Not sure if this has been brought up yet or not. I couldn't find any threads on it.

New US Made PRS S2 Models http://

Expecting these to be right around $1000. Should be interesting.

Interesting. Shame about the dumb carve on the Cu24, but it's nice to see PRS filling out the massive gap between SEs and the standard MIAs.
so no real changes to the mira or starla, just a limited amount of finishes?

the custom 24 looks odd with that top carve.

great way to bridge the gap between the SE and the +$2200 USA PRS stuff like you say.
It's more of a Beveled top rather than a Carved top. Other differences include a scarf joint neck, different tuners, different pickups and a SE Trem. Still though, this should allow more buyers to get into a US Made PRS.
Nice, I like how it keeps a better definition between a "proper" PRS and the S2s.

Clever, wont piss of the guys with their original CU's and the new buyers can show they have their own, not quite budget model.

Shame in the UK they are still X2 the price of the SEs.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by thehikingdude
It's more of a Beveled top rather than a Carved top. Other differences include a scarf joint neck, different tuners, different pickups and a SE Trem. Still though, this should allow more buyers to get into a US Made PRS.

The SE trem material is my main issue apart from the nut with the SE series. I've seen it rust green real quickly, I hope the material they use for it are a higher quality in these.
PRS would have done better to reissue the CE 22/24 line. But I don't really agree about the not having any lower priced USA models. The Mirra X and Starla X were $1100ish new (if I remember corectly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
after looking at the website, i am not really interested. ive seen used CE24s go for around 1300....so what is my incentive here. the wood / top carve looks cheap, and i dont see nearly the high quality specs that i do on USA regular PRS guitars. i realize the list price from PRS is almost 2X for thier normal line, but in terms of what i can get on the street, i am rather dis-satisfied.

however, its all about street price since i would never pay 600-700 for an SE when i see them sell for 400 easy.

all relative i guess....if so facto, ill take a used regular PRS please
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
i found this on the prs site.

"On the PRS S2 series, the neck begins with a quartersawn mahogany neck blank. That blank is cut, the headstock is scarfed, and the heel is built up using a plain splice. (A scarf joint is made up of two pieces of wood that are cut at complementary angles and glued together. A plain splice is a joining of two pieces of wood in the same line). These construction methods allow us to start with a smaller amount of raw materials, and the increased glue surface area results in a very strong joint. This technique combined with a pre-radiused, pre-fretted fretboard result in a very efficient, cohesive manufacturing process that creates a durable, comfortable, playable neck."

i think if i'd just find a used starla or mira, but that's me.

also +1 to the CE series. $1300 is pricey for one of those these days, i've seen them locally for $900.

i hope they do well, paul is an amazing person.
Considering I have an SE, I'd rather save up for an MIA PRS, even if it is ~$1000 more.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Looks underwhelming for what you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_yYfZpKMScg

For $1,000, I really expect more semi-custom touches and nicer choices of colors. I suppose they could be good when they hit the used market. The Mira is the only one that appeals to me, a Bigsby on a PRS just looks weird to me.
Last edited by samuraigoomba at Jul 11, 2013,
I feel like they will probably expand on the series in the future.

I await such expansion.

nah, im not that into PRS, but I like that they are making MIA guitars for a more affordable price. The Mira and Starla look pretty cool, I guess the custom 24 is too modern-styled for me. also yeah, whats up with that carve?
banned
Quote by AWACS
Considering I have an SE, I'd rather save up for an MIA PRS, even if it is ~$1000 more.

The S2 is USA made
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
true. ive seen CE24s going used on guitar center for 950-1000 but pushing 1300 for nicer finishes or better quality.

i really dont see the value here. again, we are screwing the conversation up by talkung used street prices. if you are discussing list, these guitar are probably 2X cheaper than PRS's nornmal line. thats teh big deal.

however, from a consumer standpoint, i dont care. used CE24 please.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
This concept suffers the same problem the LTD Elites or the Ibanez Premiums have. For the price of a new S2, you can get a used USA PRS. As in a proper one.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I'm excited about this series and they are priced right imo (right in line with MIA Fenders and Lower end Gibby's). The CU24 top carve is pretty odd, but I have a feeling that it will probably look better in person than it does in the photos. Can't wait to check these out once they hit stores.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This concept suffers the same problem the LTD Elites or the Ibanez Premiums have. For the price of a new S2, you can get a used USA PRS. As in a proper one.

