I have this riff in my head, with a melody as well, and I can't for the life of me come up with another part. the riff in my mind Is a chorus, so I am asking for any ideas on where to go for the verse/refrain. its very simple...4/4....A (5th fret low e string) power chord for 2 bars, D flat/C sharp (4th fret a string) power chord for 1 bar, and C flat/B sharp (3rd fret a string) power chord for 1 bar....simple like many great songs, but I cant figure out where to go, or how to come into that. any ideas? thanks!!
Quote by tonedefff
I have this riff in my head, with a melody as well, and I can't for the life of me come up with another part. the riff in my mind Is a chorus, so I am asking for any ideas on where to go for the verse/refrain. its very simple...4/4....A (5th fret low e string) power chord for 2 bars, D flat/C sharp (4th fret a string) power chord for 1 bar, and C flat/B sharp (3rd fret a string) power chord for 1 bar....simple like many great songs, but I cant figure out where to go, or how to come into that. any ideas? thanks!!

Just pointing out the B# and C are enharmonic, not B# and Cb.

What notes are in your melody?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yess....my mistake, I promise my theory is much better than that haha. I have attached what I have so far, melody is on top. The key is A Major, the notes in the melody are are A, C#, B, G#, F#, C#, B.
Attachments:
song4.pdf
Just noticed I also screwed up the progression on my original post, 4th bar is 2nd fret A string, you'll see it on the PDF.
Try playing these chords in verse:
Am Am G C F Dm C G (repeat)

Punk-o-matic ftw.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
I don't think we can help you. It's your song and only you can tell where to go. I have lots of unfinished ideas and I know the feeling. But still, only you can tell where to go. Try hearing something. You could also add some more instruments to make the part more interesting. That might also inspire you to write the next part.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
Try playing these chords in verse:
Am Am G C F Dm C G (repeat)

Punk-o-matic ftw.

Thank you...will def try...
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I don't think we can help you. It's your song and only you can tell where to go. I have lots of unfinished ideas and I know the feeling. But still, only you can tell where to go. Try hearing something. You could also add some more instruments to make the part more interesting. That might also inspire you to write the next part.

True, but remember many of the great songs have been collaborations. I am pretty good at writing riffs, but not good at putting them together, annoys the hell out of me. Usually I sit on them until they work, but this ones a bit different....its for somebody, and it's kind of over due.
Quote by tonedefff
True, but remember many of the great songs have been collaborations.

Not usually by people who couldn't put together material on their own though. Your statements so far in this thread imply that you have a consistent problem with structuring material which is something you definitely need to work on.

I am pretty good at writing riffs, but not good at putting them together, annoys the hell out of me.

Usually in contemporary commercial or 'pop' music you just want a very simple contrast of ideas between the verses and the choruses. For example, you could have a thin texture with just a bass line and maybe a single note guitar part for the verse, and then a chorus with fully fleshed out chords. Or you could use a minor key for the verses and switch to the relative or parallel major for the chorus. You could have a change of vocal style, for example using something between talking and singing hanging on a single note for the verses and then moving to a more traditionally sung style for the choruses. You could get the drummer to switch up the beat, or the piano player to move from playing chord stabs without the pedal to using pedal legato. Anything you can think of that's going to be a signal to the audience that we've moved into a different bit of music here basically.

Using other songs as a reference point can be helpful.

Also don't be afraid to change what you've already got to fit in with other parts you might come up with.
You could try something chords where the upper voice is your melody, simple palm muted power chord, arpeggiate some stuff. Just mess around with what's in the key. You could go parallel minor or relative. Or you could do the relative harmonic minor. Might sounds cool.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Nietsche
Not usually by people who couldn't put together material on their own though. Your statements so far in this thread imply that you have a consistent problem with structuring material which is something you definitely need to work on.

Usually in contemporary commercial or 'pop' music you just want a very simple contrast of ideas between the verses and the choruses. For example, you could have a thin texture with just a bass line and maybe a single note guitar part for the verse, and then a chorus with fully fleshed out chords. Or you could use a minor key for the verses and switch to the relative or parallel major for the chorus. You could have a change of vocal style, for example using something between talking and singing hanging on a single note for the verses and then moving to a more traditionally sung style for the choruses. You could get the drummer to switch up the beat, or the piano player to move from playing chord stabs without the pedal to using pedal legato. Anything you can think of that's going to be a signal to the audience that we've moved into a different bit of music here basically.

Using other songs as a reference point can be helpful.

Also don't be afraid to change what you've already got to fit in with other parts you might come up with.

Let me just clarify a few things, although I appreciate your help, I think your a bit out of line in your first statement. Of course I need to work on that, but you realize you are insulting some of the best songwriters ever, Mcartney, Young, Clapton...all of whom collaborated on many of their biggest hits.

Second, again I appreciate your explanation on what makes good chorus's and verses...I was a music director for a radio station, I was a live sound engineer, I am currently a drum teacher. I know every nuance that goes into song structure and arrangements. I'm not a virtuoso guitarist like many of you....I am simply writing a song for my girlfriend for our anniversary, and I'm stuck, and I was hoping to get some ideas from some good people on here.
Quote by BladeSlinger
You could try something chords where the upper voice is your melody, simple palm muted power chord, arpeggiate some stuff. Just mess around with what's in the key. You could go parallel minor or relative. Or you could do the relative harmonic minor. Might sounds cool.

Good idea, maybe I can take the relative minor (which would be F#) start with a melody and build some chords off that....thanks!!
Quote by tonedefff
True, but remember many of the great songs have been collaborations. I am pretty good at writing riffs, but not good at putting them together, annoys the hell out of me. Usually I sit on them until they work, but this ones a bit different....its for somebody, and it's kind of over due.

OK, so you want to collaborate? Many people don't want to collaborate because they want to write their OWN songs and if somebody else writes with them they aren't their OWN songs any more and they sound different from the original idea and blablabla. I have no problems with collabs. I like them, we have made some cool songs with my friend. I'm also not that great at coming up with parts that would fit my song ideas but somehow it feels pretty easy to come up with something that would fit my friend's ideas. Or sometimes I do come up with parts but most of the time I just come up with something too generic or something that doesn't fit the song (destroys the flow). I have lots of unfinished ideas and just a couple of full songs (that would maybe need lyrics and singing). It's just easier to collaborate with my friend. I think we have pretty similar style or we know each other's styles.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 10, 2013,