hi guys,

first time poster here, I hope format of this thread is OK, I did used search before and such... anyway:

I am looking for a practice amp for home use and would need a bit of help from you with the choice. But first some backgound: I used to play in a garage/punk band in my youth (some 10+ years ago) and since then I managed to forget more about playing than I ever knew. Recently I started thinking about getting back to the old hobby, hence my research.

Here are my criteria:
- home use only - I need it to play after work, in the evenings, at home
- sadly, can not be too loud - while living in a flat I don't want to piss off my neighbors (too much)
- I will be plugging in Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which I have picked up recently
- music types I want to play - metal, hard rock, rock. I am and old school Metallica fan and ideally I am after the deep, rich, trashy sound Hatfield produces on Ride the Lightning, Master or (yes, not ashamed to say it) ReLoad
- not sure if relevant: I have an old Metal Zone (MT-2, I think) effect buried deep in my parent's garage, which I wasn't planning on digging up, but can do if you here deem it worthwhile
- budget is around 180usd which is the max price of all the amps ilsted below

Now, having said all that here are current amps I am looking at:
- Marshall MG15CFX
- Roland Cube 20XL / Cube 15XL / Micro Cube
- Fender Mustang 1

Ideally you can recommend one of the amps above, if you think something not mentioned here would work better, do say so.

Hoping to get some answers out of this, thanks
Last edited by hlx at Jul 10, 2013,
^

But definitely not the Marshall.

I am not really sure about the differenes between the Cube and the Mustang, but I heard more good things about the last one.

Wanting to be unoriginal, I should also suggest you to check out some Peavey Vypyr.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
added budget in - around 170usd
however I'd rather keep it to the listed amps then go for the new *unless* you can make a case why it should be beneficial to do so
Used Peavey Vypyr 30

It has a 12" speaker which is much better than the 8" speakers in those amps you listed. The Vypy has the better models for metal/hard rock, the Mustang is good at the lower gain sounds. You would also be able to jam with other if it comes to that (which I can almost guarantee will happen).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have trouble finding Vypyrs in my neck of the woods so while I heard good things about it, I havent had a chance to listen to it.

Also assuming 90% of my play time will be solo in the evenings - isn't 30W an overkill?
Quote by hlx
I have trouble finding Vypyrs in my neck of the woods so while I heard good things about it, I havent had a chance to listen to it.

Also assuming 90% of my play time will be solo in the evenings - isn't 30W an overkill?

Well 30 watts can be loud, but it also has a headphone out and a volume knob .

The 12" speaker will sound much better than the 8" speakers that come in the Mustang.
And you can play with others if you want to.

Where are you located in the world? We can help you find good deals on amps this way.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
after doing some more reading I am leaning towards Roland Cubes.

I was wondering if someone with experience can tell me which might seem better for an old metal head like me: Roland Micro Cube (got that r-fier setting emulating mesa boogie amp) or cube20xl (which doesnt have r-fier but more of the other stuff and metal stack settings sounds deep enough for me)
Don't even consider that Marshall.

I have a Mustang 1 V2 and it will do what you want. I was torn between the Roland and the fender, but I couldn't get a Roland to play myself. If you can play both of them, that would be your best bet and choose. I think the Roland has a bit more gain, but the Fender is plenty good. You can connect directly yo a pc and have more options as well. I play a lot of drop tuned metal as well as 80s metal with the Mustang and it does fine.
Any Vox VTs around to try? They cost about the same as the others but I'd take a vt over all three of the others.
Yamaha THR.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by lucky1978
Any Vox VTs around to try? They cost about the same as the others but I'd take a vt over all three of the others.

Not for metal. I have tried one and it wasn't that great for higher gain sounds. (I actually didn't like it that much anyway.)

Roland Micro Cube was my first amp and I think it was pretty decent. I haven't tried a Mustang or Vypyr but have heard good things about them. I'm pretty sure modeling technology has improved and they may sound more "real" than Micro Cube. I think the Fender is designed more for clean/light overdrive sounds and Vypyr is more for metalheads.

Also wattage doesn't really matter. Any amp can be turned down and wattage doesn't equal volume.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
@MaggaraMarine thanks for that

is there any particular reason to buy Micro Cube over Cube 20xl (or the other way round?)
I had the Vypyr 30 and didn't like it much, too processed and lacked real tone.

I would get either

1. basic multi fx and play with headphones
2. Roland Cube and some effects pedals
3. Used 1 to 5w tube amp such as old Laney, Fender,Vox etc

Peavey has one good feature many flashing lights but has a poor tone in my opinion but for a modelling amp does the job well
Personally I don't like any of the amps that you mention.

I'd say Orange Tiny Terror or Marshall Class5 but that is way out of the mentioned budget.

I think one of the old Marshall Valvestate combos will do great and they were a lot better sounding than what you mention. They folded well into lower volume settings as well so you should be fine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARSHALL-8280-VALVESTATE-80-WATT-Bi-Chorus-200-Guitar-Combo-AMPLIFIER-/221166080638?hash=item337e86927e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-Valvestate-8040-1x12-Very-Good-Condition-/300930554089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4610dbd8e9

Another option would be to get a clean tube amp and use it as a blank palette and pile sounds on top of it. A buddy got this one and it was really good:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Kustom_defender/Kustom%20Defender15H_KustomDefenderGuitarSpeakerCabinet.htm

Plenty of other low tube options on the market around your budget. Also some used ones like Fender Blues JR, etc. An older modeler into one of these clean amps might also be in the budget, like say Boss GT-6 or GT-8, or bring your Boss MT-2 out of retirement