Page 1 of 2
hi im looking to buy either a 5150/6505 or one of the new blackstar 100 watt solid state heads. there both in my price range but i really wanted to know if anyone has tried the new id series from blackstar. i mostly play metalcore/numetal so that's why i think a 6505 will go great but the blackstar looks more versatile. any thoughts? btw cab is a over sized recto cab. price range 500-650.
Last edited by Ibanez016 at Jul 10, 2013,
Wow. Have not seen a Solid State vs Tube thread in a while.

I think most will say 5150/6505+ and I have only heard that the ID series is a bit lack luster but let's try this instead OK?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

(use the edit function and update your OP please)
Something a lotta people overlook when buying a new amp is resale value. Nothing wrong with a lil forward thinking. Maybe both amps cost the same new but one may be easier to sell and retain its value better. The Peavey is obvious but you may have to guess-timate for the blackstar if it's new.
Depends on the amp, budget and what you are doing with it.

If you are going to play death metal, nothing beats an SS Ampeg VH140c. For everything else, prolly some type of tube amp.

For bedroom or practicing, it depends.
its gonna be for a band/project and i found a used 6505 for 550 and the blackstar is about 650 new.
Quote by 667
Depends on the amp, budget and what you are doing with it.

If you are going to play death metal, nothing beats an SS Ampeg VH140c. For everything else, prolly some type of tube amp.

For bedroom or practicing, it depends.
+1

There is no best between the two, it just depends on what you're looking for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are definitely more good tube amps than good solid states, but the whole "TUBEZ R EVRYTHING AND EVRYTHING ELSE IZ SHITE LAWL!!!!!111" crap gets pretty old.

Different genres and playing styles require different things from their equipment, and no, tubes are not always superior.

That said, you can't go wrong with a 6505. It's a great amp.
As a big modeller guy, even I'd go for the 6505 here. Myself, I don't see much point in buying a modelling head; the actual hardware that produces the sound isn't especially fragile (compared to tubes) or big; (compared to tubes) if you were gonna go modelling, buy something that's not a head (pedal format) and run it through the PA/home speakers. It's basically a huge box for an IC the size of a postage stamp and a little bit of support hardware, without the easy control of a pedal format. Just with an integrated PSU that might be hard to replace when it goes bad and an integrated clean power amp.

My point in a nutshell is: why would you buy such a huge box to house this?

(image thanks to http://forum.musicradar.com/showthread.php?126053-Blackstar-ID60TVP)
Last edited by jameswilddev at Jul 10, 2013,
Bet you that Vox sounded good. PTP wiring, love the "delay" spring.

Funny how Blackstar packed 1/8 of circuitry in that enclosure, they could've gone the way that Polish manufacturer Taurus did and not hide the fact that you're using new technology:

SS doesn't always sound bad. There's one local band where they used a ghastly sounding multifx unit (Digitech) and made it sound good. The trick? The recording engineer used vintage preamp circuitry (Neve lunchbox module pres) with lots of character thanks to huge transformers, which put some life back in the signal. They also put him through a Vintage Marshall Blackface amp's power section.
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 11, 2013,
I've owned pretty much every high gain metal amp known to man, the only one I keep coming back to and have kept is my 5150.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Ibanez016
its gonna be for a band/project and i found a used 6505 for 550 and the blackstar is about 650 new.

defs the 6505. you'll lose money on the blackstar if you decide to sell it down the line.
actually i just found these. very nice solid state amps.

http://www.quilterlabs.com
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Dave_Mc

Over used is over used.

Honestly, let your ears tell you what sounds good.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by Dave_Mc

What if you buy a Vypyr Tube 60?

YOU'RE DIVIDING BY ZERO DAVE!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by ExDementia

And I'm sure you have heard many, many more where you had no idea that they used solid state.

I don't spend my time worrying about it unless I really like the sound.

