Page 1 of 2
I need a good heavy metal distortion pedal. Preferably one that will fit in the small compartments in a Schecter SGR-3S Hardshell case. If it helps, my current setup is a Schecter S-1 and a Marshall MG15 DFX combo amp(Getting a Marshall JCM800/1960's Lead Slant cab, but not until Christmas). I also have a Digitech RP155 but I want a smaller, better pedal. So far, my choices are the BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone, the BOSS ML-2 Metalcore, or the Digitech Metal Master. I'm a beginner but I am very skilled for only 6 months experience, but please tell me everything you can about these and tell me if there are any better ones out there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cannot afford to get anything over $70. And $70 is pushing it. I want something that will give me an Avenged Sevenfold and Pantera tone, will work with my Marshall MG15 DFX Combo Amp, and work with a Marshall JCM800/1960 Lead Cab that I'll get for Christmas. If anyone can find any USED of any of the good stuff, please help me out.
Last edited by asalazar1664 at Jul 11, 2013,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
a cheap distortion through a cheap amp will sound good to you for approximately one week.

A cheap, low watt MG and a distortion pedal was my setup. This couldn't be more truthful.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
All of those pedals are the ones you should stay away from. A new amp will do you wonders and a Vypyr is probably the best value for you at this point.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Hardwire Metal Distortion.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by BladeSlinger
All of those pedals are the ones you should stay away from. A new amp will do you wonders and a Vypyr is probably the best value for you at this point.

Why? Are they no good?
Quote by NakedInTheRain
good sounding-ness.

So, what is good if I want to be able to achieve the Avenged Sevenfold or Pantera sound.
Quote by asalazar1664
Why, what makes a distortion pedal good?

The ones you listed sound fizzy and weak. They're bad;y made for the most part will turn a decent sounding amp into a less than decent sounding amp. If you're getting the JCM then pick up an overdrive pedal. You can use that to boost your amp. Tube amps get a much better distortion than any of those pedals you listed, and an OD will boost and tighten the amp distortion.

You could probably get somewhat close to those sounds. Not exactly, but a decent Metal tone.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I second the Hardwire Metal Distortion, Its tone is so completely customizable it's unreal.
Is the BOSS SD-1 Super Overrive any good? Synyster Gates uses it. And will it work good with my Marshall MG15 DFX until Christmas time?
Last edited by asalazar1664 at Jul 11, 2013,
Wampler Triple Wreck
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by asalazar1664
Is the BOSS SD-1 Super Overrive any good? Synyster Gates uses it.

the sd-1 isn't a distortion, it's an overdrive. he uses it as a boost into his lead channel, as i was telling you about with the tubescreamer.
Quote by TremontiAddict
Wampler Triple Wreck

Looks good, but I need to find something new or used that doesn't cost more than around $56.
Quote by asalazar1664
Looks good, but I need to find something new or used that doesn't cost more than around $56.

you're shit out of luck with that budget. there are some amazing distortion pedals out there, but they don't come cheap. your best bet is to try and find a used boss HM-2/HM-3. they're the best cheap metal distortions out there.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
you're shit out of luck with that budget. there are some amazing distortion pedals out there, but they don't come cheap. your best bet is to try and find a used boss HM-2/HM-3. they're the best cheap metal distortions out there.

Not quite, I also just said USED stuff too, so hopefully I can find thus stuff used for a good price definitely not going over $55-$65.
Here's a great shootout-video I found:

http://youtu.be/-_8DrqQSN2Q

Personally, I'd choose the Metal Muff for its tone, but for a small-package, I'd pick the Box of Metal, by Z. Vex.

Or you could get the Nano Metal-Muff and have a pretty-good approximation of the full-sized one.

TL;DR: Get a Nano Metal-Muff.

EDIT: Just saw the "$56 budget"-thing earlier in the thread.

Buy a Delta Labs RD-1 and scoop the mids of your amp. I get a pretty good metal-tone outta my amp that way.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
man, I'm so sad I made this thread now after seeing those shake shack burgers. I would buy an extra just to fuck it while I eat its siblings. then i'd eat that one too.

I am so sorry for my mother's "escapades"...
Last edited by sideslick at Jul 11, 2013,
Quote by asalazar1664
Not quite, I also just said USED stuff too, so hopefully I can find thus stuff used for a good price definitely not going over $55-$65.

Honestly man, just save your money. You can't find a good distortion pedal with that budget. You can hardly find a couple decent overdrives.

And don't look at pedals a guitarist use. Their tone is mostly coming from their amp, chops, and a little studio magic. MG's do not sound good. Pedals won't fix it. Simple as that.

So you can set your money back, maybe get a little more before the JCM then you can buy one of the cheaper OD's like a Bad Monkey and you'll be good. An OD and a noise gate would be a great start to a Metal sound.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by asalazar1664

yeah, you're shit out of luck for both new and used prices. best thing, as i said, is a used hm-2/hm-3.
Did you honestly just link a tone-king video?

Tone-king has consistently shown that he does not have a good tone.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
But will it sound good with a Marshall MG15 DFX Combo Amp? If it doesn't sound too good, I only have to wait till Christmas.
Quote by asalazar1664
But will it sound good with a Marshall MG15 DFX Combo Amp? If it doesn't sound too good, I only have to wait till Christmas.

Take the hint. It won't sound good. Just be patient and you'll get something you like.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Take the hint. It won't sound good. Just be patient and you'll get something you like.

Sorry, but compared to my current setup with a Digitech RP155?
Wow. All these comments, and you still won't listen. I'm out.

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by BladeSlinger
Honestly man, just save your money. You can't find a good distortion pedal with that budget. You can hardly find a couple decent overdrives.

And don't look at pedals a guitarist use. Their tone is mostly coming from their amp, chops, and a little studio magic. MG's do not sound good. Pedals won't fix it. Simple as that.

So you can set your money back, maybe get a little more before the JCM then you can buy one of the cheaper OD's like a Bad Monkey and you'll be good. An OD and a noise gate would be a great start to a Metal sound.

Not their studio sound, I love their live sound a bit more. Avenged Sevenfold is one of the few bands that sound as good live as they do in the studio, so I want to get close enough to their live sound.
Quote by Eppicurt
Wow. All these comments, and you still won't listen. I'm out.

Sorry, but as I said I'm still a beginner. I just don't know what to get for a good A7X/Pantera LIVE-like sound.
That's fine, but listen to people who have been through what you have and take our advice. I was exactly the same and I just rushed out and bought whatever I could because I thought it would give me a nicer tone, when I could have just saved up and bought one good thing instead of several.

Nothing about that setup will give you a sound you're after. The Vypyr will be the best decision you could make.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
GC has a used BBE Crusher for $50. I don't know a ton about it, but maybe try to listen to some sound clips of it. BBE makes some decent stuff.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by sideslick
Here's a great shootout-video I found:

http://youtu.be/-_8DrqQSN2Q

Personally, I'd choose the Metal Muff for its tone, but for a small-package, I'd pick the Box of Metal, by Z. Vex.

Or you could get the Nano Metal-Muff and have a pretty-good approximation of the full-sized one.

TL;DR: Get a Nano Metal-Muff.

EDIT: Just saw the "$56 budget"-thing earlier in the thread.

Buy a Delta Labs RD-1 and scoop the mids of your amp. I get a pretty good metal-tone outta my amp that way.

Wow. Thanks. To me, the BOSS Death Metal and the BOSS Metal Zone Sound best to me, the Death Metal one sounds just better.
Also, probably a stupid question, but, will an Amp head like the JCM800 work without any cabs? Like how a combo amp does?
Quote by Eppicurt
That's fine, but listen to people who have been through what you have and take our advice. I was exactly the same and I just rushed out and bought whatever I could because I thought it would give me a nicer tone, when I could have just saved up and bought one good thing instead of several.

Nothing about that setup will give you a sound you're after. The Vypyr will be the best decision you could make.

Try to stop the circle of bad tone but it is never-ending. Try to save them from the inevitable "ugh, this sucks" and putting down guitar for a year because their gear is just too bad to play. I've been there...and it was an MG and a distortion pedal.

We've been there, son.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I think you should wait till Christmas, so try to play with your MG distortion, not a good choice, but buying a distortion pedal while you can get a tube amp is a bad choice too, I recommend you a overdrive pedal or a booster pedal, tubescreamer or SD-1 or Malmsteen's DOD preamp or the DOD normal overdrive,with the JCM800 a tubescreamer would be the best choice I think. that what I would do if I were you, if you're sure you're going to get the JCM800 don't waste your money on distortion pedals and try to get overdrive pedals, they're useful with the MG15 and with JCM800
Quote by asalazar1664
Also, probably a stupid question, but, will an Amp head like the JCM800 work without any cabs?

No
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by asalazar1664
Wow. Thanks. To me, the BOSS Death Metal and the BOSS Metal Zone Sound best to me, the Death Metal one sounds just better.

You're a beginner. I don't think you're quite able to distinguish some tones, because those are probably the worst pedals on the market. I've owned a Death Metal before. I did what you did. I had a bad amp so I went out and bought a gimmicky pedal to fix it. I thought it sounded great for about a month. Then I realized it didn't sound great at all.

If you absolutely have to buy something, get a Bad Monkey. It is not a distortion pedal. You do not need a distortion pedal. Any pedal you use with that MG is not going to get the sound you want (Seen A7X before, been a Pantera fan for like 7 years). It will not happen. Let me reiterate.

You will not get that sound with an MG. Ever. With a $1000 pedal.

Wait and get the JCM. You will need a cab. A cab and an overdrive.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2