Hey everyone,

I have been away from UG for many years now but now that I'm building my first guitar from scratch I'm back with some questions.

Online at sites like Warmoth and Stew-Mac their neck blanks are 3/4" or 1" thick. However, when I look at my own set neck guitar (Gibson Explorer) and photos of other people's set neck builds, the neck heel looks much thicker than 1". I have had trouble finding information specific to the construction of set necks for electric guitars.

I bought a 1" thick piece of hard maple and I'm hesitant to work on the guitar not knowing if I am doing things the right way.

Am I supposed to be starting with a thicker piece of wood or is a thicker wood block glued onto the end that connects to the body? Is the thick heel actually part of the body and I'm just confusing myself?

Thanks in advance.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
What are the dimensions exactly? If they're 1" thick and 4" wide, cut them in half and rotate both pieces by 90 degrees. Glue then up with a strip between to make up your width. Either that, or just glue a block to the heel. You'll see both done quite often.
Is there any inherent benefit of doing a three piece neck like the first way you described? I'm thinking I would prefer to glue a block for the heel as it would be less wood I would have to remove later.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Assuming the you join it well, it should be stronger and more resistant to warping, but it's something you can look into for later builds. As long as you look after it, having a one piece neck isn't going to cause issues.
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me.

...and for getting my posting privileges back!
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12