Same can be said for pretty much any manufacturer, you can get a used Gibson LP Traditional for the price of a new LP Studio or a used MIA strat for the price of a New roadworn strat. Used instruments are always going to be the best bang for the buck, so it's not really fair to compare new prices to used prices.
A quick google is turfing up no difference between an SE custom 24 and an S2 custom 24 other than where its manufactured, is that correct? If so then what's the point. The Korean SE's construction and finish is fantastic, what advantage does being made in the USA add?
Quote by Bassface7
A quick google is turfing up no difference between an SE custom 24 and an S2 custom 24 other than where its manufactured, is that correct?

no that's not correct.

the neck having a scarf joint and heel are different.

the neck on a custom 24 se used to be maple, the S2 CU24 neck is mahogany. (with a scarf joint).

the tuners are different on both. the bridge is the same on both.
For those interested:

S2 CUSTOM 24 MODEL SPECS
BODY
Top Wood Asymmetric Beveled, Bookmatched Figured Maple
Back Wood Mahogany
NECK
Number of Frets 24
Scale Length 25"
Neck Wood Mahogany
Fretboard Wood Rosewood
Neck Shape Pattern Regular
Fretboard Inlays PRS S2 Birds
HARDWARE/ELECTRONICS
Bridge PRS S2 Tremolo
Tuners PRS S2 Locking Tuners
Truss Rod Cover "Custom"
Hardware Type Nickel
Treble Pickup S2 HFS Treble
Bass Pickup S2 Vintage Bass
Pickup Switching Volume & Push/Pull Tone Control with 3-Way Blade Pickup Switch

SE CUSTOM 24 MODEL SPECS
BODY
Top Wood Beveled Maple Top and Flame Maple Veneer
Back Wood Mahogany
NECK
Number of Frets 24
Scale Length 25"
Neck Wood Maple
Fretboard Wood Rosewood
Neck Shape Wide Thin
Fretboard Inlays Birds
HARDWARE/ELECTRONICS
Bridge PRS Designed Tremolo
Tuners PRS Designed Tuners
Truss Rod Cover "PRS"
Hardware Type Nickel
Treble Pickup PRS Designed SE HFS Treble
Bass Pickup PRS Designed SE Vintage Bass
Pickup Switching Volume and Push/Pull Tone Control with 3-Way Blade Pickup Selector

Differences are in Woods, Hardware is "PRS Designed" vs. "PRS S2" and the "PRS S2" tuners are locking. and the scarf joint and heel Does that merit a £500 price gap? I'm not sold.

EDIT MKII: Improved accuracy to satisfy a poker :P
Last edited by Bassface7 at Jul 11, 2013,
Quote by Bassface7
For those interested:

Differences are in Woods, Hardware is "PRS Designed" vs. "PRS S2" and the "PRS S2" tuners are locking. Does that merit a £500 price gap? I'm not sold.

and the scarf joint and heel.
I fix for you. I really like the scarf joints that are starting to become pretty common these days
Gorram it! Fixed again.

Be interested to hear from someone who's played one. Or even seen one in the flesh
i'm sure my sam ash will have them in soon. they get a lot of the newer PRS stuff because it sells at that location faster than most others. they have plenty of USA and SE guitars as well so comparing would be pretty simple.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by TehDutchDude
The custom is nearly $2000 at Thomann. Moving on

Yeah PRS are 2x the price outside of the USA.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ok i got a chance to play a couple of these.

the finish/shape/feel was similar to the SE line. similar, not identical. i think the finishes are thinner on these, at least that is how it seemed different from the SE line. pretty sure poly, but not as thick and dipped in clear like those seem to me.

i checked over a Mira hardtail. brass posts for the bridge, brass posts on the tuners too.

the mahogany wasn't the nicest grain pattern, no biggie that's just this one. light guitar, didn't weigh very much, bonus.

very resonant unplugged.

i liked how it sounded plugged it, clean, dirt, etc. it was a rocker for sure but could do nice sparkly cleans with a roll back of the volume. prs's are good for that, treble bleed circuit.

i mean, i'm not a fan of the scarf joint but i realize it's not that big of a deal. well it is but it isn't and shouldn't be probably.

the trem on the custom did remind me more of the SE line than the hardware on the mira. but that's just the trem. i never had a problem with them on the SE guitars.

overall i was impressed.

i can understand PRS wanting something MIA to compete with the LP Studio guitar market. right at the same $1000 of a new strat or SG.

i'd say the S-2 line competes well with fender/gibson offerings of about the same price.

to each their own, they won't be for everyone but bang/buck is pretty good. should be nice in the used market too.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I've had a secret crush on the Mira since it launched.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER