Page 1 of 2
Do you believe in legal positivism or the natural law theory?

Are law and morality connected?

This should be pretty one sided, but I'm looking for opinions.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Some laws are moral, some laws are there cause some politicians pocket got stuffed. Some laws a majority of people disagree with so why are they even there huh. Laws have more to do with the Government and how they choose to rule.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, it's going to be one sided... I believe in Harvey Dent too.

I like to think of Harvey Dent as some sort of Tooth Fairy equivalent. Like, Harvey Dent sneaks into kids rooms in Gotham and leaves them a dollar under their pillow for not breaking the law.

Hence kids in Gotham saying thy believe in Havey Dent
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
I like to think of Harvey Dent as some sort of Tooth Fairy equivalent.

Harvey Dentures?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

Quote by Weaponized
Some laws are moral, some laws are there cause some politicians pocket got stuffed. Some laws a majority of people disagree with so why are they even there huh. Laws have more to do with the Government and how they choose to rule.

lol. Could you get any more general?
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400

laws may or may not be like rules
Quote by devourke
Quick robin, back to the bat cavity.

Quote by devourke
laws may or may not be like rules

Quote by lambofgod127

I think laws should be come about in a moral manner, but I am wholeheartedly against legislating morality. It goes with my "don't seek to do anything too permanent" philosophy. Because what if you're wrong?
A massive herd of people following and obeying some sentences a group of rich people made up a long time ago? There is no such thing as law. It's just a word that binds you from doing anything.
PLAY WITH A METRONOME
lol Shornifier.

Not sure if taking the mick, or just dumb.
RIP Tom Searle.
"The government should just be there to keep the roads paved and the sewers running" as my dad says. Over the years, I've grown to agree. It's obvious that you're not supposed to kill someone unless they're trying to kill you or someone close to you, and it's obvious you're not supposed to steal from someone. It's not so obvious that you're not supposed to walk across the street when you're not at a crosswalk, or park your car on your front lawn.

And now I'm probably on some list just for *sounding* like a Libertarian (and another one for acknowledging that there is a libertarian list) but it's Natural Law for me.
Quote by Shornifier
A massive herd of people following and obeying some sentences a group of rich people made up a long time ago? There is no such thing as law. It's just a word that binds you from doing anything.

Screw Harvey Dent. We should build statues of this guy.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I don't know dick about law.

Can anyone give a quick run down of what Natural Law and Legal Positivism are? Do we have a law-slacker?
Quote by willT08

Can anyone give a quick run down of what Natural Law and Legal Positivism are? Do we have a law-slacker?

Yeaaah I could probably do with the same if anyone knows their shit?

I've just been accepted onto an MA course which features law pretty heavily, and I haven't a clue what these things mean which doesn't bode well.
Quote by MH400

Says the dude who made the thread by just throwing out a few law-related buzzwords and offering neither any further explanation nor his own opinion on the matter.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I don't see how the laws that stop gays from getting married, are morally right.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by slash_GNR666

To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Shared goals -> shared values (things that are better at achieving shared goals are more valuable) -> shared morals (things which are better at achieving shared goals are good) -> laws (we don't trust everyone to make the right decision so we enforce it)
Laws should be in place so that we don't stab each other and shit.
Last edited by macashmack at Jul 10, 2013,
Quote by blake1221
>starts thread to stroke his ego's cock
>prematurely ejaculates

elegantly put
Laws are for that weaker humans wouldn't get stomped all over and that they'd have a chance in life
Quote by willT08

I would never presume to call myself a slacker (it seems like the height of arrogance), but I'll give you a little sumpin-sumpin.

Natural law is a system that recognizes that we have certain universally accepted rights in virtue of human nature.

Legal positivism is a more de facto analysis of law. Namely, that laws originate from legal sources. So a law passed by Congress is a law, regardless of how it figures in to "natural laws."
Quote by -Mantra-
Laws are for that weaker humans wouldn't get stomped all over and that they'd have a chance in life

You'd be one of the first dead.
Quote by macashmack
You'd be one of the first dead.

I know. I even have trouble getting life sorted out with laws covering my back
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, it's going to be one sided... I believe in Harvey Dent too.

Wouldn't that make it pretty.... two-sided?
Quote by TheChaz
Wouldn't that make it pretty.... two-sided?

Well played. Well played indeed.
I don't think it's right for a human to judge another human in any way.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
I don't think it's right for a human to judge another human in any way.

So you are an anarchist, I assume?
Quote by willT08

Lol at the term 'slacker' becoming a term for somone who knows something about something.

Here will, hope this helps.
http://web.nmsu.edu/~dscoccia/376web/376lpaust.pdf
I took a philosophy course last semester based almost entirely around this kind of stuff, and I found it really interesting. I think a lot of it comes down to perspective, personally. Even if someone calls themselves a natural law theorist they can still have positivist views on other things or see some laws as solely legally binding with no moral influence.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Page 1 of 2