I also wonder, how many people's only experience with solid state is their first cheap starter amp?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I also wonder, how many people's only experience with solid state is their first cheap starter amp?

these arguments have already been thrashed out, over years and years of this forum. there's a reason tube vs solid state threads aren't allowed. because it's just the same old arguments, every single time. then people get bitter and start making it personal, then the thread turns into a shitfight.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
these arguments have already been thrashed out, over years and years of this forum. there's a reason tube vs solid state threads aren't allowed. because it's just the same old arguments, every single time. then people get bitter and start making it personal, then the thread turns into a shitfight.

Here? Nah! No way! You lie :p

Honestly, people need to relax and just use what they like now and forget about resale value or what others think. Realistically, most people will be in bar bands (if they can get/keep one going) they don't need equipment that costs thousands. But hey, I wouldn't turn down any of that and I totally understand the want.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Over used is over used.

Honestly, let your ears tell you what sounds good.

why would i use my ears when i have batman to guide me?

but seriously, though, I mean i agree that ss isn't necessarily bad. just in practice tube more often than not is, and ss more often than not isn't.

Quote by Eppicurt

dammit
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
why would i use my ears when i have batman to guide me?

but seriously, though, I mean i agree that ss isn't necessarily bad. just in practice tube more often than not is, and ss more often than not isn't.

dammit

I had 3 SS amps before the valve I have now. Valve is more clear at higher volumes.

Clarity is a concern. I have a Valveking 212. Peavey.

Not a bad amp for the price. Has a nasty distortion.
Quote by Dave_Mc
why would i use my ears when i....,

True he does have fat tones and hot licks. I'm just trying to figure out how he plays 22's in E standard.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by divinorum69
I had 3 SS amps before the valve I have now. Valve is more clear at higher volumes.

Clarity is a concern. I have a Valveking 212. Peavey.

Not a bad amp for the price. Has a nasty distortion.
And I cut through better with my SS Ampeg than my tube Carvin. Anecdotal evidence. Proves nothing either way.

OP, the 6505 is never a bad choice for metal, and the 112 combos can be found for surprisingly cheap if you look in the right places.
Quote by Eppicurt

On topic, how is this even a question? 6505 vs Blackstar ID? Uh........

(hint: The 6505 will crush the ID.)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ExDementia
And I cut through better with my SS Ampeg than my tube Carvin. Anecdotal evidence. Proves nothing either way.

OP, the 6505 is never a bad choice for metal, and the 112 combos can be found for surprisingly cheap if you look in the right places.

Anecdotal evidence which proves that you have to choose the one that sounds better for your ears.
Thanks for the suggestions guys I just tried out the blackstar at Sam ash yesterday and it really is just all hype. It was really quieter than the 6505 but that could have been that I ran them with separate cabs.anyways I would recommend anyone buying one if blackstar Id series the effects are just meh and the only good thing was the option to choose different tubes voicings.
Quote by Ibanez016
the only good thing was the option to choose different tubes voicings.

and all without tubes.

hey do you know what else effects the voicing of amps? tone knobs.

glad you checked out the BS amp, now that's over.
Tube amp vs SS modeler? I choose tube amp. Better to have the real thing instead of something that resembles it.

Tube amp vs SS amp that does its own thing instead of mimicing something its not? Something like oldschool and latest Randalls or old Ampegs/Crates? That would depend on the music I play. They do things differently and sound different.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by ExDementia

There might be hope for the future!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by divinorum69
why so?

People are starting to get that the Internet is a starting point and your ears should be the end point. I mean, sometimes I think Peavey pays people to push the Vypyr here. I think the Vypyr is awesome, but it is not the answer to every amp need.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
The Vyper gets recommended a lot because it's cheap. In value for money it's great but it doesn't get recommended every time, just when people have limited budgets.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
People are starting to get that the Internet is a starting point and your ears should be the end point. I mean, sometimes I think Peavey pays people to push the Vypyr here. I think the Vypyr is awesome, but it is not the answer to every amp need.

Ahh I get it now.
thanks.

They told me this in class. If it looks ok, it is ok (in regards to hand sketching drawings for architectural projections) .

Similar analogy can be made for guitar tone... if it sounds ok, then it is. You have to have patience and an impartial hearing.
Page 1 of 2