC15 clean with a drummer unmiced, it won't happen.

You're right, but that's not really what I'm saying.

If you're just practicing with your band in the basement, you'll be able to go a lot further with an AC15 versus a Spider.

Having a cheaper Line 6 on the crunch channel and turning the master up half way leads to some sounds that could be pretty accurately described as screechy. Cranking the AC15 will give you some rather nice tones.

I wasn't making any shots towards solid state amps, I was just being a bit odd in how I addressed the post where he stated his amp got screechy. My main amp is solid state. I probably should've said something more along the lines of "inexpensive, small, solid state, practice amp".
+ (however many) on the Vypr75. I use one in a band situation and it cuts through just fine.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Quote by Eppicurt
You're still not right.

Tube watts are louder because of how watts are rated. Watts are watts but you can go over the advertised power. Watts are measured in RMS which is clean power. A SS amp clipping is very undesirable but a tube amp going over the rated power is desirable in many situations. It's not a matter of perceived volume. SS amps sound good below their maximum power output and tube amps sound good above it. A pushed 15W tube amp going to be more than 15W but no one is going to push a 15W SS amp because it will sound terrible.
My mate is a drummer.

I started out on a solidstate 40watt roland cube and couldend hear shit when i turned the volume up. Sounded like i was playing with my cube litterly in a mud-pool.

I now use a tube amp Marshall class5, wich is only 5watts but i put the volume on 6/10, if i set it louder my mate complains lol. (overdrive pedal on 8/10 volume tho)

Wattages are overrated in amp-world tbh. U just have to take them for a spin first.
Quote by JELIFISH19
A pushed 15W tube amp going to be more than 15W but no one is going to push a 15W SS amp because it will sound terrible.

Not necessarily. See, we've mostly only seen cheap solid state amps of late, but back in the early 70's, there was quite a bit of progress ramping up on them, and the higher-end amps were, some of them, quite good even when pushed beyond their distortion limits.

What happened was that some engineer who was working for Carvin in California at the time developed a circuit that essentially duplicated tube distortion characteristics. At the time, he allowed anyone to copy it (no patents on it). But about the time that it was worming its way throughout the solid state industry, trade relations with the Soviet bloc and their military's reliance on tube electronics gave the tube amp industry new life, and solid state really wasn't developed all that much any more.

But I have a '71 Carvin with 275W that does VERY well when pushed. And the cabinet that goes with it is a huge thing (48" x 30" x 14"), ported, and loaded with two Altec 418-8A 15"' speakers and a mids/highs horn. Amazing amp that does tube-type distortion well enough.

It's unlikely that we'll see solid state amps return to that, however, since the modelers (essentially preamps) are handling distortion long before we get to the power amp stage.
Quote by diabolical
I did fine with a heavy hitting drummer when I was playing though an Orange Tiny Terror (15 watt) so it is all relative.

If you're being miked or running DI through the PA system it doesn't matter how much power your amp has. We're seeing a LOT more of this and less of the "my amp has to be able to outshout a manic drummer" setups.
Quote by dspellman
Not necessarily. See, we've mostly only seen cheap solid state amps of late, but back in the early 70's, there was quite a bit of progress ramping up on them, and the higher-end amps were, some of them, quite good even when pushed beyond their distortion limits.

What happened was that some engineer who was working for Carvin in California at the time developed a circuit that essentially duplicated tube distortion characteristics. At the time, he allowed anyone to copy it (no patents on it). But about the time that it was worming its way throughout the solid state industry, trade relations with the Soviet bloc and their military's reliance on tube electronics gave the tube amp industry new life, and solid state really wasn't developed all that much any more.

But I have a '71 Carvin with 275W that does VERY well when pushed. And the cabinet that goes with it is a huge thing (48" x 30" x 14"), ported, and loaded with two Altec 418-8A 15"' speakers and a mids/highs horn. Amazing amp that does tube-type distortion well enough.

It's unlikely that we'll see solid state amps return to that, however, since the modelers (essentially preamps) are handling distortion long before we get to the power amp stage.

I'm not saying solid-state amps sound bad when loud, I'm saying that they don't sound good past their RMS wattage. Your Carvin is 275W. ISP amps and the Randall T2 and V2 were solid-state and those are rated somewhere between 300W and 500W. They have a lot of power so you can avoid power amp clipping. SS amps can simulate the tone of a pushed tube power section but they're not really pushing anything themselves.