I was wondering how you guys and gals of the pit listen to music when it has lyrics that you disagree with/make you uncomfortable to hear?

Say there are lyrics like these and you happen to be a Christian:

Come to the cryptic tombs, hear their call
Fire rises up high from the mouth of Hell
Strong as iron and steel I attack with hate
Dark legions in service of Satan strike with lethal fate

Destroy sons of Christ - Attack sons of Christ

If you enjoy the music, would this turn you off since it's an attack on your belief system or would you ignore the lyrics altogether and keep listening?

What if you were a non-Christian and heard these:

Now I am not my own, I was bought with a price –
bought with the blood of heaven’s precious King.
So now I gladly give You all of my life, to manifest Your goodness in everything.
Only You can set me free, only You can set me free, so I fix my eyes upon You.
Only You can set me free, only You can set me free, You’re the One that I belong to.
(I belong to You)

Would hearing lyrics about praising the Christian, or really any, deity put you off the music and make you uncomfortable, or would you continue listening?

Other examples would be if you felt like lyrics on the metaphysical or fictional concepts were pointless and that would diminish the impact of the music, or if heavy political statements felt like they tarnished the music. So, what I'm trying to ask is how you deal with songs/bands that have lyrics that are opposing or in disagreement with your own beliefs and feelings?
varies

like ill listen to nsbm and be like I understand your point and respect your opinion although I may not agree but then ill listen to korn and be offended

i don't know
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
If its demonstrable that a band holds true to something unethical or morally ******ed and it has an effect on their music and their motives, then I'll generally stay away from it.

Religiously themed music tends to be terrible on either end of the spectrum, usually cuz its simply bland music.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I never take lyrics seriously. Therefore, I have 0 issues with their content, and never get offended by them.

In short, I'm not a bitch.
I hate lyrics about politics, I consider myself to be an independant. Especially when I hear people complain more about conservative lyrics and being 'ok' with liberal lyrics. Also I'm a casual catholic and don't mind lyrics bashing religion, or lyrics pushing religion. Just like with the political ones, I don't have to listen to anything I don't want to.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
The problem with Christian music is it's very difficult to not be heavy handed trying to cram in a message about the creator of the universe in a 3 minute tune
I don't like listening to lyrics that are really aggressively pushing an agenda that I don't support.

I love listening to lyrics that espouse ideals I support.
Quote by willT08
The problem with Christian music is it's very difficult to not be heavy handed trying to cram in a message about the creator of the universe in a 3 minute tune

I feel like that would be a job for a progressive rock band, but not about god, like an awesome new story. Though which prog rock band would do the best in that?
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
It's easy. Don't be offended by someone elses opinion.

Because that's what most lyrics are. Messages about society, about love, about wars, about drugs, about partying, the list goes on. All are valid topics for lyrics, but I have yet to find a song with lyrics that don't speak from someones viewpoint, that don't speak about how it affects someones feels or emotions, or worse: opinions.

So I listen to all kinds of music, with all kinds of lyrics, and tend to keep an open mind, but I never feel horrible for having listened to it, or offended because it's about someone slightly too right-winged, or left-winged.
Quote by guitarist5477
I hate lyrics about politics, I consider myself to be an independant. Especially when I hear people complain more about conservative lyrics and being 'ok' with liberal lyrics.

****ing shit
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by captainsnazz
You're using metal lyrics as an example which doesn't really work because all metal lyrics are silly.

****ing shit
Quote by korinaflyingv
Religious thoughts aside, those lyrics were pretty cringey
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive