So I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (after reading about in the buyer's guide) to replace my cheap Fast Track. I can not figure this thing out. I've tried it in Reaper and GarageBand and haven't got it yet. I've installed drivers and all that.

In GarageBand it's showing up as my input source but "Recording Level" is greyed out. I can't get any response from the microphone unless it's both the input and output, then it's super quiet. But if it's both then I can't listen to my tracks right after I record them. No monitoring at all. I'm getting really frustrated.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I haven't got the foggiest when it comes to Mac or GarageBand, but I'll try and offer some advice anyway. Make sure you have installed all the correct drivers that come on the disc that was in the box with your interface. It may be worth checking to see if they're the most up-to-date version, too.

In Reaper, go to Options -> Preferences. Click on the Audio System drop-down menu at the top. There will probably be one that wasn't here before you had the drivers. As you're running on Mac, I don't know what to look for here, I'm not sure if it will be some sort of ASIO-emulator or a separate audio driver for Mac. Perhaps someone else will be able to shed some light here.

When you've found the right one, make sure you're arming your track properly and using the correct input from your interface. Check for any dumb stuff like phantom power, mic/line levels etc, and I think you should be good to go then.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
I got it to work in GarageBand even though I can't change the recording level in GB. What I haven't done is got it working in Reaper on my PC. I can get sound with ASIO but I can't monitor it. So I have no clue what I sound like until I record. It's extremely time consuming to constantly record to check if a VST sounds right.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You have made sure that the Monitor dial is set to the far right... right?

Else you're only monitoring the input.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
You have made sure that the Monitor dial is set to the far right... right?

Else you're only monitoring the input.

This, and make sure the monitor button is pressed in on the tracks you want to be monitoring.
Yeap, little square with an arrow on wants to be lit up on the track you're trying to monitor in Reaper.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan