Poll: Should Scotland go independent from the UK?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should Scotland go independent from the UK?
Yes (Scottish)
8 21%
No (Scottish)
3 8%
Yes (not Scottish)
14 36%
No (not Scottish)
14 36%
Voters: 39.
Page 1 of 2
A lost of talk in the UK media recently about Scotland going independent. Apparently the Scottish people get a referendum on it next year.

I'm half Scottish, half English and think it would be a terrible, impractical idea.

What are your thoughts?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Sounds like a blast.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Well... Would be good some people.

Bad for others.

I'm half Scottish too but I'd still say I'm English They want it they will vote for it and get it. It's the Scottish people's choice.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
SCOTTISH NOT BRITISH

Seriously though, yes, because England can't be trusted not to vote for the Conservatives
Quote by magnus_maximus
And after independence we'll still be British, we just won't share a parliament with England.

Lucky bastards.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by magnus_maximus
Yes. 100% yes. We can afford it, it's easily workable, and it would be better for all involved.

Really? You can afford your own Navy, Air Force, Army, NHS, Education system, Civil Service etc. without the rest of the UK chipping in?

Quote by magnus_maximus
Yeah, the south-East's penchant for Conservatism does rather grate, especially since we in Scotland haven't voted for the Tories since 1955 but have had 8 Tory Governments since then

Electoral system needs to change. I live in the South East, definitely will never vote tory, but first past the post means my vote in my area will NEVER count.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Jul 10, 2013,
They should do it so they can deprive England of their newly crowned wimbledon champ.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
How do Scottish people feel about being called/classified British?

inb4 Andy Murray
Well you should've thought about that before you lost that war, or whatever happened that resulted in you being our bitch.
Quote by magnus_maximus
We're part of the British isles. It's geography, not politics.

I know, but that doesn't really answer my question
Quote by magnus_maximus
Yup. We pay £3.3bn in taxes for the military but but only get £2bn reinvested.

We already pay for education and the NHS via the block grant, which in itself already undervalues our fiscal contribution to the UK. It isn't subsided at all.

Scotland actually runs with 0 debt and with a small surplus, despite spending less on welfare per capita than the rest of the UK.

Financially we subsidise the rest of you lot quite heavily.

Since you seem quite learned on this subject...if you get independence, will people travelling to work across the border have to undergo customs checks daily? New border controls implemented on roads etc.? Also will I have to pay international rates to text my friends and call my family members who live in Scotland?

I'm moving to Scotland... Police there didn't get shafted with the Windsor reforms and get the proper pension still... And £250k more over the span of their career... Yep.

It's decided

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Since you seem quite learned on this subject...if you get independence, will people travelling to work across the border have to undergo customs checks daily? New border controls implemented on roads etc.? Also will I have to pay international rates to text my friends and call my family members who live in Scotland?

We're closing the borders. Rebuilding Hadrian's Wall.
It should be a laugh. Plus, we deserve it. I mean, we pretty much invented everything.

Also, if you're Scottish, you are British, even though you might not identify as British.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by Trowzaa
We're closing the borders. Rebuilding Hadrian's Wall.

I'm sure if they kick off, we can just offer them Newcastle.
Give it to the Welsh.

We let you keep it for a reason.

Quote by magnus_maximus
We also aren't privatising our NHS, schools and everything else

Don't even start.

I'm awaiting the day May gives G4S patrol status

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by magnus_maximus
Technically we still own Doncaster.

You can keep it.

No, no, by all means if it's yours.
Surely us British people should be standing together and working together in the face of the increasingly globalised world instead of splitting off into ever smaller states?

I mean...what next? The North could go independent. Then London might decide to go independent....then Cornwall. Where does it stop?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Surely us British people should be standing together and working together in the face of the increasingly globalised world instead of splitting off into ever smaller states?

We're all in this together, right?
Quote by magnus_maximus
Shared values don't end at the white cliffs of Dover. Scotland is better at managing Scotland than London is. We can more efficiently use our own resources to make a wealthy, prosperous nation and through trade improve the lot of our biggest trading partners - the rUK. A wealthy Scotland would show that leftism can work and would revitalise the left in E&W.

Left wing parties should be a lot more popular in E&W thought, it's just our stupid first past the post system means that many peoples votes don't count.

The way you've explained it Scottish independence is an incredibly expensive and long winded way of getting a more left-wing Britain when the real solution is just to change the electoral system to something more representative.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

I mean...what next? The North could go independent. Then London might decide to go independent....then Cornwall. Where does it stop?

Lol there aren't enough tax payers left in the North for it to become independent.

And it sort of stops at national borders as you know, Scotland is its own country...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by bradulator
They should do it so they can deprive England of their newly crowned wimbledon champ.

Case closed, /thread, no need for due process of democracy we have a silver bullet.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by magnus_maximus
It's about breaking a Union of Parliaments which has never served our interests nor even the people of the rUK. We get dragged into illegal wars, have nukes next to our most populous city, an unelected head of state and an unelected upper hours. I was once a democrat/federalist/unionist but the reality is that within my lifetime we will not, within the UK, have a proportionally representative system and a democratically elected head of state.

Bear in mind...actions of Westminster did keep Scotland away from such a giant economic crisis (like what happened in Ireland), apparently if you were independent and something like the events of the late 00s had happened again...Scotland might be in a Greece-like situation without the shelter from the UK Parliament.

Quote by raoooos

Seriously though, yes, because England can't be trusted not to vote for the Conservatives

Heh. All the people that Cameron's ****ed off with the Uni prices will be old enough to vote at the next election. There's no chance the Tories are gonna win.
We'll see. It's not York's fault if they win though, we're Labour through and through
I don't want a Tory goverment...can my household go independent with no repercussions too?

As an outsider, I'm pretty sure the Tories are going to win again.

For ****'s sake stop voting for them though.

I'm a yank who voted for the last option; however, it is obviously not my choice to make and I think it's great the Scottish are getting a referendum, something that will never happen to sub-ordinate nations in my country.

I'm leaning towards a unionist view but I understand the arguments for independence and think they are valid.
I don't want Scotland to get independent, that takes away one of my standard jokes that I make against Scots.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by magnus_maximus
I met a Dutchman

your country is tiny apparently

huehuehuehuehue

Tiny, but actually useful.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
lol @ UK and Europe being made up of small tiny little nations. Manifest Destiny maaafuggasss.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by magnus_maximus
lol at the us getting a president half the country didn't even want

lol @ Scotland being ruled by another state.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by magnus_maximus
lol at the us getting a president half the country didn't even want

Isn't that with every country though?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I am all for Scottish independence. Partially because I am around 90% Scottish in ancestry, partly because I have studied up on it and think it would work, and partly because I am a starry-eyed idealist who thinks every little village that has ever had its own flag should be independent. Catalonia, those Walloon people, Northern Italy.. Screw unity, I like a little variety in my maps.
Page 1 of 2