I'm starting a progressive metal/rock band with some friends of mine. I think I really need a different amp to meet the needs of this group. (and just to play heavier music in general.) We are looking at 2 guitars, Bass, Keyboard/Synth, Drums, and Vocalist. I'm more of a rhythm player, if that makes any difference. I really love riffs like the guys in Periphery produce.

Budget? - Currently my budget tops out at $800.

Genres? - I'm starting a band with some friends in our university's music department. Bands we really like are: Dream Theater, Periphery, TesseracT, Opeth, Animals As Leaders, Porcupine Tree...etc
I would like to have cleans as well.

New or Used? - I'm totally cool with trying to find something used, even if it is a bit harder, but I know it's worth it!

Home or Gig? - We shall jam all of the jams, but we would like to gig around the area too!

Closest City? - The closest city to me is Nashville. Roughly 2 hours away. I have family there, so it's not a big deal to go down there.

Current Gear? - Currently I'm playing a Fender Stratocaster (American Deluxe), with a Peavey Classic 30. (Note: I will get a different guitar at some point for projects like these, but I thought a new amp would be the best update.)

Thanks for suggestions!
5150 III. If you can afford it.

JSX/XXX/Vypyr 60/Pod HD and a poweramp. You're kind of spoiled for choice.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Those bands generally rely on digital/modeling setups, most commonly Axe FX units. On your budget I would look into running a Pod HD into a power amp. Its extremely versatile and can achieve those impossible-for-analog stop-start pauses that those bands rely so heavily on.
Have you tried the Classic 30 with an overdrive pedal? You might be able to get some good metal tones out of it that way.
Does the Classic 30 have an fx loop? Might be able to bypass the preamp section and run a multifx processor through the fx return.
I'd say look for Marshall DSL combo or head used, that'd be my first choice or Peavey JSX/XXX/5150/6505.
Quote by diabolical
Have you tried the Classic 30 with an overdrive pedal? You might be able to get some good metal tones out of it that way.
Does the Classic 30 have an fx loop? Might be able to bypass the preamp section and run a multifx processor through the fx return.
I'd say look for Marshall DSL combo or head used, that'd be my first choice or Peavey JSX/XXX/5150/6505.

I have and it really doesn't do enough. It's just not a metal amp. My temporary solution has been a Vox Satchurator on the Clean Channel. It does have a Fx loop.
if you can stretch the budget i wouldnt definately second the idea of the 5153. absolutely killer amp. If not, look for a used engl, thats what misha used before he moved over to the axefx units. I'd also leave some room in your budget for a nice noise gate. best purchase i've made thus far
@Calculus - you might be able to supplement with pedals if you want to keep that amp as it is a good amp. The Blackstar HT-2 Metal/Dual might work great in an instance like this or something from Sansamp like the GT-2, either via the clean channel or injected straight into the power amp via the fx return loop.

Since the Satchurator is a distortion pedal you might want to experiment with overdrive on the dirty channel - put overdrive in front of the amp, set dirty for crunch and then blast it with overdrive in front.

You can also try some modeling floor processors like Boss GT-10, GT-100, POD HD/XT, Vox Valvetronix, etc...

Anyway, I think this will be one of the amps that you'll eventually miss once you grow out of the djent phase...
Quote by diabolical
@Calculus - you might be able to supplement with pedals if you want to keep that amp as it is a good amp. The Blackstar HT-2 Metal/Dual might work great in an instance like this or something from Sansamp like the GT-2, either via the clean channel or injected straight into the power amp via the fx return loop.

Since the Satchurator is a distortion pedal you might want to experiment with overdrive on the dirty channel - put overdrive in front of the amp, set dirty for crunch and then blast it with overdrive in front.

You can also try some modeling floor processors like Boss GT-10, GT-100, POD HD/XT, Vox Valvetronix, etc...

Anyway, I think this will be one of the amps that you'll eventually miss once you grow out of the djent phase...

I played a Blackstar ht-5 mini stack over the weekend. I really liked it. I'm kinda concerned about volume on it. But the overdrive tone was great, and the clean really breathed well.
I also played a couple of VHT combos. I liked them as well, but I felt that they were darker tone wise. Cleans were great on them as well.

I wouldn't say it's a phase. I've been wanted a amp for heavier music for a sometime now. I enjoy a lot of metal/prog bands as well as 'djent'.
I do like the clean channel on my Classic 30. I hate the overdrive, it's too fuzzy for my tastes. I'm not planning on getting rid of it though.
Quote by ExDementia
Those bands generally rely on digital/modeling setups, most commonly Axe FX units. On your budget I would look into running a Pod HD into a power amp. Its extremely versatile and can achieve those impossible-for-analog stop-start pauses that those bands rely so heavily on.

+311

Digital is really the way to go here for djent/modern prog.

POD HD for more organic tone, POD X3 Live/HD147/Vetta II for more djent.

Tube amps are wonderful, they're great. But they're not always the answer. For djent, they're not the answer. Not even something as nice as the 5150 III. Obviously they can work in the studio, but even Periphery still use Axe FX live, despite using a 5150 III for practice/possibly for recording.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 21, 2013,