So I recently moved from NYC to Nashville, and I am addicted to the used gear Craigslist in this city. It is a literal treasure trove or fairly-priced instruments, and friendly people who don't bail on you constantly. It's amazing.

That said, I had a guitar I wanted to trade. Didn't want cash, just a new sound, since I wasn't getting along with it and didn't need another HH guitar. Found a guy who had an acoustic/electric mandolin (a new sound that I've been dying to try!) and this guitar to trade me. Objectively, he got a better deal, but I am psyched because I have two sounds I didn't have before.

I present to you, my new Squier VM jaguar!

As you can probably see, the guy who I got it from painted the headstock to match and applied a Fender waterslide. He didn't try to pass it off as a Fender, I knew what I was getting, and I don't pretend I'm playing a Fender either. I have a few other Fenders, and this guy hangs with the big boys.

There's also a Mustang bridge, which is a huge improvement (a mod I would have made, if it wasn't already on there). The guy scratched 'duncan designed' off the pickups, which looks MUCH cleaner, and he installed a tort guard, which looks incredible. I'm loving this color combo.

This guitar plays so nicely. I am LOVING the short scale, it's a little shorter than a Gibson, which was my favorite scale before I played this guy. I've been moving towards short scale lately, playing my Mustang Bass more than my Precision, and now my Jaguar more than my Tele/SG. The tremolo is fun, I have a Bigsby on my SG so it's nice to be able to play trem parts on a Fender, since I previously had to pick either fender sound, or tremolo. Now I have both in one place!

The SOUND! Oh my gosh, the sound. It's perfect. This is a sound I've been chasing in my head for a long time, and the Tele got close, but this guy just nails it. I pretty much always use the two pickups together, strangle switch off. I've been using the lead circuit as a killswitch, but I'm sure as I play this guitar out, I'll find a use for it. The Jaguar and my Princeton have become best friends, they compliment each other perfectly. I rarely play with OD/Distortion, but this guitar sings beautifully when I do.

How about some clips? I just recorded a song for my band (me and my girlfriend, really) to celebrate making our Kickstarter goal to release our EP.

https://soundcloud.com/lavenderlane/if-you-want-to-sing-out

https://www.facebook.com/lavenderlanemusic for more music!

Instrumentation is:
Ukulele to the left, mic'ed
Jaguar to the right, mic'ed through Princeton
Mustang Bass DI Center
Vocal Mic'ed center

Here's a pic from the session in my home studio:

I got the Auralex treatment for $99 on Nash Craigslist, and I got that Korg SV-1 on the Nash Craigslist as well (but there's a whole other story for how I started with $450 cash and ended with that keyboard). The Korg and Jaguar will be our stage setup for gigging, so it's nice that they match!

Anyway, I'm now officially a shortscale offset addict
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jul 10, 2013,
Sweet. When I first saw it and saw it was a Squier, I was like, "Wait a minute, that doesn't come with a painted headstock?!?!" Then I, of course, read on further.

Sweet guitar.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, looks nice, a lot better than the original. HNGD
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thanks dudes! I agree, it looks way better than a non-matching headstock. I probably wouldn't have painted it myself, but I'm glad that someone else already did it for me!

It's funny, I'm absolutely 100% satisfied with how it sounds and plays, yet I'm dying to experiment with different string gauges, pickup heights, different pickups altogether, a new tremolo system...it's madness, because I'm so happy with it, but it's so easy to mod!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Thanks dudes! I agree, it looks way better than a non-matching headstock. I probably wouldn't have painted it myself, but I'm glad that someone else already did it for me!

It's funny, I'm absolutely 100% satisfied with how it sounds and plays, yet I'm dying to experiment with different string gauges, pickup heights, different pickups altogether, a new tremolo system...it's madness, because I'm so happy with it, but it's so easy to mod!

Do it! If you're loving the 24" scale, a used Squier CV Duosonic is pretty inexpensive. They were on MF's Stupid Deal for 150 a few weeks back.

Also, do a cover of Tubthumping, different from your stuff.
Quote by Ippon
Do it! If you're loving the 24" scale, a used Squier CV Duosonic is pretty inexpensive. They were on MF's Stupid Deal for 150 a few weeks back.

Also, do a cover of Tubthumping, different from your stuff.

I think I might go for a full-on Mustang one day. I need a good tremolo for what my band does, I can't use a hardtail for more than one or two songs.

I used to know how to play tubthumping, actually. Not sure if I want to revive that one any time soon though! The other two covers that we have in current rotation are Sun in an Empty Room by The Weakerthans and Chinese Translation by M. Ward.

We're all over the place, no two songs sound the same. Our latest tune is a swampy tremolo-heavy song in Drop D that sounds like The Civil Wars mixed with Nirvana. It's weird!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass