Hey guys, I used to have an Epiphone Les Paul standard and played it through a Line 6 IV amp on and off for about 6 months before deciding to sell it about a year ago. I've recently started missing guitar and having a strong urge to pick it up again after hearing lots of classic rock songs at work. So, today I picked up my acoustic guitar for the first time in a year and played "Free Fallin" by Tom Petty and that just confirmed that I do want to purchase another electric guitar and take it more seriously this time. (Last time i tried i got discouraged by not being able to play good songs and my notes sounding unclear)

With all of that being said, I have a VERY wide range of music that I enjoy. All the way from modern heavy metal to old rock such as Guns N' Roses, Ozzy, Rush, Kansas, Journey, Def Leapord, Etc. The thing I didnt like about my Les Paul was that it did not sound good anything modern, I couldnt come close to replicating the modern rock songs that i wanted to play and that was also discouraging, and when it did sound similar it was very hard to understand as each note sounded like it just moulded together and it sounded like a mess...(Unless that was just my terrible playing).

So the long and short of my long story is that I need a guitar for under $300 that I can play all of those music sounds on. I know that might be too much to ask for, but if it helps I'm willing to buy it used so i can get a better deal.

I was looking at Schecter Omen 6, Ibanez ART100, Dean MAB3 in particular, but I know theres much more than that out there....

Thank you for all of your help!
as an owner of the ART, I can tell you it's a very nice guitar. As I haven't had that much experience, wouldn't know how good the pickups are, but they aren't too bad to my ears. If you look used, you could potentially bag a better one too, a little higher up in the range for roughly the same price.

It seems you're making a decision to get a non-trem guitar too, which is probably a good decision considering the difficulties they can apparently cause.

So in my eyes, I'd say go for the Ibanez, partially cause it just looks gorgeous (plus I think the inlays are a cool addition)!

About the schecter, if you are looking to get one, maybe look into buying an omen extreme (used), as in the UK, you can get a used one for the same price as a used standard omen.
Actually should be receiving my new red Omen extreme soon!
Last edited by ambler3 at Jul 10, 2013,
Perhaps it was your amp that didn't sound good enough?

There's so very many tonal options out there it would be more surprising if it did sound like your heroes than not!

That said, for maximum guitar enjoyment, find a neck that works for you. Get your hands on!
Thanks for the replies, and yes I know my amp wasnt that great and it wasnt a tube amp so im sure that was part of my problem...I should look into a better amp.

And Ambler, do you think the ART100 that you have sounds good in both classic rock and modern metal? And what amp are you using?
The Omen is a very cheap used guitar, so cheap that it competes directly with the "beginner non-guitar" electric guitars you find at Wal-Mart. But it is a real instrument, very good for the price but no match for an LP Standard (imo.) The pickups are muddy and the neck is like a baseball bat, but it's built like a Panzer tank and it stays in tune thanks to the string-thru body design. I guess it gets my tentative recommendation if $100-$150 is all you have to spend. If you buy an Omen, you could take that extra $200 and sink it into a better amp.

At the upper end of your guitar budget, the Ibanez artcore guitars get good reviews and Fender MIM strats and teles are usually under 300 used. I've also seen used Eastwood and Reverend guitars used in your price range. If you liked your Epi Standard, you might as well buy an Epi LP with coil tapping, it will be more than versatile enough for most music. Your amp is where most of your sound comes from.

For classic rock, I play an LTD Viper 1000 with seymour duncan passive pickups and sometimes my Modern Player Jag with p90s. P90s are great if you like the extra noise and grit it brings to your tone. If you have no money, I have found the cheapo Orange solid-state combo amps get a pretty nice dirty rock sound. They're like $60.
Quote by Vdubbin
Thanks for the replies, and yes I know my amp wasnt that great and it wasnt a tube amp so im sure that was part of my problem...I should look into a better amp.

And Ambler, do you think the ART100 that you have sounds good in both classic rock and modern metal? And what amp are you using?

Sorry, I wouldn't really be able to comment on the pickups and general sound of the guitar, don't have enough experience in that field yet. I would assume they could, but if you're interested, look up ibanez ACH pickups, they are the ones in it.

and i'm using a Kustom 100HD amp, but again I wouldn't have enough knowledge to know if it's bad, alright or pretty good. I like the tone at least.
Last edited by ambler3 at Jul 11, 2013,
^ +1
My Gear :
ESP Original Series Arrow
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Schecter Synyster Custom
Jackson Warrior WRMG
LTD MH-50
Orange Jim Root Terror Head
Orange 2x12 Closed Back Cab